How is the economy doing?

westend1

The stock market is doing great. 

I am not sure how that helps the people that need help but after 6 years, people finally have to buy big tickets items. No matter how bad the economy gets, it will always recover and things have to be replaced. This isn't Cuba where those big items have to last 40 years. 

The stock market is doing great.

I am not sure how that helps the people that need help but after 6 years, people finally have to buy big tickets items. No matter how bad the economy gets, it will always recover and things have to be replaced. This isn't Cuba where those big items have to last 40 years.

wow, now you care about the needy.

wow, now you care about the needy.

Everyone always helps the "needy". It's the leeches we can't stand. Why is that so hard for you to understand? A third grader can understand it and they have no degrees yet.

Back on topic.....Trojan is correct. Oil prices dictate actually too much which way our economy heads.

I can understand your desire to discuss GDP now because we finally got a very good number for the most recent quarter. This happened not because of the administration economic policies but in spite of them. There has never been an economic recession from which we did not recover, so this is not unexpected. It could/should have happened a couple of years ago instead of taking this long. Once again, the cyclicality of the economy plays a huge role in economic declines and recoveries. Hopefully we will continue to get good numbers in subsequent quarters. If you average in the most recent quarter of 5% with the second quarter of 4.6% and the first quarter of -2.1%, you get an average of around 2.5% annualized which is still weaker than the average post recession recovery since World War 2.

And Steve, I can understand you guys no longer wanting to discuss the economy.  Just a few short years ago, it was the only thing that mattered.  Now, not so much apparently.

If I didn't want to discuss it, I wouldn't have responded. I'm game for the discussion if you are. What do you want to discuss? Since you brought up GDP, maybe that is what interests you. "Since the recession ended officially in June of 2009, the economy has produced a relatively weak average GDP of 2.2% as compared to a normal post recession recovery rate of between 3.5% and 4%. I would also remind you that it hasn't been that long since the condition of the economy was discussed on this board. I believe it was in the early part of 2014 when GDP came in at a negative figure for the ffirst quarter.