Just a football game? How many remember this?

4 years ago almost to the week, WO-S was gearing up to play it's first game in 2 weeks. Two weeks prior, as everyone around here surely remembers, their starting QB Reggie Garrett had passed away on the sidelines of one of their games. It stunned not just the area, but the whole state. The next weeks game was cancelled so when they resumed play, it was a home game for WO-S, and it was against Kirbyville. Oh man I'll never forget it..... ~ WO-S received the opening kickoff and the receiver was tackled. What happened next brought tears and cheers across the whole stadium. The players for both sides took the field but something was a little odd. The play clock started, but the WO-S players just stood there with their hands held out. It took a second to sink in, but it seemed like everyone in the stadium realized what was going on all at the same time. They were holding out one finger on one hand and two fingers on the other...signifying a '12'. That was Reggie's number. They were out there with only 10 players......no one at the QB position.....and were going to let the play clock run down prepared to take a penalty in honor of their fallen teammate. Both bleachers came alive with cheers and crying and applause in approval and appreciation of what was going on. The clock ticked down and the penalty flag was thrown, but in a show of sportsmanship, Kirbyville declined it. It was an awesome thing to see that I'll never forget. I just wanted to share it..

4 years ago almost to the week, WO-S was gearing up to play it's first game in 2 weeks. Two weeks prior, as everyone around here surely remembers, their starting QB Reggie Garrett had passed away on the sidelines of one of their games. It stunned not just the area, but the whole state. The next weeks game was cancelled so when they resumed play, it was a home game for WO-S, and it was against Kirbyville. Oh man I'll never forget it..... ~ WO-S received the opening kickoff and the receiver was tackled. What happened next brought tears and cheers across the whole stadium. The players for both sides took the field but something was a little odd. The play clock started, but the WO-S players just stood there with their hands held out. It took a second to sink in, but it seemed like everyone in the stadium realized what was going on all at the same time. They were holding out one finger on one hand and two fingers on the other...signifying a '12'. That was Reggie's number. They were out there with only 10 players......no one at the QB position.....and were going to let the play clock run down prepared to take a penalty in honor of their fallen teammate. Both bleachers came alive with cheers and crying and applause in approval and appreciation of what was going on. The clock ticked down and the penalty flag was thrown, but in a show of sportsmanship, Kirbyville declined it. It was an awesome thing to see that I'll never forget. I just wanted to share it..

I did not know this happened. Thanks, well worth the read. 

remember like it was yesterday rip Reggie 112%

I remember sitting in the stands at the Silsbee-Newton game reading the WOS game thread and seeing this from that standpoint from the start. Recieving the news that he had passed away from some in the stands that had WOS connections and called after I read this. Dumbfounded is all I can say the rest of the Tiger/Newton game was a blur. I do remember reading about the opening play of that first game back as well as the other loss that year as well of Newton Coach Curtis Barbay. I can remember him from my school days always had tough teams. A difficult year for area football that season.

I still remember it like it was yesterday.  His passing pierced every single person's heart and made you numb for a moment as the news started filling every stadium in our area.  If I'm not mistaken, that night of the game you are talking about, the Tailgate Party on KFDM showed video of them on the field without him.  It was very, very sad.