Liberty

Skilled95

See what I mean. All this hate for Liberty. You would think they were a dynasty or something. I stand corrected on students transfering. But as far as the stadium and field, it is better than Cleveland, Coldspring, Tarkington, Shepard, Hampshife Fannett, Anahuac, Hull Dasietta, West Hardin.

Hull-Daisetta has one of the nicest natural grass football fields in all of Texas. Perfect crown and beautiful grass.

Joe McCoy, Liberty's stadium and field are not better than all of those schools. That field is crappy, ask anybody that has played on it and they will tell you. I am not bashing on Liberty, but it isn't even close. Coldspring and Shepherd has newer facilities. Not the biggest but way better than in Liberty. Oh yea it is Shepherd not Shepard.

Joe McCoy, Liberty's stadium and field are not better than all of those schools. That field is crappy, ask anybody that has played on it and they will tell you. I am not bashing on Liberty, but it isn't even close. Coldspring and Shepherd has newer facilities. Not the biggest but way better than in Liberty. Oh yea it is Shepherd not Shepard.

We will have to agree to disagaree. I have sat in the stands at both Coldspring and Shepherd and Liberty out ranks. Im not talking the entire facility. I will say Liberty has probably the worst locker rooms in the state. Shepherd facilities were new and nice but stadium not so impressive.

Then we can disagree. lol. I have also sat in both of these stadiums. I have also sat in some really nice stadiums. I'm not talking about the size of the stadium, I am talking about everything from the bleachers to the field. But we both have our own opinion.

We will have to agree to disagaree. I have sat in the stands at both Coldspring and Shepherd and Liberty out ranks. Im not talking the entire facility. I will say Liberty has probably the worst locker rooms in the state. Shepherd facilities were new and nice but stadium not so impressive.

Really? you got to be joking. Coldspring's football field is a dump. The field floods, the capacity is very low, and the Pressbox is the worst.

Shepherd? lol. Really Shepherd hahaha. That's all I got to say about them!

• 4 months later...

I grew up in Liberty (went to school there through 8th grade and went to Baytown Sterling for highschool), I had a sister graduate from there, and my parents still live there. When I was a kid the football in Liberty was good (90s through early 2000s). Liberty put multiple kids into D1 schools who started and even had some NFL experience (Donald Douglas - UofH and NY Giants, Anthony Chambers - Purdue and New Orleans Saints, Tony Bua - Arkansas and Miami Dolphins, and Reggie White - Oklahoma State and Jacksonville Jaguars) all come to mind. I don't really understand why they fell off, but most towns do come on some hard times. Odds are Liberty will find a way back eventually to being respectable again, but that district is brutal. It reminds me a lot of the reason why Liberty rarely advanced far in the playoffs in the 90s. They would win the district and then get to play Newton in the first round. Even with some of Liberty's best teams Newton was just too much for them to handle. 

Personally, I like Liberty's stadium and I think a lot of Liberty people like the stadium (could be wrong, dunno), but I think they could use an upgrade on the field. I don't know if it just needs some more care or taken out and replaced with turf. It doesn't really matter to me, but the field itself could use some work. The stadium is fine for the size school Liberty is. I have some good memories of classic Liberty/Barber's HIll showdowns for district titles in that stadium in the 90s through the early 2000s. Was fun to see the stadium full and people bringing up lawn chairs to line the fence. It would be nice to see that type of excitement in Liberty again for the Panthers. In a weird way it seems like Liberty's demise sort of coincided with Barber's Hill's move to the higher classification. Maybe they just lost their nemesis, I dunno but it would be nice for Liberty to figure it back out. 

Edited by sahen

Liberty v BH?  Rivalry?  There was no rivalry like the Dayton v Liberty rivalry.  Thats what the season revolved around back then.  I remember when D Douglas ran all over us & could throw the ball a mile.  Remember the fights the week leading up to the game and of course other teenage nonsense that went on with the rivalry (statute of limitations may not be up yet).  There would be 5-7k people at the games and to me it didn't get any better.  Not sure what the head to head record is but i'm sure Dayton has the edge. Unfortunately the City of Liberty has failed to develop.  To have that rivalry back would be awesome.  Guess for now Dayton will settle for BH & Crosby.

• 2 weeks later...

Liberty v BH?  Rivalry?  There was no rivalry like the Dayton v Liberty rivalry.  Thats what the season revolved around back then.  I remember when D Douglas ran all over us & could throw the ball a mile.  Remember the fights the week leading up to the game and of course other teenage nonsense that went on with the rivalry (statute of limitations may not be up yet).  There would be 5-7k people at the games and to me it didn't get any better.  Not sure what the head to head record is but i'm sure Dayton has the edge. Unfortunately the City of Liberty has failed to develop.  To have that rivalry back would be awesome.  Guess for now Dayton will settle for BH & Crosby.

​Liberty and Dayton haven't played for a long time. I have heard stories of the Liberty and Dayton rivalry, but I was born in 1985 and I don't recall ever seeing a Liberty/Dayton game. I am not saying it wasn't an intense rivalry, but I can only pull from my experience in my post. Through the 90s and early 2000s Liberty and Barber's Hill was as close as Liberty got to a rivalry as that game almost always decided the district title with few exceptions. It wasn't one of the rivalries that had people hating the other side, it was just based off of solid football teams that nearly were always at the top of their district. I enjoyed watching that and hope Liberty can get back to that level for their town and school's sake. I am unsure that Liberty will ever grow to get back to playing Dayton. They will probably need to settle with their new rivals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...