West End Beaumont Bulldogs Coach Probation

1212kmg

It seems that there is a number of STJFL Board members that have a poor working knowledge of the By-Laws. There are 9 out of the 12 teams that have someone setting on the STJFL Board that i would assume has a vote. It is stated in By laws Article V Section I, says each delegate has 1 vote, and if that association has multiple members holding board position they will have a voice, but only the delegate can vote. My question is did the entire board vote regarding the actions taken against the Nederland and BMT West Coaches?Another question i am wondering is according to the last 2 STJFL board meeting notice I have seen it mentions an Ethics committe, where in the by laws does it mention an ethics committee and who will serve on it  and what do they do ? Is it the entire board , half the board, selected members that the President picks and  who chairs the committee? Even on the meeting agenda for Oct 2014 it mentions appeals under the Ethics Committee update, so I wonder what was said? According to By-Laws all regular meetins are subject to open meetings act, so it should be in the minutes and  any STJFL member should be able to request a copy correct?

I guess what my issue is that there are certain members on this board that feel it is THEIR league and they will do what thay want. Those few like to talk about holding coaches and associations accountable, well it is time to start holding them accountable.

marie,

the experience in Nederland was that an ethics committee determined the punishment.  The person that conducted the investigations abstained as well as the chair of the ethics committe

How does the ethics committee determine punishment?  How many members are on the ethics committee?

Here's our story and this is what I think all teams should try! We were up 26-0 with 3 minutes left in the 1st quarter! Our head coach then made the call to follow the rules that have been set and with his coaching style made it fun and respectful for all kids involved! Our head coach and Offensive Coordinator let everyone that was under the weight limit run the ball! The kids had a great time rooting for one another and never thought of the score only watching a friend get a chance to be a running back and do their best! Our opponent lit us up and made good plays but our coach held true to his belief and the game ended 32-0! Our opponent was never disrespected, we swapped out kids on defense to let everyone get a chance at a different position and all in all everyone learned from it! At the end of the game our kids and their kids shook hands and I even heard our opponent say great run so and so and our kids told them "man you almost took my head off" no arguing no fighting just mutual respect and both teams played the game of football! I know some of you may say blah blah blah but that's fine! I feel as if it was a constructive game and by moving kids around we were able to see people blossom and now I know who to call in when we need to sub! Then again in the words of reading rainbow " You don't have to take my word for it"

My point Marie! No one knows how the Ethics Committee was created, how many reps are on the committee, what are they investigating, what warrants an investigation, number of votes required to punish and what the parameters are for punishment. This Board is acting with no real authority. In my opinion, their punishments are not even worth the paper they are written on.

Here's our story and this is what I think all teams should try! We were up 26-0 with 3 minutes left in the 1st quarter! Our head coach then made the call to follow the rules that have been set and with his coaching style made it fun and respectful for all kids involved! Our head coach and Offensive Coordinator let everyone that was under the weight limit run the ball! The kids had a great time rooting for one another and never thought of the score only watching a friend get a chance to be a running back and do their best! Our opponent lit us up and made good plays but our coach held true to his belief and the game ended 32-0! Our opponent was never disrespected, we swapped out kids on defense to let everyone get a chance at a different position and all in all everyone learned from it! At the end of the game our kids and their kids shook hands and I even heard our opponent say great run so and so and our kids told them "man you almost took my head off" no arguing no fighting just mutual respect and both teams played the game of football! I know some of you may say blah blah blah but that's fine! I feel as if it was a constructive game and by moving kids around we were able to see people blossom and now I know who to call in when we need to sub! Then again in the words of reading rainbow " You don't have to take my word for it"

I think that is GREAT, to allow a kid who may never run the ball have that chance to feel good about himself and want to keep working to hopefully run the ball again. Now here is my question did you pull your studs off the defensive side of the ball? The reason I ask you beat a team 32-0 and nothing was said to your coach.  BMT beat LUM White  team i believe 50-16 and there coach  gets thrown out of the league. Explain to me the difference? It sounds like your team kept just enough of your studs in at defense to protect the win for 3 full quarters or you got a stacked team and your 2nd stringers are as good as your 1st team.

The Beaumont Coach did sub in his 2nd and 3rd string (my words - not his). One of those kids made an interception I believe. When another went to make a touch down, he was told to step out of bounds or something to that effect by someone (not sure if Lumberton or Bmt coach). The coach was clearly following the spirit of the rule. The Board came up with some BS about one of the kids playing 2nd or 3rd string was actually from the 1st string. They had video allegedly to support this but then wouldn't let the coach see it. He contests what they said. Keep in mind no one complained during the game.

Icewater, you just proved how you can win and not disrespect your opponent, we had a similiar situation in an earlier game, was up 25-0. our coach let at least 8 different young men run the ball. The kids were cheering on these other guys. So it can happen.

what was the final score?

I can't say what happened in the Bmt game because I was not there but yes I subbed my entire defense out the full game but let me be clear when I say that we have done that since the first game! We have a firm belief that you are only as good as your weakest player so we do our best to improve them all! We coach defense to be prepared for any situation and my kids get to the play quicker than most! Not bragging but no we're not stacked we just work that hard! Beaumont beat us and even afterward said no one hit them like we did and still haven't! You can make the game fun and respectful you just have to be a coach that's willing to do that! Not everyone can coach that way or better yet chooses to! That is in no way a statement toward any team or coach in this league in speaking of coaching kids in any sport! I believe the bmt coaches are good people, and I believe the league is a great one! I just think that we all need to refocus on kids not points and things will turn around!

I can't say what happened in the Bmt game because I was not there but yes I subbed my entire defense out the full game but let me be clear when I say that we have done that since the first game! We have a firm belief that you are only as good as your weakest player so we do our best to improve them all! We coach defense to be prepared for any situation and my kids get to the play quicker than most! Not bragging but no we're not stacked we just work that hard! Beaumont beat us and even afterward said no one hit them like we did and still haven't! You can make the game fun and respectful you just have to be a coach that's willing to do that! Not everyone can coach that way or better yet chooses to! That is in no way a statement toward any team or coach in this league in speaking of coaching kids in any sport! I believe the bmt coaches are good people, and I believe the league is a great one! I just think that we all need to refocus on kids not points and things will turn around!

Ice Tea has ALWAYS had great teams!!

So walk off what do you do if those kids happen to score and it puts you over 40 points?

Hawk05, since I'm not the Bears coach, cant speak for him, so I ask him, his response, there are ways to slow the game down...take longer get plays in...use the whole 25 sec play clock..running clock. He did say, he doesnt agree with some of the rules, but they are rules so don't break them.

What is respectful about not allowing a team to score? You got the game won why not let them get a TD?

Hawk05, since I'm not the Bears coach, can's speak for him, so I ask him, his response, there are ways to slow the game down...take longer get plays in...use the whole 25 sec play clock..running clock. He did say, he doesnt agree with some of the rules, but they are rules so don't break them.

What is the rule? Where is this rule written? Where does it say if you have a 40+ point margin the team in the lead will be penalized?

Curious....

And no rule was ever broken. Kids that never carry the ball score a TD and it makes the score 38-0 and then the defense catches an int and we make the refs take the points off the board by asking him to throw a bogus flag and he does. Not fair to that kid at all. Then we have another one of the kids that never gets a chance to run the ball and he almost scores so we are forced to kneel the ball on the 10yrd line. If we would have scored we would have to forfeit. No rule was broken but we would have been punished. What's wrong with this picture? And you tell me if we do score with that one kid that never runs the ball is it ok?

What is respectful about not allowing a team to score? You got the game won why not let them get a TD?

Well Marie, I'm not going to argue with you about what's respectful in your eyes or mine! I firmly believe that we did the right thing and would never second guess my coaching decision or my head coaches decision from this weekend! The opposing team asked if we were ok with running the clock which made the game time fly! We subbed out kids left and right the entire game and yes I pulled my starters on defense because we always do! I love kids and would never want to disrespect a team or player but it's only our fault for teaching the kids to play good defense! I will never tell my kids to let someone score! What is that teaching them? What is that showing our opponent? If you ask 100 coaches and 100 kids if they were losing would they be happy or proud if the opposing team "just let them score" I am sure the answer 200 times would be NO! To me that is more embarrassing then running the score up! I have been in this league for a long time and my real name is Coach Dubby, I have nothing to hide on here! Our coaches love kids and we do what's right in our hearts! No one has a complaint against us nor we against anyone else! I respect your question and I hope you understand my response! We coach to improve and prepare for Friday night ball not just a good story at work!

"But there are rules so don't break them." Where are these rules listed for these coaches to see? As far as I've seen, there is a definition of the Mercy Rule and the rest is open to subjective interpretation. Hence the abuse of power.

Great response Icewater. Wish all could be so reasonable - would make this problem go away.

Thanks Anklebiter, I appreciate that compliment. I refuse to argue on here because if I have to prove myself on here as a coach then I am obviously missing the mark! I enjoy what I do and I have no kids playing for my son is in junior high I just love to help kids!!!

I'm just gonna throw this out there, it's 10-12 year old kids! Come on. Relax. If this is that important and you are putting this much emphasis on it, you are defining your kid. You want to say "my kid was on the best football team of all time", " my kids team beat everyone by 50". Let the kids learn, improve and most of all enjoy the experience of team sports. Hopefully they will have greater experiences in life than 12 year old football. I hope that my kid did not peak in life at 12.
Ethics, boards, committees, blah blah. If you don't like it, run for the board. The board of any organization can not please everyone. And yes, there are turds on all boards that are self serving. But, let it go. I teach my kids to base their energy on a simple concept, "if it doesn't improve your life, forget it". Events can't be changed, only your reaction. I don't know anyone on the board, my son is in middle school sports now. But I have had a difference of opinion with board members before. They are donating time just like I was as a coach. I'm not taking up for anyone, but just throwing out a suggestion to take a step back use a little perspective.
Far too often, "adults" ruin an experience for kids.
That is all, carry on

what good does it do to run for the board when those that have been so unreasonable will just kick you off if you try to defend one of your coaches? hard to make any real progress there. . . . . these individuals are the ones ruining it for the children by forcing ridiculous probations and game forfeitures. my child knows nothing about what is going on - he does not play on the affected team. i am only hoping by having an open discussion we can foster some reach change in people (doubtful I'm sure) and inspire a more productive league for the future.

Huge problem this world faces and has been facing....

Standing up/Fighting for what you believe.

I honestly hope I have taught my children to sand up for themselves and their beliefs, no matter if it is something petty like a football score. Our children are watching and taking notes. (Yes, most of these kids don't understand what is happening, but believe me, they are watching and LEARNING)

I also hope defense attorneys never stop ensuring investigations were properly conducted. Would hate to see freedom taken away from a person without being allowed to defend themselves.