Astros making moves.

Awful move. 3 top prospects for a pretty good bat. And Gattis only has two years in the majors, but he's almost 30 years old. It's not like he's some 23-year-old future stud with a ton of upside. He's 28, and likely not going to develop into much more than he already is, although his numbers might improve a little joining the American League and playing half his games in Houston. But at his age, two years averaging 20 homers a year is not enough for two top prospects, much less 3.

Remember when the braves sent saltalamacchia, andrus, feliz, Harrison, and beau jones to texas for mark teixera? This could end up like that, except teixera was at least a proven all-star, and at the time one of the elite in the game. Here we are a few years later, and Harrison is a good starter, feliz is a great pitcher (when healthy), andrus is the face of the organization, and salty provided a few years of decent service. It could be that in 2-3 years all of these prospects will have a major impact for the braves, and the stros will have a 30-something 6-hole hitter batting .265 hitting 20 homers a year.

I don't totally disagree, but that was 20 homers each year in around 400 at bats in Atlanta. Moving to Houston and playing a full seasons worth of games and he could hit 30 or more. While I do agree that they gave up too much. It's really only 2 upper prospects not 3. Thurman so far has been pretty bad. Of those 2 Ruiz is the one I expect to hurt the most, but unless he taps into some power he won't be a huge loss. Folty has had plenty of time to develop and so far hasn't added a third quality pitch or learned to control his fastball. Odds are he will become a hard throwing reliever, which has plenty of value, but it's not like they gave up the farm. Now there is obviously a chance they all figure it out, but they gave up a little potential to get some proven talent. But I do think it was a little steep of a price, just not terrible.

I could be wrong, but the Astros might be trying to build some excitement now and get some fans in the seats. Last year's minor league team and a rotten TV contract hurt them badly as far as incoming revenue. I won't tune in or go to a game until they produce a good product. I will get my baseball fix watching the PNG Indians or Lamar Cardinals. A lot better bang for my buck!

Not a big fan of the trade but I think the FO saw Thurman was not developing like they thought when they drafted him and Folty has struggled with command at every level...I really liked his potential though. Ruiz was a guy with good plate discipline...saw him as a .250 with 15-20 HR guy if he developed. With Houston acquiring Colin Moran last summer I guess they though Ruiz was expendable