Anderson-Shiro 51 Hull-Daisetta 20/Final

WOSgrad

I like seeing HD win. I stand with others about hyping the bobcats up to be something their not! It makes HD and the program look bad! The bobcats had a tough one this year, leave it at that and stop making radical excuses when they lose! I support the bobcats and all the other SETX teams but sometimes reality has to set in! Good luck to the bobcats next week!

Reality is, HD and WH don't belong in this district. The numbers don't support either school being in this district. I don't know what in the world UIL was thinking when they moved these two schools into that district. Sometimes I just have to shake my head and ask why..... WH was 2 kids over on the numbers and HD was less than 30 over. Both schools belong in the small school district with Evadale, Colmesneil Sabine Pass, and Burkville. I can only imagine the financial strain it puts on the schools and communities to have to travel 2.5 hour just to play ball.

Reality is, HD and WH don't belong in this district. The numbers don't support either school being in this district. I don't know what in the world UIL was thinking when they moved these two schools into that district. Sometimes I just have to shake my head and ask why..... WH was 2 kids over on the numbers and HD was less than 30 over. Both schools belong in the small school district with Evadale, Colmesneil Sabine Pass, and Burkville. I can only imagine the financial strain it puts on the schools and communities to have to travel 2.5 hour just to play ball.

Evadale has Iola and Normangee - and those aren't local teams. You are right, it creates financial strains on small schools.

Distance wise, the district that HD and WH are in  is the only district that makes sense based on the UIL numbers after realignment.  I'm not sure about WH but I've heard that HD is below the cutoff number for 2A-DI now anyway and would have been in DII (with Evadale, Iola, Normangee, BVille, SP etc.) if the snapshot would have been done at the time of fall enrollment. I understand that you can't wait that long and districts and schedules have to be developed prior to the season. It is tough when you play teams like AS and they seem to have a never ending amount of backups and HD has 21 kids suited up on Friday night (with no JV team) and only about 10-12  of those kids should even be playing on Friday nights right now. It is what it is though and you play the hand you're dealt. Here's a little mileage information..

HD distance to current district opponents:

West Hardin - 10 miles

Groveton - 91 miles

Lovelady - 100 miles

Anderson-Shiro - 103 miles

Centerville - 132 miles

Only other 2A-DI schools within 150 miles:

West Sabine - 111 miles

San Augustine - 122

Alto - 128

Shelbyville - 139

Ganado - 145

What would have been nice is that if HD and WH would have fell in 2A-DII. If that was the case, Normangee and Iola could move out (130 and 117 miles away respectively) and the district would be:

Hull-Daisetta

West Hardin - 10 miles

Evadale - 48 miles

Sabine Pass - 67 miles

Colmesneil - 69 miles

Burkeville - 102 miles

Other than HD/WH vs Burkeville, all other games would be within 70 miles of each other. Little bit of difference in competition at that level too lol.

We know that HD Nation loves to play the most horrible teams of the state. If size did not matter HD would then be able to play nothing but weak schools which would enable them to continue the "winning tradition". Too bad they are forced to play similar sized schools. Distance traveled is not the issue. The issue is lack of talent/speed.

Distance wise, the district that HD and WH are in  is the only district that makes sense based on the UIL numbers after realignment.  I'm not sure about WH but I've heard that HD is below the cutoff number for 2A-DI now anyway and would have been in DII (with Evadale, Iola, Normangee, BVille, SP etc.) if the snapshot would have been done at the time of fall enrollment. I understand that you can't wait that long and districts and schedules have to be developed prior to the season. It is tough when you play teams like AS and they seem to have a never ending amount of backups and HD has 21 kids suited up on Friday night (with no JV team) and only about 10-12  of those kids should even be playing on Friday nights right now. It is what it is though and you play the hand you're dealt. Here's a little mileage information..

HD distance to current district opponents:

West Hardin - 10 miles

Groveton - 91 miles

Lovelady - 100 miles

Anderson-Shiro - 103 miles

Centerville - 132 miles

Only other 2A-DI schools within 150 miles:

West Sabine - 111 miles

San Augustine - 122

Alto - 128

Shelbyville - 139

Ganado - 145

What would have been nice is that if HD and WH would have fell in 2A-DII. If that was the case, Normangee and Iola could move out (130 and 117 miles away respectively) and the district would be:

Hull-Daisetta

West Hardin - 10 miles

Evadale - 48 miles

Sabine Pass - 67 miles

Colmesneil - 69 miles

Burkeville - 102 miles

Other than HD/WH vs Burkeville, all other games would be within 70 miles of each other. Little bit of difference in competition at that level too lol.

H-D, the classification you play has nothing to do with kids playing, but rather total enrollment  of your high school. Burkeville has 80 kids in their high-school; sure did not hear ya'll taking that into account when ya'll was bringing those horseman down on them Mustangs. 

West Hardin was one student away from dropping a classification while H-D was 40 kids over at re-alignment time. 

It just makes it real tough to follow and support your school and then turn around and have to be at work on Saturday at 4AM. HD, WH, Sabine Pass, Evadale, Colmesneil and Burkville only makes sense to be in the same district. When it comes to volleyball, basketball and baseball the districts change. Maybe the football districts should be based off of total boy highschool students instead of total students. UIL should pull their head out of the sand and look at the overall picture instead of a number.

And it is the same for the teams you play. It has nothing to do with the system. It has to do with being bad. Everyone plays by the same rules. It just happens to work out where HD cannot get fat on smaller schools. Now you are seeking excuses. FYI, HD is not good and is very slow. You cant always play Sabine Pass, High Island, etc. 

HD has depended upon playing weak sisters year in year out. HD ALWAYS gets beat in the playoffs because they play a non-SETX small school that ALWAYS has more talent. Therefore HD piles up local wins and then goes home. Under the current format HD has to play non-SETX small schools and is taking the losses before the 1st playoff game. Welcome to reality. HD is not and has not been a factor beyond the local sisters for 30 years.

I totally understand how the process works and I'm well aware that the districting and alignment  has nothing to do with the amount of kids actually playing. If Dayton only has 25 kids come out for football, oops they still have 1000+ enrollment and fall into 5A. The only point I was making is that with re-districting done a year in advance, it can make a huge impact on a small school. If you have a senior class that graduates 50, but the 8th grade class coming in is only 28, plus kids that move, drop out and who know's what.... you just went from 175 kids, to 140 when it's time to play the games. Not a big deal when HD plays WH who has about the same, but it's a big deal when you play Anderson Shiro who has 215+ kids. Exactly like when HD plays Burkeville and has 75 more kids in HS than them. Those few kids on the cutoff make a huge difference in the big picture. Look at Iola who  was 2nd or 3rd in a weak DI district two years in a row, and now in DII they are undefeated and ranked in the top 3 in the region with a similar team  that went .500 last year in DI.

There's no perfect solution, and HD should be able to compete with the teams in this district based on snap shot enrollment numbers.

This year you happen to be 100% right. I for one didn't think HD was going to win more than a game or two this year with the class they graduated last year. The fact of the matter is that HD hasn't won a playoff game in a while, but that doesn't mean that they can't play with non SETX weak sister schools as you put it. HD won their district the last two years and would have made the playoffs in any Region III district last season. You may not be able to admit that and nobody really knows but  it's really all about the luck of the draw when you're talking about playoffs. Look everyone can make excuses, but tell me ONE time HD has got to play an average team in the playoffs? NEVER!! HD has the worst luck of the draw of any school in the area as far as I'm concerned. We all know about back in the 80's and 90's when HD always caught a state champ or finalist in the first round, but even recently with the additional playoff spots, you would think HD would catch a team like Colmesneil played last year (6-4 Axtell). But it just aint in the cards for the Bobcats......Look at the last 10 years where HD has made the playoffs 9 times....

2004 - 1st Round bye and lose in 2nd round  to 10 win Normangee

2005 - 1st Round loss to 11 win Iola

2006 - 1st Round loss to 10 win Groveton (HD had the lead in 4th qtr)

2007 - 1st Round loss to 10 win Groveton (HD leading at halftime) Another note, Groveton lost to 14-0 State champ 21-13 the next round. Alto won all other playoff games by average of 30 points

2008 - 1st Round bye and lose in 2nd round to State Finalist Mart (actually held Mart scoreless for 3 quarters but a 12 minute stretch killed HD)

2009 - 1st Round bye and lose in 2nd round to 12 win Lovelady team (who game State Champ Cayuga a run for their money later in playoffs)

2010 - 1st Round loss to Regional finalist Normangee

2011 - missed playoffs

2012 - 1st Round bye and lose in 2nd round to 12 win Regional Finalist Alto 35-28 (Score was tied 28-28 win 5 min to play)

2013 - 1st Round bye and lose in 2nd round to Regional Semi-finalist Alto 47-42 (HD had lead until 1 min left in game)

I mean, I understand and know that excuses are like elbows, everybody has 'em. But to say that HD can't compete with ANY of the other schools our size outside of the weaker SETX schools is just not true. With all the 4-6, 5-5, and 6-4 teams making the playoffs, HD cannot catch one of them to save their lives to get the monkey off our back. I'm not saying you necessarily want to play weaker competition but you would think at some point you'd matchup with an above average team, and not one of the top 5  teams in the region in your first game EVERY year.

Ok, I'm bored at work and got to doing some research. I wanted to compare HD's first playoff opponents to someone else in the area that's had several recent playoff appearances. Our friends from Winnie Texas came to mind as they've had a long run of playoff appearances. Just wanted to see how their first playoff opponents stacked up record wise to what HD's had to face in the past 10 years.

East Chambers Bucs

2004 - 1st round vs. 4-7 Timpson (W)

2005 - 1st round bye, 2nd round vs. 11-2 Mart (L)

2006 - 1st round vs. 6-5 Hemphill (W)

2007 - 1st round vs. 10-3 Corrigan-Camden (L)

2008 - 1st round bye, 2nd round vs. 9-4 Newton (L)

2009 - 1st round bye, 2nd round vs. 6-6 Woodville (W)

2010 - 1st round bye, 2nd round vs. 5-7 McGregor (W)

2011 - 1st round bye, 2nd round vs. 9-3 Malakoff (W)

2012 - 1st round vs. 9-2 Troup (W)

2013 - 1st round vs. 13-2 White Oak (L) State Semifinalist

So by comparison EC has a 6-4 playoff record based on their initial playoff games. Nice to have one playoff win, much less six, so congrats to the Bucs. My point is  that even earning a bye in the first round 5 out of 10 years, the Bucs matched up with a 4 win team, a 5 win team, and two 6 win teams. That accounts for 4 of their six wins, with the other two coming against 9 win schools.

By comparison HD has played two 9 win teams, three 10 win teams, an 11 win team, and three 12 win teams in their nine first playoff opponents.

This is totally apples and oranges, but was just curious as to how EC's first opponents stacked up to HD's.