HJ 109 HF 52 Final/Friday (note, this is an old thread)

• 2 years later...

Ryan also fouled out so no telling how many he could of had

I brought this thread back to show a couple(not all) HJ fans how the shoe is on the other foot.

Donahoe almost outscores the entire opponent and is commented that if he hadn't fould out, he would have had more.

Question for Bullets, why was he still playing in the 4th with that big of a lead?

Note, no one has criticized HJ in this thread.

I brought this thread back to show a couple(not all) HJ fans how the shoe is on the other foot.

Donahoe almost outscores the entire opponent and is commented that if he hadn't fould out, he would have had more.

Question for Bullets, why was he still playing in the 4th with that big of a lead?

Good point!

If you notice it is only HJ fans, no one from any other school posts anything...Also, when is the last time a thread with HJ in the title only gets 281 views (including some from today), and only 11 posts. NEVER!

I see your point. But it is not like the basketball forum back in '07 was a ghost town. That was when HJ won their state title and there was plenty of banter going on between Silsbee and HJ. I just think that nobody else posted on this thread because they were okay with the results. There was nothing to criticize.

i still maintain that i have not come on here with an overly accusatory tone.  i haven't criticized the coaches.  i've just stated why, TO ME, Silsbee put it on them a little too much. 

Is there a critical difference between these two results?  no.  HJ wins by 59, Silsbee by 64.

The main difference to me is this:  Silsbee had a 30 point lead going into halftime, but scored more points in the 2nd half than in the first, and more points in the 4th quarter (they had a 40 point lead going in) than in any other quarter.  HJ scored less points in the 2nd than in the 1st half, and also allowed more points, showing that their defense loosened up a bit.  also, HJ had legitimate subs and bench players on that team that NEEDED to come in and get some playing time at full speed.  As you said in the other thread, every player that Silsbee had in the BC game is a regular contributor, so it's not like they had scrubs in the game who deserved a shot to score some points or get some playing time. 

as an aside:  This thread does not mention which quarter Ryan fouled out in, or how much time he got in the 2nd half.  I think had Mr. Robinson been a point away from 50, nobody would criticize having him in the game for an opportunity to hit another shot.  It could've been the 3rd, or the 4th, maybe you were there broadcasting and know something i dont?  i'm seriously asking, no sarcasm here.

i still maintain that i have not come on here with an overly accusatory tone.  i haven't criticized the coaches.  i've just stated why, TO ME, Silsbee put it on them a little too much. 

Is there a critical difference between these two results?  no.  HJ wins by 59, Silsbee by 64.

The main difference to me is this:  Silsbee had a 30 point lead going into halftime, but scored more points in the 2nd half than in the first, and more points in the 4th quarter (they had a 40 point lead going in) than in any other quarter.  HJ scored less points in the 2nd than in the 1st half, and also allowed more points, showing that their defense loosened up a bit.  also, HJ had legitimate subs and bench players on that team that NEEDED to come in and get some playing time at full speed.  As you said in the other thread, every player that Silsbee had in the BC game is a regular contributor, so it's not like they had scrubs in the game who deserved a shot to score some points or get some playing time. 

as an aside:  This thread does not mention which quarter Ryan fouled out in, or how much time he got in the 2nd half.  I think had Mr. Robinson been a point away from 50, nobody would criticize having him in the game for an opportunity to hit another shot.  It could've been the 3rd, or the 4th, maybe you were there broadcasting and know something i dont?  i'm seriously asking, no sarcasm here.

Donahoe fouled out in the middle of the 4th. Obviously the subs didn't need that much work if he was still playing.

As for the Silsbee game, I think I have explained that one already.

My point about these two games is nobody criticized this game but funny how some come on and question the Silsbee game.

i can tell you exactly why he was still in the game even though hj was winning by alot. the school record was 58 points in one game. coach sutherland wanted to see if donahoe could break it. but he ended up fouling out.

i can tell you exactly why he was still in the game even though hj was winning by alot. the school record was 58 points in one game. coach sutherland wanted to see if donahoe could break it. but he ended up fouling out.

Let me make it perfectly clear, I have no problem with Donahoe still being in this game. I was just asking a rhetorical question.

i think the fact that only 5 people (not counting coop's updates) commented on that game two years ago ought to tell you something.  The H.S. basketball board was dead back then.  HJ and Silsbee probably draw the most interest in the basketball section now, and they did two years ago as well.  the difference is now we get 25 or more people commenting on the HJ or Silsbee games (even Evadale/H.I. got 10 comments this week!), instead of just a handful. With all of these posters, somebody is going to say something about your 60 point win, and the fact that, by appearances, anyway, ya'll turned it on in the 4th quarter to do so. I think the same thing would be said if HJ wins a game by 64, and I wouldn't make excuses if they did.  There are two schools of thought, and you either belong to one or the other...  A) it's ok to score as many as you want, and beat the opponent as badly as you can

B) after the lead is insurmountable, do your best to not humiliate your opponent.  I belong to the 2nd group, but i'm not overly critical of the 1st.  As I've said before, I'm not outraged by what happened in the Silsbee game, I just would've liked to have seen it end a little differently.  I would feel the same way if HJ won by 64.

Two (HJ and Silsbee) wrongs (if you believe it's wrong to win by a lot) don't make a right  ;D

Is what your saying because HJ did it, Silsbee can?  

Or is it everyone is being mean to Silsbee?  8)

I personally, could care less how much a team wins by, as long as they don't press when they are winning by 20..

When I played and we were winning by a lot, we had to make a certain amount of passes before we could score, no fast breaks either.

Two (HJ and Silsbee) wrongs (if you believe it's wrong to win by a lot) don't make a right  ;D

I personally, could care less how much a team wins by, as long as they don't press when they are winning by 20..

When I played and we were winning by a lot, we had to make a certain amount of passes before we could score, no fast breaks either.

I am talking about glass houses here. Nothing about if HJ can win big, so should Silsbee or if anyone is being "mean" to Silsbee.

The fact is, I was at the game and I know for a fact the score was not intentionaly run up on BC, it just fell that way. Same as this game from two years ago. It's funny that people who did not attend games know the story of it based simply off the score. ::)

Guest tigersvoice

Back when you were playing, and I surmise that that was four to

eight years ago, you didn't have to worry about running up the score!  ;D

Back when you were playing, and I surmise that that was four to

eight years ago, you didn't have to worry about running up the score!   ;D

You'd be surprised  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    katty
    Newest Member
    katty