2014 World Cup Thread

That was a heartbreaker, but realistically, any educated fan offered a draw before the match started would have jumped on it. We're still in good shape, but Germany tying Ghana made things a lot less straightforward than they could've been. Oddsmakers still have us at 76% to advance, which feels about right. Win or draw against Germany, we advance. Portugal-Ghana tie, we advance. Portugal beats Ghana, we advance unless the combined total of our loss to Germany and portugals win over Ghana totals more than four, and there are scenarios where it can total 5 and we still advance. There is also a scenario where we can lose 1-0 to Germany, and Ghana wins 1-0 and we advance on head to head, and possibilities where we have a 1-goal loss and Ghana a 1-goal win where we'd advance of goals scored, which actually comes into play before h2h. Lots of possibilities.

I think the best solution for Germany and the US would be a draw. Germany would then get first, US second. That would most likely mean a US-Belgium and a Germany-Russia/Algeria second round matchup. Believe we would matchup well with Belgium and would not want a Russia match with how diplomatic relations are going right. . I actually wouldn't mind another Germany-Austria 1982 type of match just don't make it to obvious

I think the best solution for Germany and the US would be a draw. Germany would then get first, US second. That would most likely mean a US-Belgium and a Germany-Russia/Algeria second round matchup. Believe we would matchup well with Belgium and would not want a Russia match with how diplomatic relations are going right. . I actually wouldn't mind another Germany-Austria 1982 type of match just don't make it to obvious

As a selfish US fan I wouldn't either, but for the sake of fair play I hope they don't do it. I know how devastating it would be for US fans if it was another team playing Germany in our position and we got cheated out of a chance of advancing.

As for our possible matchup in the knockout stage, I feel like as much as we got screwed by being in the group of death, they kind of made up for it by making the group we were paired with an easy one. If the US advances they'll be playing a team that IMO would've been the worst team in our group. That being said, that definitely does not guarantee a win.

@Rachel__Nichols: Today is the 3rd time Uruguay's Luis Suárez has been accused of biting an opponent, which is why his occasional nickname is "The Cannibal"

What kind of punishment will FIFA give?

I saw something on the news ticker saying he could get as much as 24 games if they go by matches, or two years if they suspend for a time period. I saw where he acted like nothing happened when interviewed. It's a shame that one of the top 5-10 players in the world is a total idiot.

Italy, Spain, and England all eliminated in the pool stage. This pool has been very interesting.

To me the talk of the cup is that Costa Rica, considered one of the weakest teams in the tourney, not only advanced, but won a group with England, Uruguay, and Italy, all teams that many one think had a realistic shot of going very deep into the knockout stage.

I saw something on the news ticker saying he could get as much as 24 games if they go by matches, or two years if they suspend for a time period. I saw where he acted like nothing happened when interviewed. It's a shame that one of the top 5-10 players in the world is a total idiot.

He's suspended for 9 matches(4 months) and fined. That seems like a pretty decent punishment IMO.

We played well in what turned out to be the actual toughest group. Seconds away from beating Portugal and a close game against Germany, a team so deep that 5 other Germans were playing in the same group against them.

We had our chances today and in my opinion the ref was fair. No chance to stop the german goal. Howard made a great save and just bounced the wrong way. US had a chance in stoppage time and just missed twice. Jones was just a touch a way a couple of times and then the run where the ref ran one of us over in the box.

Overall us and CONCACAF proved we deserve respect as the third best confederation and look forward to Tuesday. Believe we have a good shot and this tournament is proving how far we've come under klinsmann. Not wanting to look too far ahead but don't think we can get past Argentina. Messi is just on another level right now and when teams play an open game looking to win and and advance they won't be stopped.