Deweyville Pirates 2014

DP70

Looking at the schedule for next year, we play 4 teams that only lost 1 game, and 4 teams that had a losing season. Overall record from last year is 71-49. Probably one of the toughest schedules.

Warren

Kirbyville

Woodville

East Chambers

West Sabine

Newton

Garrison

Corrigan-Camden

Crockett

Hemphill

I am not sure about how many starters we are losing, but I'm going to assume most of the backfield except Waldrep, probably half of our linemen. Recievers are coming back. Not sure about defense. Should be an interesting year. Here's how I think district will play out

1. Corrigan-Camden

2. Newton

3. Garrison

4. Deweyville

5. Crockett

6. Hemphill

Sorry bub,,,,hate to bust your bubble.....only team Deweyville beats on that schedule is Hemphill....and thats a maybe........as they will be improved also........Playing EC and Kirbyville is a big difference than playing Sabine Pass........With who yall graduated...going to be a long year.  This how I see district shaping up....#1 and 2 could go either way as both groups are usually loaded.

1.Newton-too many weapons back+add a 9-1 JV.

2.Corrigan-Athletes and a long playoff run like Newton.

3.Garrison-PHYSICAL and like the upper two have a ton of tradition.

4.Crockett-Better athletes than Deweyville and Hemphill but who know who will show up in Crockett in August.

5.Deweyville-Physical but not enough depth or athletes to compete in this district...lost too much from last year's 9-2 team.

6.Hemphill-Playing Deweyville to stay out of the cellar.

Offense will have linemen returning so experience will be there. The only place we are losing EVERYONE will be the backfield. I'm not going to make any outrageous predictions, but I think it will be Deweyville vs. Crockett for 4th, and a close game.

It's no doubt that Deweyville will not be as successful as the last two years. Amazing competition this year and losing a very talented senior class takes its toll. However, I still think we're a playoff team. It's sad that 5 out of the 6 teams ARE playoff material and 1 has to sit out.

Guest Farmer Fran

It will be either Hubbard or Waldrep Deweyville  is losing A LOT but I am hoping Coach Babin can out coach  one or two teams

By the way Cody Dupuy gets offered a place on Lamar's Football team and made his decision to take it this week end.

Looks like I get to continue to wear RED

GO LU

Congrats, it is a great thing to see all that hard work pay off!

It will be either Hubbard or Waldrep Deweyville is losing A LOT but I am hoping Coach Babin can out coach one or two teams
By the way Cody Dupuy gets offered a place on Lamar's Football team and made his decision to take it this week end.
Looks like I get to continue to wear RED

GO LU

Congrats to Cody! Im sure hell do great at Lamar. What position does he want to focus on?

I wonder when the last time Deweyville put an athlete in a D1 school...

I dont think there ever has been. I know they have had their share of great athletes over the years but cant recall any going that high on scholarship. Hopefully with the Pirates recent success they get looked at more. Have to keep that tradition of winning and the exposure will come.

Guest ECBucFan

Deweyville  is losing A LOT but I am hoping Coach Babin can out coach  one or two teams

I really admire DV wanting to play up in predistrict. Thats what readies you for a run in the playoffs. However, looking at some of the commentary in this thread, it appears this coming season was not the ideal time to raise the competition level so much. 

I do wish DV a successful and injury free year.   

I really admire DV wanting to play up in predistrict. Thats what readies you for a run in the playoffs. However, looking at some of the commentary in this thread, it appears this coming season was not the ideal time to raise the competition level so much.

I do wish DV a successful and injury free year.

Why not? In my opinion, this is the perfect time. This coming up team is going to be very young and will be playing together for the next 3 to 4 seasons. Just think how battle tested they will be as juniors and seniors after playing that gauntlet for a couple years together. I understand what your saying, but they have to start playing the big boys sooner or later. Why not sooner and maybe take your lumps to be even better in the coming years?

Why not? In my opinion, this is the perfect time. This coming up team is going to be very young and will be playing together for the next 3 to 4 seasons. Just think how battle tested they will be as juniors and seniors after playing that gauntlet for a couple years together. I understand what your saying, but they have to start playing the big boys sooner or later. Why not sooner and maybe take your lumps to be even better in the coming years?

I can understand that. If they can keep their head up, after having some losing seasons, keep the team together. And they will need to be well coached to compete in that district. It'll be a challenge, hope they can rise to the occasion.

I can understand that. If they can keep their head up, after having some losing seasons, keep the team together. And they will need to be well coached to compete in that district. It'll be a challenge, hope they can rise to the occasion.

Well, i do not know Coach Babin personally but have heard nothing but good things about him. If they can keep him around and continue the success of not just highschool but the pee wee leagues, they could build something special in Deweyville.

Keeping a coach is hard to do in Deweyville. The average coach stays 3 years from what I have seen. From looking at the school's football history, Babin is almost a repeat of Coach Gamble in 1980 and 1981 seasons. The only way Babin is different is that he plans on being back next year. Gamble left after two seasons after leading us 17-5. Babin after two seasons is 17-5. So people in Deweyville have been watching and wondering if he is going to end up like Gamble, which I doubt he is. He's an amazing coach and gets along with his players well. He will have the Pirates ready for any team on any week. 

Problem is, they are in a district with Newton. Newton is a powerhouse. CC isn't bad either. They are definitely moving up in level of competition. They will need that elite coach and support from the fan base. Mostly teams that win has a coach for extended stays. Newton has had 2 coaches in about 45 years. And most likely won't lose the one they have now, no time soon. Or you better be able to acquire a good coach. Have to make yourself attractive to do that.