Just another uncle Tom?

TROJANSWIN

https://www.facebook.com/theblaze/posts/737759549594721

Not sure is this link will work, but interesting point of view from a surprising source. I tend to agree with him, but not just for black families. This kind of handout policy tends to have negative affects on people who become dependent on them.

The link did work, and it is an intersting article. I too, agree with him, but I guess that I dont understand why you titled the thread "another Uncle Tom"?

Dove- if you disagree with the rationale regarding men( heads of families) leaving home, could you offer what you believe is the more likely reason? If most of the people do not, as you contend, reach out for assistance until they really need it, is there anything wrong in trying to be more aggressive in dealing with those who reach out who dont really need it? If someone is being given a well deserved helping hand, should that helping hand be there permanently or is it reasonable to place some limitations on the duration of those helping hands?

Dove- if you disagree with the rationale regarding men( heads of families) leaving home, could you offer what you believe is the more likely reason? If most of the people do not, as you contend, reach out for assistance until they really need it, is there anything wrong in trying to be more aggressive in dealing with those who reach out who dont really need it? If someone is being given a well deserved helping hand, should that helping hand be there permanently or is it reasonable to place some limitations on the duration of those helping hands?

Nash, I was in Chicago downtown area back in the 80's. Three things I saw while downtown that woke me up to a "new  world USA order." (1) I saw a man grab a sandwich out of the garbage container (2) saw women on their lunch break walking in tennis shoes (3) saw Black women driving a city bus.

I am missing something in your analogies.  In the big cities, ALL women wear tennis shoes when not in the office so as to make it easier to access the sub ways, etc.  Same is true in New York City.  I dont see what is wrong with a black woman driving a city bus.  That means she is employed and is likely a productive and responsible citizen.  There will always be people who attempt to get things out of a dumpster- although I must admit I havent seen full sandwiches come out of one.  Do you understand that it is virtually impossible to eliminate all poverty?  That has never been accomplished anywhere.  I think the best we can do is to try to keep it at a minimum and provide assistance, to some extent, to those who are impoverished.  But I also believe that there has to be some strings attached to those who  remain on assistance for very long times.  I believe we have got to find a way to make being on public assistance less attractive than working at McDonalds- right now, it doesnt seem to be that way.

I am missing something in your analogies.  In the big cities, ALL women wear tennis shoes when not in the office so as to make it easier to access the sub ways, etc.  Same is true in New York City.  I dont see what is wrong with a black woman driving a city bus.  That means she is employed and is likely a productive and responsible citizen.  There will always be people who attempt to get things out of a dumpster- although I must admit I havent seen full sandwiches come out of one.  Do you understand that it is virtually impossible to eliminate all poverty?  That has never been accomplished anywhere.  I think the best we can do is to try to keep it at a minimum and provide assistance, to some extent, to those who are impoverished.  But I also believe that there has to be some strings attached to those who  remain on assistance for very long times.  I believe we have got to find a way to make being on public assistance less attractive than working at McDonalds- right now, it doesnt seem to be that way.

Now you know I purposely didn't finish my analogy  :P  What do you think happened when Black women started competing with their Black mates for those blue collar jobs....hmmm?

If the male stays home, gets a job, and provides for his family, there isnt much need to have competition from his wife.  Its when he makes a baby, leaves home, and forces her to provide for the family that the trouble begins.  She is out getting a job while he is out making another baby somewhere else, leaving that family, and yada yada yada. This is not a good example for the children .