"REALLY" - NEDERLAND - "ONLY 2"

MAYFIELD

Why is everyone stuck on D1, the thing is helping to get or put kids in any college. Like I said nothing is guaranteed, but to know your coaches are doing their share to help a kid means alot to that kid. This school has a winning tradition and excellent coaching staff, we just don't advance players.

So who on this year's Nederland team, who desired to play at the next level, did not get supported and opportunities to be recruited? How many current Nederland players have Hudl videos out there and who produced them? How many camps have Nederland kids gone too? I think this whole thread is RIDICULOUS, no offense, you said opinions were accepted. And the whole comment around Ozen gaining 10 scholarships, that's great, but let me ask you this. Do you think if those 10 had played at Nederland, they wouldn't have been recruited because of the coaching staff? This is all so silly it makes me laugh.

So who on this year's Nederland team, who desired to play at the next level, did not get supported and opportunities to be recruited? How many current Nederland players have Hudl videos out there and who produced them? How many camps have Nederland kids gone too? I think this whole thread is RIDICULOUS, no offense, you said opinions were accepted. And the whole comment around Ozen gaining 10 scholarships, that's great, but let me ask you this. Do you think if those 10 had played at Nederland, they wouldn't have been recruited because of the coaching staff? This is all so silly it makes me laugh.

It's so silly it makes you laugh,and this thread is ridiculous. In still you read and made a statement towards so what are you calling yourself. I said in the thread it's only a opinion what makes you be defined to say what is worthy to say or not. I know one thing it touched alot of people around this town, so maybe the older people know something. So next time before calling out what is ridiculous or not try not being part of the "ridiculousness" with a response.

The ridiculous part is blaming high school coaches for kids not playing at the next level.  Excuse me, insinuating is a better term.  Which would you consider better, a losing team with 10 kids receiving scholarships (would like to know what schools these kids are going to) or a winning team with only 2.  What coaches do a better job?  What coaches work harder for the kids, ALL THE KIDS!!!!!  Give me a break Mayfield.  And to say it touched a few of the older people in the community?  Maybe the ones like you who do not get it.  I have tried to put it in term you could understand in several posts.  You just have an axe to grind because you 5'8", 155# kid didn't get any offers.

and again, so often it does come down to choice...let's be honest, Nederland does not produce many big time D1 athletes in football, but they have had plenty that could play at a lower level program...however, some of the lower level programs are not as attractive academically or are in towns that are not as appealing to live in, so the kids have a  choice to make...do I go to a better school and not play or do I go somewhere where I may not end up challenged academically or a place where I may not enjoy living?? If a kid wants to go play somewhere, just anywhere, Nederland's coaches WILL help them do that...I have witnessed it and know this to be true...to blame them for kids not playing at the next level is an unfair statement IMO

The ridiculous part is blaming high school coaches for kids not playing at the next level.  Excuse me, insinuating is a better term.  Which would you consider better, a losing team with 10 kids receiving scholarships (would like to know what schools these kids are going to) or a winning team with only 2.  What coaches do a better job?  What coaches work harder for the kids, ALL THE KIDS!!!!!  Give me a break Mayfield.  And to say it touched a few of the older people in the community?  Maybe the ones like you who do not get it.  I have tried to put it in term you could understand in several posts.  You just have an axe to grind because you 5'8", 155# kid didn't get any offers.

which kid are you referring to sir and which offers, as I said before whoever you may be my son is ok. now again this is a topic of opinion and i can get personal and don:t have to hide behind name. if i have a axe to grind trust and believe it can be of another kind. say what you but you bring my son into any equation brings about a whole different life you know nothing about. so if you want a axe i can find who you are and give it to you, now its more than a opinion topic how bout that.

Point being Mayfield, quit hammering coaches.  An opinion is one thing, an opinion that could affect a man's livelihood is another.  I am sorry you took offense to the comment about size of your son.  Not meaning to make it personal but I see that I did.  In general, that is what we as coaches find.  Parents get mad that their kid didn't get a football scholarship or a chance to play at the next level and blame coaches, yet their son is not nearly big enough to even think about playing beyond high school.

And, just so you know, I have a son who is 5'9", 160#'s that was a 2 year starter on a 5A team that played in the State Championship game.  I understand as a parent and a coach that he is a very good football player.  I also understand as a coach, he is not a college football player.  I am fine with that.  I know it has nothing to do with coaches but everything to do with physical characteristics.

Both Mayfield's have an opportunity to play at the next level from the standpoint of physical abilities. And L. Mayfield was probably the most improved player on last years defense from beginning to end. I don't think MAYFIELD is campaigning for his kids to get a scholarship, I think he's trying to figure out how the process works. I think it's pretty obvious that high school coaches can only do so much and the rest is up to the player. We've also heard that Razor had first hand experience with the support and help that Nederland coaches provide given interest from the kid. I think we've learned a lot. Best of luck to the MAYFIELD's and any other kid who has aspirations to play at the next level.

No sir I'm not once again this started with some old men talking at Market Basket, that says they know the history of Nederland football and I posted it. As far as my son he has visited 2 colleges so far, has a combine this week I think he figured it out for himself. Like I said Leon life is not defined by football, if he get no offers he will still be a man and have his family and faith.

I will say this and I've said this @work to native Ned grads.  Neumann doesn't help those kids so how do you expect them to help those who transfer in.  If I had a kid in South County, the last place I'd send my kid to play is Nederland.....

Yeah, all that winning gets old...I wouldn't want my kid to play there either...smh.

What nobody on here mentions is the outstanding job that the Nederland coaches do teaching their players life skills and how to be productive members of society...let's face it, most little johnnies from around here are NOT going to be making a living playing football, but they will need to be productive husbands, fathers, and employees...you can't put a price tag on that and Nederland's coaches do it very well and IMO nothing is more important

Lets tone it down some.  Mayfield if you have an axe to grind , Coach Neumann's office is open,  I think you know where it is.  SFA,  we all know how you feel about Nederland so your opinion is a little jaded don't you think?

It is amazing to read some of this stuff.  But it is the society we live in.  "My baby didn't get a college scholarship!!!!!!  Has to be the coach's fault."  I will say again, I know plenty of recruiters that roll through NHS and they all say the staff is a class act and are open and honest about each kid.  They are gracious with video and information.  Not sure what else a coach can do.  If you are unhappy with the process, subscribe to one of those recruiting services for about $3K, get more letters than you care to read and still have no scholarship to show for it.  SMH.

I will say this and I've said this @work to native Ned grads.  Neumann doesn't help those kids so how do you expect them to help those who transfer in.  If I had a kid in South County, the last place I'd send my kid to play is Nederland.....

My boys wasn't transferred in they was born here, and  Neumann and his staff is the best in the business around here of understanding the game. Their record speaks for itself, nobody can deny that. It's just funny because they all think I'm speaking about my son, when it was their own born and raised, guess I was just the crazy one to print it out. Live and learn as I tell my boys, but also never forget what you lived and learned.

I had this big long write up but deleted it, instead, here is my quick version opinion. If a kid playing at Nederland, or any other high school, wants to play at the next level, and thinks they have the tools to do so, go prove it on the field, get their name in recruiting data base and go to college camps. Simply being a camp phenom will get you an offer from some level of college. I have a different opinion on what Nederland coaches will do for their players. I happen to think they do all they need to do. Be careful what you wish for too. A full ride to play college ball is a hard ride to finish. Your son will go through things you can't imagine just to get that degree at the end. I can't even attempt to write down in words the dedication it requires to finish what they start, nor can I explain the gratitude for finishing. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Lets tone it down some.  Mayfield if you have an axe to grind , Coach Neumann's office is open,  I think you know where it is.  SFA,  we all know how you feel about Nederland so your opinion is a little jaded don't you think?

Jaded with the testimony of several ex-Nederland players I work with.....

To understand fully the recruiting process in today's society has changed dramatically just in the past few years, what you do on the field of play is a small fraction of what is considered in your collegiate evaluation.  Potential, athletic ability, drills & thrills at combines/camps are what gets coaches excited about a player who they may be recruiting.  Today, Your twitter account is always asked for on questionnaires, just to show how much more the person/athlete is considered rather than their high school achievements.  You can be all-district this and that and not be a player who is considered to be collegiate athletic material.  Does not mean that your were not outstanding at the high school level. 

The coaches in Nederland do all they can for the athlete in any sport, all that they can for their community, all that they can for teaching young boys how to become men, and have given our athletic program excellence from top to bottom.  In my opinion, it is unfair to hammer  them.  Sometimes realistic expectations are the best to understand what your goal is at the next level. 

I have to differ with you on that. He introduced my son to several coaches when they came to the school. I don't know what you think, but Coach Stoker works very hard on helping many of the seniors get recruited. If you have been involved with college recruiting, you will know that it really comes down to the parents and player to do the job!