Ozen's 2014 Difficulties are for a reason, but should be fine!

JRidge

Ozen has a new head coach who arrived just this past April having only a few weeks to organize a Spring Football session without knowing his coaches or players. David Suggs inherited a tall task after BISD immediately hired and fired Plez Atkins for about a week in the departure of former head coach Keith McGee after a one year tender. Former head coach Jeff Nelson had Ozen's football program moving forward but his untimely departure left the program without a leader and a clear direction. The kids struggled with trust issues with all the hiring, firing and resignations after being told that they were a family and should never give up. Several kids gave up the sport or simply took on a relaxed attitude about building a solid program. On top of that Suggs has not been allowed to bring in an Offensive Coordinator or Offensive Line Coach of his choice to develop these young players. He has 7 coaches at his disposal to help run a Freshmen, Jv and Varsity program, in which some lack football coaching experience and are filling in as needed. The Freshmen team is now nonexistent and have been combined with the Jv. BISD has to allow him to even the playing field by being able to get in coaches that are experienced and capable of enhancing these kids abilities. All though Ozen's team is loaded with talent, they are young:

1st Year Varsity Players Who Contribute as Starters or Backups! These Players were on JV last year.

#  3    Cameron Thomas  -  Bandit  -  Sr.          #   6    Jacob Mears  -  Bandit  -  Sr.           #  7   Deonte Darjean  -  FS  -  Jr.

#  9    Emmanuel Smith   -  Wr.       -  Jr.          #   12  Joseph Thomas  -  LB  -  So.           #  13  Derrick Winters   -  Wr.  -  Sr.

#  15  Greg Bradley         -  Wr.       -  Sr.          #   16  Jamie Wheaton  -  LB   -  So.          #   18  Travon Gipson   -  Wr.  -  Jr.

#  19  Edward Adams      -  CB       -   Jr.          #   20  Jeremy Harris     -  LB   -  Sr.           #   21  Jerald Berry       -  DE   -  Sr.

#  23  Dedren Harrington -  R          -  Jr.          #   30  Dacorey Thorns  -  R     -  Jr.           #   33   Markel Perry      -  DE   -  So.

#  34  Dezmon Simpson  -  DE        -  Jr.          #   45  Diundre Washington - RB - Jr.         #   51  Adrian Williams  -  DT   -  So.

#  55  Dejante Granger     -  OL       -  So.         #   71  Clearance Comeaux - OL - Jr.         #   81  Jaquor Pugh      -  Wr.  -  Sr.

#  82  Emmanuel Hafford  -  TE       -  So.         #   88  Corey Brisco             - TE -  Sr.        #   54  Cornelius Wilson - OL  - Sr.

Reality is, Ozen should be fine as they do have good young talent in the under grads and if BISD gives Suggs the support he needs to be successful! I don't agree with every decision he has made thus far but Rome wasn't built in a day. It has appeared to me that some were secretly wanting this school to fold and the district only have 2 H.S. but it  takes consistency for things to come together and I must say this is the one big thing Ozen has been lacking! Let's Go Panthers, Win & the Playoffs are the beginning! What is your opinion on this subject?

Having a freshman at Ozen this year I have seen first hand what is going on. They have quite a bit of talent on the roster. The biggest issue I have seen is the old adage of not having an I in team. If you have watched then at all this year that has been an issue. Hopefully the staff can get this part fixed. Something else that would be a big help would be more help from the middle schools. Ozen is a place where students can go an thrive with the right coaching and not get lost like they will at WB of Central. I'm a bruin but WB has gotten way to big and kids get lost. Not sure about what's going on at Central. Ozen is in a great spot to really make a push over the next 3 or 4 years if they get the support they deserve and need. Nice right up.

I'll keep most of my comments to myself, I will say that if your kid has aspirations to play sports, he/she better work on their skills. Can't keep talent off the field, court etc. We as parents can't shield them from everything, a lot of things aren't fair, but neither is LIFE. Hang in there, God has a plan for us ALL. The enemy can only place obstacles; can't stop what God has for us. Your Blessings are for you, not anyone else.

JRIDGE in my opinion I have to look at it from a perspective of what would be best for my child, education wise first then athletically.With that being said, Cam hit the nail on the head with his observation. you have to prepare your kids for all aspects of life and most times that requires you being your self and not so much following the crowd. I think coach Suggs has good intentions, and in the long run will get the program where it should be.Stay the course ,and continue to mentor your kids and if a number of us parents do this, the bad would weed it self out and Ozen's program will be fine.

rc2182 & Bigcam I know that the both of you educate your kids at home as well as train them for their sport before the season begins and even work on things extra to give your kids a better opportunity for success. The same goes on with my household as well as the expectations on and off the field. I agree that change comes when positive people with good ideas, work ethics, morals, attitudes and solid tangible goals in place come together it helps bring about change. Aggieffmedic87 you and your family have been a great addition to the Panther family and work hard as well, I am a fan of your child, good kid. We are part of several that I know personally that will help instill success and positivity in our program and look forward to the turn around! McGee was not a good evaluator of where and who should be playing (#20 is a good RB as well) and Suggs hasn't figured out that certain players should play on both sides of the ball in certain situations but hopefully he will soon! I say it's crunch time and my best players hit the field at key moments! Let's Go Panthers! 

Quite a bit of what happened last year is a real head scratcher. The core group save one or two are going to make some strides in the off season. Some of the mistakes can be fixed with the right coaching. The defense next year SHOULD be much improved with the amount of underclassmen that have had to play this year. We have let 3 games get away this year due to not so smart play that led to miscues that were unrecoverable. We just have to fix those mental errors that is a big key.. 

Such an issue at the freshman level with numbers, if what you say is true, will make the rebuilding much more difficult, you have to have some kind of numbers in the program, sounds like a tough situation. Hope the beat for the kids, resources should be spread more evenly across BISD

+1 with that last sentence, 10000% agree!

Also, if what I hear is correct, then the kids aren't zoned into a certain high school. This makes it difficult for any coach to install any offense or defense. The seven coaches at OZEN high school is ridiculous. The kids deserve more than that. Arent the kids the reason for the sport? I just hope bisd straightens it out cause the kids are important

They have 7.. It's very tough for them to get the job done. Wish their was a way for some with coaching experience to volunteer to help them out. I for one would love to do so. Have the experience just not the degree.

Lumberton has roughly same enrollment and varsity player #s as Ozen. Lumberton has 5 varsity coaches. So, i hear ya Ozen. It makes it tough.

My wife teaches at Ozen. I have a pretty good report with Coach Suggs and she even said I should talk with him about it. After we are done with our season I may just do that. We have a great group of coaches that are trying to get the whole group on the same page. I think with all the turn over the last few years not to mention a total change from a spread to a more pro-style offense has made it a little more difficult on the players.  

I can kinda understand what you saying, but I am sure Coach Suggs seen the mounds of you know what he had to step through. I also understand what you saying about the freshman team, but here is where i disagree. The varsity squad has all the coaching it needs to succeed. From what i saw was no motivation from each other as players, and none from the coaching staff. In a winning program the last guy has to feel, or made to be felt as he is as valued as your star player. Each teammate has to have each other back in battle, instead of me first attitude. Ozen has the talent every year, if they add unity I bet you the challenge every year. This JMO not knocking anyone, the players has to realize their value, with the push from their coaches.