If you could have only one pistol, which would it be?

westend1

If there was a single, catch-all handgun, it would have to be something like a Glock 23 or 19. 

It is small enough to conceal but not tiny. In the .40S&W (23) it holds 13 rounds in the magazine which is a lot for a compact handgun and in the 9mm (19) holds 15 rounds. 

Glock is simply the easiest to shoot and best over the counter combat handgun on the market. There are plenty of guns to choose from for specialties but for an all around, there almost is no comparison. 

I love my Springfield XD 9mm subcompact. Not perfect for carry, but small enough, and 16 rounds gives me more than enough chances to hit my target. I've fired over 1000 rounds through it with no jams, and I just like the way it feels. But no argument with the glocks that TVC mentioned.

I gotta agree with tvc here. My edc is a Glock 9mm, so I guess that is my "one" pistol. Once upon a time, 9mm ammo was cheaper and more readily available than .40 cal ammo, but that difference is shrinking. Today, I'd look hard at the .40 cal Glocks.
I still have a thing for the time proven wheel guns, though. A S&W 38 special or .357 with a short barrel would have to be a consideration as well.

Edit- After thinking about this for a while, I realized I couldn't do away with my .45. While it is heavy to carry, it may be my favorite handgun. I dont think I can pick one pistol!

I'll take my Glocks anyday. I have a 17, 19, and 26. I just got the Baby Glock (26) and love it. The 19 is my favorite. It went under in Hurricane Ike...stayed under salt water for 5 days. I brought it in to be serviced and all that was needed was a little cleaning. The magazines are still functioning perfectly.