Happy Independence Day

TROJANSWIN

The iraq "war" alone, because of the civil rights act my dad was allowed to test for a position at DuPont. He made the highest grade and got a good job. I remember my parents excitedly telling me that i was going to college when I was a little girl. Fast forward 38 yrs, I now have 2 college degrees, my husband has one, my sister has one. My nephew has started college, my oldest son is being recruited by ivy league schools, my baby boy is going to college. This was all made possible by the civil rights act of 1965. If lbj was a racist, he put his personal beliefs aside for the greater good.

Are you aware that George H. W. Bush, fully cognizant of the bill's opposition in his Houston area congressional district and the threats his biggest political backers had made against him, sacrificed his reelection bid by voting for the 1964 Voting Rights Act, because he preferred to preserve his conscience and lose his election rather than vice versa?

The iraq "war" alone, because of the civil rights act my dad was allowed to test for a position at DuPont. He made the highest grade and got a good job. I remember my parents excitedly telling me that i was going to college when I was a little girl. Fast forward 38 yrs, I now have 2 college degrees, my husband has one, my sister has one. My nephew has started college, my oldest son is being recruited by ivy league schools, my baby boy is going to college. This was all made possible by the civil rights act of 1965. If lbj was a racist, he put his personal beliefs aside for the greater good.

Then Richard Nixon is a great President to me, because he was president when the Vietnam draft was called off and kept my father from having to go fight a war that your hero LBJ made millions off of. My father had a draft lottery number of 8 and had already taken his military physical when the draft was cancelled. Nixon later resigned in shame. But based on your logic, he was a great president.

BG.....

Who appointed the first two African-American secretaries of state in the nation’s history?

Who condemned the admissions system at the University of Michigan, which used race as one of several factors to determine admissions qualification, as “unfair and impossible to square with the Constitution”?

Then Richard Nixon is a great President to me, because he was president when the Vietnam draft was called off and kept my father from having to go fight a war that your hero LBJ made millions off of. My father had a draft lottery number of 8 and had already taken his military physical when the draft was cancelled. Nixon later resigned in shame. But based on your logic, he was a great president.

FYI, and this from a guy who votes Democrat a lot more than Republican, Nixon was not a terrible president.  He did a lot of things right.  He was one of the greats at diplomacy.  He was exceedingly savvy with his appointments.  If it weren't for Watergate, his presidency would likely have been exemplary (in my humble opinion).

FYI, and this from a guy who votes Democrat a lot more than Republican, Nixon was not a terrible president. He did a lot of things right. He was one of the greats at diplomacy. He was exceedingly savvy with his appointments. If it weren't for Watergate, his presidency would likely have been exemplary (in my humble opinion).

I agree. I think Eisenhower was great as well.

just like bush and cheney did off of the war in Iraq? What year did the Vietnam war start?