20-4A Scores Round 14

Does not seem fair to eliminate one and let two play but it is what it is.

There was a disputed obstruction call at home plate in the Livingston-PNG game that overruled an out and resulted in two runs being scored for Livingston.  That call goes the other way and the runs scored totals would have been different.  Will be a hard pill to swallow for the Lady Indians.

Sounds like Poetic Justice. The rules were clear that in a 3 way tie you go head to head first then runs scored then run differential all between just those 3 teams. The only ones it didn't seem clear to were the ones left out. PNG coach seems to be making the most fuss and fittingly they don't get in. The coaches last year agreed to the tiebreak rules. By the rules there should not even be a play in game. Lumberton should be in. They will now just have to go out and prove it on the field.

Poetic Justice? Hows that?
If it were PNG in and Lumberton out I'd still say the same thing, play it out!!!!
And I can tell you for certainty that the PNG coach did not "Vote" in the rule. She was in North Texas last year.
So if the rules were not followed as you state, then it sounds like the committee just made up the rules and it doesnt really matter who voted then does it?
District just set a really bad precedence here. So given the chance why would any team not run up the score in a blowout next year?
The only sport that ties should not be played out in is Football because you cant play it out. Why any coach would vote to use run differential to possibly determine the playoff fate of his or her team is un imaginable.

First off if the new coach could have asked that the rule be changed before the season not after when it hurts her team.

Secondly as for blowing teams out the DEC rules state the tiebreaks are between the three teams tied only not overall in district.

As for poetic justice it is the one who complained most is the one who ain't playin. That's justice. Lumberton was in the playoffs as of yesterday afternoon now they have to play a play in game all because one coach didn't like the rules.

Really.
First the coach cant ask to change the rules!
Second the district didnt even follow the rules as written.
Third, So week one of the district how do you know who you may or may not be tied with after the season? YOU DON'T!!!! So you run up the score on any one you can just in case!
Fourth. It's poetic justice that a group of 14 through 17 year old girls ironically "Got what they deserved" for bad doings???? That is the definition of Poetic Justice.
Fifth, coach Sanders would be upset you can bet the bank if she had to tell her group of Seniors tonight that your W's were not the same as their W's so you just played your last HS softball game.

YOU STAY CLASSY RAIDERFAN!

Lumberton was in the playoffs as of yesterday afternoon now they have to play a play in game all because one coach didn't like the rules.

So if they didn't follow the rules, as you stated, then obviously the rules must have been unclear. Sounds like Lemoine must have been on to something otherwise the District Committee would have just said Lumberton is in on Tuesday night!
So now the question is how did they make the determination that they did? What logic was used? And Why?

Actually the rule was very unclear. It did not say if the runs scored tiebreaker was vs teams involved in the tiebreaker or all district opponents. Poorly written rule that any coach would've protested. Also nothing in the rule said that one team would be dropped and the remaining teams would have a play-in from what I saw. It only had a way to decide the 4th place team or have a 3 team tournament.

I feel like letting the girls play it out would have been the best option. Doesn't seem fair for a group of girl's season to end based on a poorly written rule. I'm sure any team in PNG's position would be upset.

The circumstances are unfortunate but by no means was "Poetic Justice" served. All the girls and coaches of those teams worked hard to get to where they were.

Actually the rule was very unclear. It did not say if the runs scored tiebreaker was vs teams involved in the tiebreaker or all district opponents. Poorly written rule that any coach would've protested. Also nothing in the rule said that one team would be dropped and the remaining teams would have a play-in from what I saw. It only had a way to decide the 4th place team or have a 3 team tournament.

The rule is as clear as ice. It states:

"The team with the best record among the games played with the 3 teams involved will be the 4th place team. If there is no clear winner, head to head, points scored, and points scored against will determine the 4th place team."

That sentence right there says that the first tiebreaker was head to head. They were all tied at 2-2. The second tiebreakers was points (runs) scored between the three. This rule means Lumberton is in. Yet PNGs coach thought she could find a loophole because it wasn't in plain enough English. PNG not making the play-in after the coach makes all the fuss is poetic justice.

Central will get blown out by 20 or more every game if there is any chance that it could cost you a playoff spot.  The rules are going to make for some ugly blow outs next year. If any  coach doesn't go fight for their kids they are not worth their salt. This is part of being a coach, you always stand up and fight for kids. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose but I always want my kids to know that I would do anything for them and ALWAYS PROTECT AND FIGHT FOR THEM NO MATTER WHAT. 

The rule is as clear as ice. It states:

"The team with the best record among the games played with the 3 teams involved will be the 4th place team. If there is no clear winner, head to head, points scored, and points scored against will determine the 4th place team."

That sentence right there says that the first tiebreaker was head to head. They were all tied at 2-2. The second tiebreakers was points (runs) scored between the three. This rule means Lumberton is in. Yet PNGs coach thought she could find a loophole because it wasn't in plain enough English. PNG not making the play-in after the coach makes all the fuss is poetic justice.

It says points scored. Not against what teams. You have to be clearer with wordage used for tiebreakers. Look at other districts, college conferences, Etc. That is very unclear. And if it's so clear why are they having Lumberton and Livingston play?

It says points scored. Not against what teams. That is very unclear.

The first sentence reads between the three teams involved. That defines the tiebreaks as between the three teams. If it was for the whole district it would have added in the sentence "runs scored throughout district" instead it bases it on the first sentence which is between the teams involved.

I misread that and edited my response.If you look it it still doesn't say runs against who. You can not assume it's for teams involved just because that would make sense. The SLC tiebreaker in women's basketball throws out head to head. Instead it's record vs top seed first and works it's way down until the tie is broken. I don't like that but it's very clear in tie breaking procedures

I misread that and edited my response.If you look it it still doesn't say runs against who. You can not assume it's for teams involved just because that would make sense. The SLC tiebreaker in women's basketball throws out head to head. Instead it's record vs top seed first and works it's way down until the tie is broken. I don't like that but it's very clear in tie breaking procedures

I just don't understand how it's not clear. The first sentence sets the precedent "between teams involved." And yes there should be no playoff but there is and that is extremely unfortunate for Lumberton since the rules state they should be in.