Unbeatable teams who were beaten

In light of this epic matchup between WO-S and Gilmer, I reflect on all the teams through the years that were "unbeatable" going into the playoffs.  WO-S has been a long time between championships.  They have fallen short several times in that span with teams that were extremely talented.  Perhaps even some of those teams were considerable unbeatable in the mind of their die hard fans.  But as we all know in high school football, things don't always end up the way we expect.

Being a Jasper fan I have experienced this first hand in 2002 when we had an all world team that was dismantled by McGee/Shipley.  Going into our game with Burnet we hadn't been scored on in the playoffs.  

A couple years later in 2004 we matched up with an unbelievably talented, unbeatable, Gilmer team and matched them big play for big play, but came up short, literally by inches.

Gilmer has had many, many good teams through the years.  Their 2004 team was great, but many considered 2006 the best of them all (until 2008 came around and then they were the best to many Buckeye fans--no doubt this 2014-2015 team is the best ever in the mind of some Gilmer fans).    This 2006 team was only made better by the super move in, G.J. Kinne.  His move to Gilmer set the world on fire.  Conspiracy theories abounded, but all was cleared by the U.I.L.  Everyone annointed them unbeatable that year.  They had D-I talent all over field: G.J. Kinne, Justin Johnson (OK), Curtis Brown (UT), and David Snow (UT) are all names high football fans remember.  Besides those 4 big time players there were several other players that went on to play college ball.  Although G.J. Kinne earned the Offensive Player of the Year award the Buckeyes lost in the first round to eventual state champs, Liberty-Eylau by a score of 39-36.

There season up to that point was impressive:

Bishop Gorman  56-14

Tatum                 45-21

Daigerfield          62-42

Center                64-6

Atlanta                49-12

Sabine                49-7

White Oak          63-7

Mineola              62-12

Spring Hill          55-7

Gladewater        49-21

Buckeyes’ offense average 528.7 yards and 55.4 points per game.

Who can you remember from Texas high school football history that was unbeatable that came up short?  Tell us the story.

In light of this epic matchup between WO-S and Gilmer, I reflect on all the teams through the years that were "unbeatable" going into the playoffs.  WO-S has been a long time between championships.  They have fallen short several times in that span with teams that were extremely talented.  Perhaps even some of those teams were considerable unbeatable in the mind of their die hard fans.  But as we all know in high school football, things don't always end up the way we expect.

Being a Jasper fan I have experienced this first hand in 2002 when we had an all world team that was dismantled by McGee/Shipley.  Going into our game with Burnet we hadn't been scored on in the playoffs.  

A couple years later in 2004 we matched up with an unbelievably talented, unbeatable, Gilmer team and matched them big play for big play, but came up short, literally by inches.

Gilmer has had many, many good teams through the years.  Their 2004 team was great, but many considered 2006 the best of them all (until 2008 came around and then they were the best to many Buckeye fans--no doubt this 2014-2015 team is the best ever in the mind of some Gilmer fans).    This 2006 team was only made better by the super move in, G.J. Kinne.  His move to Gilmer set the world on fire.  Conspiracy theories abounded, but all was cleared by the U.I.L.  Everyone annointed them unbeatable that year.  They had D-I talent all over field: G.J. Kinne, Justin Johnson (OK), Curtis Brown (UT), and David Snow (UT) are all names high football fans remember.  Besides those 4 big time players there were several other players that went on to play college ball.  Although G.J. Kinne earned the Offensive Player of the Year award the Buckeyes lost in the first round to eventual state champs, Liberty-Eylau by a score of 39-36.

There season up to that point was impressive:

Bishop Gorman  56-14

Tatum                 45-21

Daigerfield          62-42

Center                64-6

Atlanta                49-12

Sabine                49-7

White Oak          63-7

Mineola              62-12

Spring Hill          55-7

Gladewater        49-21

Buckeyes’ offense average 528.7 yards and 55.4 points per game.

Who can you remember from Texas high school football history that was unbeatable that came up short?  Tell us the story.

WOS 1988

Tell us about that '88 team.  Was that the year you were going for 3 in a row?

Yes. Back to back state champions. There are a few people on here that can answer this way better than me but here it goes. I know we were on something like a 32 game win streak going into a game against a Cinderella team I think. Paris. My father said it didn't matter what adjustments we made,we just couldn't stop their run game. If I remember correctly it was unbelievably cold and wet. Was a day game at Kyle field I believe.  griff or Gasilla can fill in the blanks.

1980 TJ Yellow Jackets........Dont wanna talk about it. :angry: :angry:

tj got outcoached in the second half , that game shouldn't have even been close tj had studs all over the place . I went too hamshire and i was crushed they had lost especially after my school underachieved and lost to a team in regionals they shouldn't have lost to .

tj got outcoached in the second half , that game shouldn't have even been close tj had studs all over the place . I went too hamshire and i was crushed they had lost especially after my school underachieved and lost to a team in regionals they shouldn't have lost to .

Yup, that game is on youtube, Odessa ppl didn't let me forget about that game while I was living out West smh. 

For some people on this board and in the state, this game is over before it is even played. Go ahead and mail Gilmer the trophy and save everyone a trip to Dallas. That is some views. Stranger things have happened that wos winning the state championship. They haven't made it this far for no reason. Wos is an outstanding football team. It will take a great game to beat gilmer, but gilmer is gonna have to play great to win also. 48 minutes for the rest their lives. If they leave it all out there wos will be fine. I can't wait to see the game. Good luck wos. Way to represent setexas

Yes. Back to back state champions. There are a few people on here that can answer this way better than me but here it goes. I know we were on something like a 32 game win streak going into a game against a Cinderella team I think. Paris. My father said it didn't matter what adjustments we made,we just couldn't stop their run game. If I remember correctly it was unbelievably cold and wet. Was a day game at Kyle field I believe.  griff or Gasilla can fill in the blanks.

It was very cold. Sweep right for 7 or 8 yards, never could stop it. 

Gilmer IS NOT unbeatable. We should not even talk about them in this category. Like LaGrange, they spank teams that don't match up with them. Again, like Lagrange, when they've played teams who can match up, they've had close calls. Tatum, who lost to HJ, took them to OT if I'm not mistaken. Gladewater, had them beat, with a kid running free down the sideline and slides down thinking he needed to make sure he didn't stop the clock, but he had a TD and the game would have been over. Yes, Gilmer won those games like good teams do, but so had LG until they ran into the Stangs.

I gotta mention the 2010 Kirbyville Wildcats in this thread. After going to state in '08 and '09, we went into the 3rd round of the playoffs undefeated (12-0) in '10 with no opponent coming within 2 scores all season. Most were completely blown out and that included a brutal pre-district with the likes of Newton, WO-S, and a then-awesome Bridge City team. We had also beaten eventual state finalist Coldspring by 2tds in that pre-district. (Their only loss all yr up to the state title game) We ran into them again though in this 3rd round and despite taking an early 20-8 lead, Coldspring dug in and fought hard and ended up with the win 27-20. It was heartbreaking. They went unchallenged after that all the way to state.

I gotta mention the 2010 Kirbyville Wildcats in this thread. After going to state in '08 and '09, we went into the 3rd round of the playoffs undefeated (12-0) in '10 with no opponent coming within 2 scores all season. Most were completely blown out and that included a brutal pre-district with the likes of Newton, WO-S, and a then-awesome Bridge City team. We had also beaten eventual state finalist Coldspring by 2tds in that pre-district. (Their only loss all yr up to the state title game) We ran into them again though in this 3rd round and despite taking an early 20-8 lead, Coldspring dug in and fought hard and ended up with the win 27-20. It was heartbreaking. They went unchallenged after that all the way to state.

Until Carthage beat them like a red headed step child.

From personal knowledge, the 1991 WB Bruin football team made of numerous NFL players and college players steam rolled through the regular season beating WOS, who was #1 in 4a, highly touted 5a Yates, Deer Park, La Porte, and Leland Mcelroy Central team. I think going into the playoffs we were #4 in the state and top 20 nationally. Everyone got the big head and we got beat by Aldine McArthur in the playoffs. There were alot of folks predicting atleast a title game. Didn't happen.