Is Charles Barkley right or wrong?

stevenash

so by definition you have a very "smart" son....however, it seems he isn't very intelligent. ;)

Roflmao, he is super intelligent. He has never experienced an "unintelligent" black trying to hold him back. He has experienced white people telling him that he really smart and articulate " for a black guy". They appear to be astonished by the fact that he is smart. Why would some white people say that to him? They dont think black people are intelligent? He has a 4.9 GPA on a 4.0 scale. He is an AP schlor, the band president, and the national honor society's vice president. He took algebra 1 and English 1 in the 7th grade. #genius

Roflmao, he is super intelligent. He has never experienced an "unintelligent" black trying to hold him back. He has experienced white people telling him that he really smart and articulate " for a black guy". They appear to be astonished by the fact that he is smart. Why would some white people say that to him? They dont think black people are intelligent? He has a 4.9 GPA on a 4.0 scale. He is an AP schlor, the band president, and the national honor society's vice president. He took algebra 1 and English 1 in the 7th grade. #genius

Smart is ones ability to learn, which you've said he has done....Intelligence is inherited - nuff said!

I am not nationally known so if a racial incident happens I.e. My 17 year old son being gunned down by racist police officers without provocation ( not all are racist) then I will call All Sharpton. You guys think I should sit back and not say anything. Those days are long gone.

Everyone thought that is what happened in the Micheal Brown case.....does not look like that was the case.

Advice, don't claim your Son to be a gentle giant and then later see film where he robs and bullies a store owner.

I am not nationally known so if a racial incident happens I.e. My 17 year old son being gunned down by racist police officers without provocation ( not all are racist) then I will call All Sharpton. You guys think I should sit back and not say anything. Those days are long gone.

And who is it that you know, for certain, that was shot down without provocation?

Everyone thought that is what happened in the Micheal Brown case.....does not look like that was the case.

Advice, don't claim your Son to be a gentle giant and then later see film where he robs and bullies a store owner.

are you saying that all black youth are barbarians? I will put my life on this. My son will NEVER rob a store. You just proved that a lot of white people have preconceived notions in regards to black males, so sad. Smh

So, Mr Barkley represents the Black community?? I can't speak for Barkley or other Black people as a whole, only for myself. I don't agree with his blanket statement. Barkley can may use these statements for his experiences, but it isn't fair to call out an entire Race. I'm not offended by what he said, it goes with the Territory. Hilarious!! Just in time for Elections, I see your 1 & raise you 2 Mr Barkley
Save the drama 4 ya Mama!!

So, Mr Barkley represents the Black community?? I can't speak for Barkley or other Black people as a whole, only for myself. I don't agree with his blanket statement. Barkley can may use these statements for his experiences, but it isn't fair to call out an entire Race. I'm not offended by what he said, it goes with the Territory. Hilarious!! Just in time for Elections, I see your 1 & raise you 2 Mr Barkley
Save the drama 4 ya Mama!!

I listened to his comments and then read the transcript to make sure that I wasn't missing something. 

Barkley never said anything about the entire race. His comments were, "The loser kids" (doesn't sound like the entire race) and when speaking directly about blacks knocking other blacks stated, "Black people who are unintelligent, who don't have, uh, success" (again doesn't sound like an entire race).  

So losers and unsuccessful people are dragging blacks down in his opinion. I don't know about dragging people down but I do know that I have witnessed some of the exact comments that he is talking about. 

He said "dont claim my son to be a gentle giant"......Hell, he is. He is a 6'4 gentle giant just like his dad who is 42 and has never robbed a store.

He was referencing Michael browns parents, not you. The way that they portrayed him as this great kid who never got in trouble, this perfect kid who was about to go to college. Then we found out he had a juvenile record and was literally just a few minutes removed from a strong arm robbery.

"As I tell my White friends,we as black people, we're never going to be successful, not because of you white people, but because of other black people. When you're black you have to deal with so much crap in your life from other black people"
Now TVC, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the use of the word "people" clearly insinuates he's speaking of the black community. He uses people a few times. Now, whatever trauma he suffered from a few individuals who are black; shouldn't he confront those individuals?? Whomever he feels were an obstacle he should name that person or persons if he feels so passionate as he apparently does. All this does is fuel the Fire for ignorance, misunderstanding & stereotyping. This is the same guy who made money from Nike telling kids & parents he's not a Role Model in a commercial. I'm supposed to listen to anything this mumbling, stumbling for words, I wanna be Black when it's convenient for me, soon to be Political Republican Pawn? Yeah, he is just what we need in politics. Should fit in nicely. Like I said, this should sell him some books & get some media buzz. Next time don't just invite your white friends Mr Barkley, allow some of the black people a rebuttal to your statements. It's not like he's going to see this post Lol, this is for the Barkley type.
Good Day fellow Americans

"As I tell my White friends,we as black people, we're never going to be successful, not because of you white people, but because of other black people. When you're black you have to deal with so much crap in your life from other black people"
Now TVC, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the use of the word "people" clearly insinuates he's speaking of the black community. He uses people a few times. Now, whatever trauma he suffered from a few individuals who are black; shouldn't he confront those individuals?? Whomever he feels were an obstacle he should name that person or persons if he feels so passionate as he apparently does. All this does is fuel the Fire for ignorance, misunderstanding & stereotyping. This is the same guy who made money from Nike telling kids & parents he's not a Role Model in a commercial. I'm supposed to listen to anything this mumbling, stumbling for words, I wanna be Black when it's convenient for me, soon to be Political Republican Pawn? Yeah, he is just what we need in politics. Should fit in nicely. Like I said, this should sell him some books & get some media buzz. Next time don't just invite your white friends Mr Barkley, allow some of the black people a rebuttal to your statements. It's not like he's going to see this post Lol, this is for the Barkley type.

I totally agree...so the next time YOU, Big Girl and certain other people complain about "white people" and what happened before, during and after the civil war...go visit a cemetary...if it was during the forties thru sixties...go talk to the 90+ year olds (and maybe cemetaries)...if it is current...then get off this board and go do as you suggest...don't just spew crap about what others should do as you blame an entire race for your OWN failures.......

Barkley type? Let me guess, uncle Tom's....lol...or do you mean successful black man that see's and speaks the truth and puts blame where it should be....

BigCam- I thought Barkley was, in effect, calling out those who did that to him and to others he knew, even though he didnt provide specific names. When you talk about" fanning the flames", surely you must agree that the opinion of Mr. Barkley is not one tenth as inflammatory as when the media reports ( constantly and repeatedly) every single word expressed or action taken by Mr. Jackson and/or Mr. Sharpton.

BigCam- I thought Barkley was, in effect, calling out those who did that to him and to others he knew, even though he didnt provide specific names. When you talk about" fanning the flames", surely you must agree that the opinion of Mr. Barkley is not one tenth as inflammatory as when the media reports ( constantly and repeatedly) every single word expressed or action taken by Mr. Jackson and/or Mr. Sharpton.

Nash, I didn't say he was wrong, I said he shouldn't put all Black people in the same category.  As for Mr Sharpton & Jackson, I've never been fans of opportunist, doesn't matter what race.  The media is the media, you get what you get.

I totally agree...so the next time YOU, Big Girl and certain other people complain about "white people" and what happened before, during and after the civil war...go visit a cemetary...if it was during the forties thru sixties...go talk to the 90+ year olds (and maybe cemetaries)...if it is current...then get off this board and go do as you suggest...don't just spew crap about what others should do as you blame an entire race for your OWN failures.......

Barkley type? Let me guess, uncle Tom's....lol...or do you mean successful black man that see's and speaks the truth and puts blame where it should be....

Where did you see me complain about White people?? I may be many things Craig, but a Racist I'm not. Just be cause I have issues with people of other races doeesn't make me or anyone else Racist. By the way who are you talking to?? Me or Big Girl??   Who are certain other people?? Don't take the Coward approach, put the names out there. I think you need to stay in your swim lane Buddy.  Your recollection of what I said & how you understood is way off.  LOL

What a Homer!!!