Aug - Sept MBC Review (Brief)

Coach Myers

***A Sample from the MBC Aug-Sept Training Review***

Tremendous work thus far - we took Sunday's Catcher Training and Development Class 6 pretty light just to ensure we don't "over-work the body" (man...it was HOOOOT yesterday at the park)

Right now were routinely putting alot of effort in the physical training, and the results are coming in better than anticipated.

With a mixture of 8 active athletes ranging from 7th grade to 10th grade we've completed:

6 Miles Ran with no 1/2 mile over 5 min
With charting times to compete against at the beginning of each month - there was an Entry Time Avg (first mile ran) of 7:58. After the first test from training we saw the avg time drop to:7:21 (37 second improvement on average with 7/8 athletes besting their Entry Time.

60 Yd Dash 
The mark to hit will always be 6.9 - so that is what we aim to best. With the Entry Time Avg (first 60 ran, *keep in mind this was after first mile ran, body was hurting more due to not being in shape) of: 8.75. After the first test from training we saw the avg time drop to: 7.69 (literally over a 1 second improvement on AVERAGE. 3 athletes saw an improvement by >1 1/2 seconds) *main answer to this really should go towards "Athletes bodies are more in shape and better prepared to perform. Can't necessarily say 'speed was increased' more than you can say 'body wasn't as tired after 1 month of training to test the 60 after testing the Mile'"...either way, on the big picture - the RIGHT improvements are being made.

3 Cone and 5 Point 
These are tests that are only taken for the purposes of improving balance, change of direction, agility, quickness while moving in small spaces, and a couple other MBC qualities we are trying to improve that often get overlooked in an athlete's Baseball Training. With the Entry Time Avg (*after testing the first mile and 60 **we run 2 60's and take the average of both to establish their time, not their best, but their average**) of the 3 Cone saw:5.2 seconds. After first test avg: 4.97 seconds. The Entry Times of 5 Point: 6.7 seconds. After first test avg: 5.57 seconds. *MBC's explaination, "The most obvious improvement that happened wasn't necessarily the time, but the overall balance the athlete has gained while moving/changing directions. The simple reason the times increased was mostly due to the athlete 'understanding what to do' for the drill and having better control of their body while moving. Once the athlete shows a true understanding of the purpose behind the drill/test, their is an increase in overall effort to the drill - and following with the Culture of the Club, a competitiveness and competition is created within the drill.

These are simply a couple Running Times that are being published. It is important to note that no MBC athlete is cleared to throw a baseball over 30 ft until late October/early Nov. At the current moment we have accumulated over an avg of 150 reps on: lower body strength and flexibility, shoulder/scapula strengthening and flexibility, core strengthening and flexibility; plus routine running with medicine balls w/ teammates, and various other drills MBC is aiming to achieve "Team building", "Hunger for Competition" , "Work Ethic", and understanding of the overall true "Process" you have to make yourself apart of to play Baseball at the highest levels.

Everything is being documented - and I am honestly working my ass off to not only get the most out of the athletes, but to publish the results. I know this will work because this isn't anything "new" yet is is "extremely hard" (like it is suppose to be) - it's simply just what I've learned to be "true" with a few touches of my own creation and coordination/organization.

It's come to be our main phrase at MBC that, "The trick is - there is no trick, there are no shortcuts. There are those that Do, and those that Don't. The choice is yours, and yours alone to be whichever you want to be in Baseball." The Culture is really infectious, and I've noticed parents of athletes starting to participate in their own 'workout' while the athletes are training. (Equipment is simple to use, and is available for all Members, plus walking a mile is better than sitting in an air conditioned facility while the sun is out - don't forget your Vitamin D people! haha) 

An understanding of 'breaking down the Game' into smaller fragments to create "Games within the Game" are starting to become clearer for the athlete to visualize. Evidence is simple with 3 athlete's already creating, on their own under no direction to do so, unique and challenging drills to test certain skills - and quickly thereafter establishing some form of criteria around the newly created drill to make it a competition among each other. (Most popular now? The Pole Balance - what is it? Simply 3 inches of a pole sticking out of the concrete with a diameter of  inches and a support beam about 3 inches away from the pole in the North direction. The competition? Balancing on one foot, then hopping onto the other foot and balancing without the other foot touching the ground. How many hops can you complete?)...and from personal experience I've done 3, and that was after 50+ reps...INCREDIBLY hard

Starting next weekend, and lasting until November 22, we will begin our "Bootcamp" - During this we aim to yield an increase in overall muscle strength in combination with the cardio/endurance training.

Once throwing is cleared for MBC athletes we believe that after 3 months of shoulder/scapula and core strengthening and development that when we test MPH from Entry (most likely weekend after Halloween) to first test, and to beginning of season there will be an increase. And it is anticipated that the increase in MPH wont necessarily be "a stronger arm" but more importantly a "more fit body" better prepared and developed to endure 'throwing hard.' The results of this won't become available until the End of the Season. We are judging our work on "Arm Strength" not by MPH, but by Durability. We are looking for ZERO Athletes to endure an arm injury related to throwing through the entire duration of the Season.

Like I said...it's nothing "new" just very very hard to stay disciplined to and it is exciting seeing these young athletes putting in this kind of work towards their Game.

These are only from our Saturday MBC Training Classes - the real exciting development and improvements are coming from our Catcher and Offensive(Hitting) Training and Development Classes. Already over 17 hours ONLY on Catching and 4 hr 45 min on ONLY Hitting (oh yes, the blisters on your hands from hitting have already become 'normal' - we are working to create calluses ready in time for the Season. *often overlooked, but very important part of training for a Baseball Player to perform at high levels*

Personal Opinion from Observation

Last night I was in attendance at Marauder Park to watch the first games of the SETX Fall Baseball League, and I enjoyed seeing and talking to the familiar faces I've come to meet during my time as a Youth Coach in this area.  On a few personal notes that I think should be addressed (and I wouldn't know of any other to say this, than myself...because I know we were all thinking it)

• The league is FANTASTIC for the 13U teams - great idea, and a range of 'balance' among the teams to compete very well against each other through the Fall.  Getting more experience on the bigger field is exactly what is needed for athletes at that age - Yes, yes, yes, yes - Kudos.  For Jr. High athletes, this is a league that can really take off and do well
  • The Orioles should go ahead and be given the league championship trophy, or whatever they give to the champ.  Look...that team is too big, too old, and far too talented to be playing in this league against these teams.  I worry about the bad habits that will be formed from athletes that can play the Game at an impressive level against competition that isn't in "their league"...they do not need to be playing in this League unless you evenly divide the players on the teams throughout the league.  Out of all honesty - the SETX Fall Baseball League should designate the Orioles to be their 'Flagship Team' and send them to Houston to compete.  Take the money they paid as 'entry' (or whatever) and put it toward Travel and Tourn. Entry Fee's for them to compete.  This League has a Golden Opportunity to gain notoriety on their success against tougher competition, and create a drive for the 13U players to WANT to make the Orioles when they are older so they can play in Houston...which, in return, creates "returning players" to the League each other with the possibility of gaining new players each year... that Team looked pretty crisp for September - and I know they would hold their own very well in Houston.
  • and lastly...1hr 20 min doesn't do the Game, Players, or Parents of Players it's due justice - I saw a pitcher only get 3 warm up pitches in a bases loaded situation in the 3rd inning...come on...3 warm up pitches?!?! 2 Pitchers left the mound hinting at pain in their elbow, and players taking their positions from the dugout only had 1 (if they were lucky) rep to warm up before "Balls In" was called.  I understand the concept - but please understand the practice of this concept won't be as beneficial as you imagine.  I know the current culture and economics of Baseball has driven it to become "Get as many Games in as Quick as Possible" but at what Cost?  This Fall Baseball League looks better than I imagined and really believe there is something special that can happen with this League.  While it is still early, I think it will be easier to manage a few pieces to make it Grander - the people, resources, and players are all there for it to happen.

Come out and see what we do - 

Saturdays 2-4pm at Doornbos Park are open for the public and people to 'Try Out' 

...now the private training and individual position training development classes are only for MBC Members to participate in any, and all they choose to.

Starting Next Sunday from 4:30 - 7pm MBC will start: 

Middle Infield Training and Development Classes.

Selection for the Spindletop Sox Baseball Team (Jr. High Regular Season) to play from Dec. - Jun/Jul will be:

Dec. 6 & 7 *Only MBC Athletes are eligible for selection

Walk On selection will be:

Jan 4

Selection for the Spindletop Sox Baseball Team (High School Summer Team) to play from Apr/May-Aug/Sept will be:

Dec. 6
Jan 4
Jan 11
Feb 1

Walk On selection will be:

Feb 15

Yours Truly :)

Coach BJ Myers

MyersBaseball.com

409-720-8951

P.S. - I've received the voicemails, and all I ask is (whomever you are) to not call me under a "Restricted Number" if you are trying to get a hold of me.  I have no problems discussing anything I do if you want to talk about it (you obviously have a very strong opinion against me) but calling from a Restricted Number...I do apologize, I will never answer any call that comes up "Restricted" haha - would you?