David Suggs just named HC at Ozen!!!

Gtj007

Ozen won't have spring ball I mean I don't even think it's logical at this point

How so?

I say impliment (sp) some things now so the work isn't that hard towards end of summer and the players come into fall practice with some type of understanding of what is going on and expected of them.

I wonder if the Ozen faithful are happy about who they hired or just the fact that they have a coach? Looks like he was 6-15 at Ball with similar circumstances he'll face at Ozen, and was never part of a winning staff at Lee which is also similar to Ozen. It looks like he's going to try to run the ball which is safe and fine, but I'm not sure Ozen has the enrollment to put together a good enough O-line for that scheme in that district? Guys also get hurt more in run-heavy offenses. I just think Ozen made the "safe" hire instead of trying to get the best coach like they did the first go around. JMO though.

I wonder if the Ozen faithful are happy about who they hired or just the fact that they have a coach? Looks like he was 6-15 at Ball with similar circumstances he'll face at Ozen, and was never part of a winning staff at Lee which is also similar to Ozen. It looks like he's going to try to run the ball which is safe and fine, but I'm not sure Ozen has the enrollment to put together a good enough O-line for that scheme in that district? Guys also get hurt more in run-heavy offenses. I just think Ozen made the "safe" hire instead of trying to get the best coach like they did the first go around. JMO though.

I definitely would've preferred Atkins over this guy...I can admit I'm not too exited about his "old school" style of football. Most teams in high school & college teams run spread I would like to see Ozen do the same. But only thing we can do now is wait and see.

you failed to mention the talent level was bare at those two schools. That was the biggest issue.

I'm agreeing with Cougar 14 in part,the O line minus depth and a true O line coach will be a factor. The losing record at Ball  and he(Suggs) coming from a losing program in Baytown. Hands down he was the ''SAFE HIRE''  VS The Admin. finding the best hire out there. Would it be violating any rules to seek more qualified coaches that werent on the applicant list ? I realize it may be difficult to attract an upper echelon coach with the turmoil thats currently going on in BISD. Chargois made the Safe Hire not Ozen community and the Board approved his recommendation with a 7-0 vote. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar meaning ,PNG/Nederland money will get you that Upper echelon

build the program coach. Anything less will gets you a Patch- job/-quick fix-/2 and through coach and the saga continues at Ozen. It was mentioned on this site that Ozen will never be Hebert that statement was spoken picture perfect clarity. However Ozen has underachieved for the amount of talent there now. Good luck to coach Suggs and his players... Go Panthers...  

Just like BuddyGaritty said prior to your post, there was little talent at Ball and Lee for him to work with. After the hurricanes in Galveston, the talent went north to LaMarque, Dickinson, and Texas City. Lee, well Lee is Lee. They haven't been much for about 15 years...

BUT he did pretty good at Nimitz, Central, and his other jobs, where he had real talent.

It's hard for a ship to reach the dock on it's own and now Ozen has a Captain with experience. Now a Captain is no good without a ship to guide and Ozen has talent, despite what some may believe they have some big bodies that have to be developed and if he can get some out on the field from the hallways then he should be just fine. His crew members must be able to support him and develop the players. It's not all impossible to have success this year but a lot of things will have to fall in place real soon. Good thing is, is that, it's not Suggs 1st rodeo and I say Panthers will be solid this coming year because he will hold everyone accountable for being the best they can be. JMO ;)

I agree with a lot that has been mentioned, but some kids just aren't cut out for sports. Too many excuses & poor work ethic, that's why many walk the halls. Must give the Coach something to work with. Many want polished athletes, but the Coach isn't a miracle worker. Your kid needs to work hard, be dedicated & not so thin skinned.JMO 

The Saga continues as far as i'm concerned.  Ive been around too long to say we will be fine, I know we have big Hill to climb. Coach Suggs may be the man to do it. I'm from Missouri(you know how the saying goes) SHOW ME!!!!

I didn't Fall for the last Imposter & certainly won't Fall for anything this time around. Good Luck Coach Suggs & welcome back to SETX

Go Panthers!!!

I feel ya'll as MaGee has some questioning whether the sun will ever shine again in the Pear Orchard side of Bmt. I'm just a half glass full instead of half empty type of guy. it's hard at times to remain positive about all the BS that has been backing up from the sewer lately but I'm believing in a successful season with Suggs at the helm! Let's Go Panthers!

I have no reason to believe Ozen wont make the playoffs. Suggs track record in the Golden Triangle speaks for itself when it comes to that (including a winning record versus Mid-County in district with the 1 and only loss coming at the hands of PNG one year).....

I think they will start the season kinda slow since apparently no Spring Ball will be done. 

Question I have is: what place in the top 4 do you guys think Ozen will end up? I still have 1. Central and 2. PNG.............the other 2 spots are up for grabs.

Weight sunk the boat, its time out for the wait and see process. It's time to start working now on ''The Work Ethics''... You have to want it !!! At this point the mental toughness needs to be upgraded. Hopefully Suggs can get it going otherwise the PearOrchard and TripeCity will continue to lose its top athletes to Westbrook. FYI had Hebert never closed we wouldnt be having this conversation. Hebert would be Hebert and the current Westbrook would be Forest Park. JMO, Good luck 22-5A I'm ready for some football.... :) 

I am sure coach Suggs have been coaching long enough to start building relationships among his players,some things are for the players to do, your key offensive players and key defensive players should make a schedule and work hard during the summer on conditioning, and basic skill sets, just doing that will build chemistry ,the players will be much more prepared by time the season starts. JMO

I'm just keeping it real. Many have champagne expectations on a beer budget for the underachieved Ozen football program. In some opinions is a fool's notion. Going .500 is a realistic prediction. Making the playoffs is on the wish list. I wish Coach Suggs good luck on a respectable season.

Thanks to the Admin. the saga continues. I hope this opinion lites a fire under players and coaches to take the program to another level. Go Panthers.....