Who's the most prestigious HS program in TX thats you would want your kid to play at?

Guest Farmer Fran

Since my son played Jr high football there back in the mid 2000's, I would have to say Stephenville.

If we had not moved, he would have got that state ring in 2012. He will not let me forget that..lol

Dayton because not very many could compete for a starting job@ 1 of the elite hs football programs.While Dayt has fared well w/22 srs or less in 19 straight playoff appearances we've only had about 4 fb players that played D1 college ball,many others got smaller school scholarships.We've had some great HS football teams & I'm still proud of every 1 of them.It most certainly would help if we were not geographic located where we are w/0 major newspaper reporters.Coaching got us where we've been.

Seeing as how my goal is for my sons and nephews to receive the most opportunities possible to get a free education, I would have to make the 10 minute move down the road and send them to North Shore, usually the most talented team In the state. Now that Kay has taken over, the Mustangs should open the offense up and become even more dominant than they were under Aymond. Throw in the fact that they play teams like Manvel, Katy, Trinity and Westfield in the pre-district and have one of the nicest stadiums in Houston, and you have my pick.

Seeing as how my goal is for my sons and nephews to receive the most opportunities possible to get a free education, I would have to make the 10 minute move down the road and send them to North Shore, usually the most talented team In the state. Now that Kay has taken over, the Mustangs should open the offense up and become even more dominant than they were under Aymond. Throw in the fact that they play teams like Manvel, Katy, Trinity and Westfield in the pre-district and have one of the nicest stadiums in Houston, and you have my pick.

You don't have to move. They have a "open enrollment" policy when it comes to athletics.

How are we defining prestigious?  Most wins, best facilities, best coaches, most scholarships, best chance at a state title, most players in the NFL???  What materialistic things are we using as criteria for these selections?

Personally, I would want my kid to play where he grew up and where all of his friends are.  But I know in this day and age, that is becoming the exception instead of the rule.  Instead of trying to build tradition where they are, many choose to move their kids to programs that are more rich in tradition or have a winning record.  My problem with that philosophy is that I thought we were supposed to raise kids to be able to handle and overcome adversities in life.  Parents that move their kids to a more 'prestigious' program instead of letting them suffer a little, learn to fight for what's important and accept any challenge no matter how great, are what is wrong with our world today.

*off topic

LilTex- you didn't play Newport last weekend did you? I passed by someone in a Broncos hat getting into a silver Silverado. Very disturbing to see intruders so close to home.

Not last weekend but thank god some of us Lib co folk play there.Newport hasn't been very profitable in a long time,therefore the course cond.has suffered.They better get some Lib co.rednecks to come catch all the wild hogs @Newport.They have rooted entire yards all the way to the back door.As I said before I coached a bit in Crosby youth league & lived in Indian Shores a cpl yrs.Mud taxes/lack of law enforcement sent me packing ;)

How are we defining prestigious?  Most wins, best facilities, best coaches, most scholarships, best chance at a state title, most players in the NFL???  What materialistic things are we using as criteria for these selections?

Personally, I would want my kid to play where he grew up and where all of his friends are.  But I know in this day and age, that is becoming the exception instead of the rule.  Instead of trying to build tradition where they are, many choose to move their kids to programs that are more rich in tradition or have a winning record.  My problem with that philosophy is that I thought we were supposed to raise kids to be able to handle and overcome adversities in life.  Parents that move their kids to a more 'prestigious' program instead of letting them suffer a little, learn to fight for what's important and accept any challenge no matter how great, are what is wrong with our world today.

Agreed. Good post.

I also understand that every kid that puts on a uniform isnt going to the next level, not every kid puts the pads on ever again once HS is over so I would want his HS experience to be good for him all the way around....enjoy it. HS is only 4 years of your life...so is college and so is the average NFL career IF you're that lucky....that's 12 years of your life.....that goes by fast...don't want to put all of "Life's eggs" in that one basket.

My view on that is kind of opposite. IMO comfort breeds complacency. The reason schools like NS and Westfield are so good is because the kids scratch and claw for pretty much everything they get. I wouldn't want my son to keep job somewhere in the hopes that he can change the course of company. I want him to go to work for one of the big dogs where he will be challenged from the day he walks in door.

If your kid plays for a loser or a mediocre program and they're giving great individual effort that isn't producing team results then they become more accepting of failure. Winning or upper tier programs expect to win all the time so failure is unacceptable. More prestigious programs usually have better coaches, community support and track record with scholarships. IMO it helps them get a better start to life outside of football.

Not last weekend but thank god some of us Lib co folk play there.Newport hasn't been very profitable in a long time,therefore the course cond.has suffered.They better get some Lib co.rednecks to come catch all the wild hogs @Newport.They have rooted entire yards all the way to the back door.As I said before I coached a bit in Crosby youth league & lived in Indian Shores a cpl yrs.Mud taxes/lack of law enforcement sent me packing ;)

Yeah, it's been in rough shape for a while now. I grew up right off the course though so it has a certain nostalgia to me. Hey though, those high taxes just got us a big bong passed that will bring one of the nicer high schools in the area and a drastically needed upgrade to our athletic facilities. 80+ million dollars worth. Get ready for Crosby to take the next step in becoming a destination for "some" players.

Yeah, it's been in rough shape for a while funny.gifnow. I grew up right off the course though so it has a certain nostalgia to me. Hey though, those high taxes just got us a big bong passed that will bring one of the nicer high schools in the area and a drastically needed upgrade to our athletic facilities. 80+ million dollars worth. Get ready for Crosby to take the next step in becoming a destination for "some" players.

Ghelyon.gif Now that's what I'm talking about! That's a heck of a recruiting tool! Ha Ha couldn't let that pass!