**FRIDAY, AUG. 16 SCRIMMAGES**/Post Comments

Post your comments (not win or loss  ::)) for today's scrimmages that you attend. Here is a list of scheduled scrimmages:

Friday, August 16

Crosby at Houston St. Thomas, 7:30pm
Friendswood at Dayton, 7:00pm
LC-M at GC Memorial, 7:00pm
Bridge City at Lumberton, 8:00am
Nederland at WO-S, 7:00pm
Hamshire-Fannett at PN-G, 7:30pm
Vidor at Orangefield, 6:00pm
Coldspring at Jasper, 6:30pm
Cleveland at Hardin-Jefferson, 7:00pm
Buna at Anahuac, 6:00pm
Silsbee at Newton, 5:00
Huffman at Stafford, 6:00pm
Houston Washington at Liberty, TBA
Tarkington at East Chambers, TBA
Beaumont Kelly at Warren, 6:00pm
Evadale at Hardin, TBA
Colmesneil at West Sabine, TBA
Hull-Daisetta vs. Vidor JV at Orangefield, 4:00pm
Chester at Baytown Christian, 6:30pm

[quote name="footballfan1135" post="1424709" timestamp="1376661227"]
Any update on how the bc/lum scrimmage is going
[/quote]

Just got back.

Both teams a little thin on size, particularly Lumberton on the defensive side. Raiders are fairly quick on that side of the ball.

Both Manley for Lumberton and Shugart for BC looked decent at times at QB. Shugart hurt Lumberton a couple of times on the zone keeper. Manley never ran the ball. Both teams run games were not up to par, but neither team ran the ball much. Lot's of passing from both teams. Both teams ran every play out of the gun (BC even ran some pistol). BC misses Hunter at RB. BC and Lumberton OL has decent size, but not athletic. Each teams WR looked fair, but several drops. BC's Uzzle plays both ways, slot on offense, MLB on defense.

The defenses for both teams are on the small size. A team with a big, athletic offensive line would give these two teams some problems. Both teams linebacking corp are quick and have a good nose for the ball, secondary a bit on the slow side. Each team had 2 INT's, 2 fumble recoveries.

For the ones that like to keep up with the scoring, this is how it went:

Control scrimmage (set # of plays for each offense)

BC 1st Team      2 TD
BC 2nd Team    0 TD

LUM 1st Team    2 TD
LUM 2nd Team  2 TD

They did play 1 quarter of "live" football (still no kicking game)

Both teams 1st team Offense got inside the 5, but came away with no points.

All in all a good scrimmage. Both teams seemed to work mostly on their passing game.

sounds like both teams still need some work... I am sure getting the new Offense down for Lumberton was 1 of the reasons they struggled...

[b]"A team with a big, athletic offensive line would give these two teams some problems."
"Lumberton OL has decent size, but not athletic."[/b]

This doesn't bode well for Lumberton in 20-4A...

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1424844" timestamp="1376683860"]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=113382.msg1424843#msg1424843 date=1376683740]
How long you going to be in OF?
[/quote]

Till about 6pm, then leave to be in Sour Lake at 7pm.
[/quote]

Cool Look me up... before you bolt to BEdelmen land... :-D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1424844" timestamp="1376683860"]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=113382.msg1424843#msg1424843 date=1376683740]
How long you going to be in OF?
[/quote]

Till about 6pm, then leave to be in Sour Lake at 7pm.
[/quote]
So how did the hawks look in their first scrimmage under the new regime? 

Cleveland's 1st offense scored once on a long pass and second team scored once on a long run. Other than that HJ defense looked solid. HJ did not score. Offense looked good at times but looks like some linemen are struggling with assignments. HJ did move the ball but would then get an offsides call and set them back. Cleveland looked like a solid team. They have a lot of speed. Line looked athletic.

[quote name="bedelmon" post="1425062" timestamp="1376716421"]
Cleveland's 1st offense scored once on a long pass and second team scored once on a long run. Other than that HJ defense looked solid. HJ did not score. Offense looked good at times but looks like some linemen are struggling with assignments.[b] HJ did move the ball but would then get an offsides call[/b] and set them back. Cleveland looked like a solid team. They have a lot of speed. Line looked athletic.
[/quote]

On the Offense.. I do believe that is called a FALSE START.... Cmon Barry you know that ... hhahaha you will catch some flack over this one...

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1425071" timestamp="1376727160"]
[quote author=bedelmon link=topic=113382.msg1425062#msg1425062 date=1376716421]
Cleveland's 1st offense scored once on a long pass and second team scored once on a long run. Other than that HJ defense looked solid. HJ did not score. Offense looked good at times but looks like some linemen are struggling with assignments.[b] HJ did move the ball but would then get an offsides call[/b] and set them back. Cleveland looked like a solid team. They have a lot of speed. Line looked athletic.
[/quote]

On the Offense.. I do believe that is called a FALSE START.... Cmon Barry you know that ... hhahaha you will catch some flack over this one...
[/quote]

Not even going to comment ;)

[quote name="bedelmon" post="1425062" timestamp="1376716421"]
Cleveland's 1st offense scored once on a long pass and second team scored once on a long run. Other than that HJ defense looked solid. HJ did not score. Offense looked good at times but looks like some linemen are struggling with assignments. HJ did move the ball but would then get an offsides call and set them back. Cleveland looked like a solid team. They have a lot of speed. Line looked athletic.
[/quote]

Pretty much agree with this take. Cleveland is athletic but lack in offensive line play (not very big and lack agility) and the QB is not that great. Cleveland's defensive line played well. After getting their feet wet figuring out the HJ offense, Cleveland pretty much shut HJ down the remaining half of the scrimmage.

HJ defense looked much improved except for giving up the big play a time or two. But that comes with the territory when you stunt and blitz as much they did. Sometimes you get caught with your pants down. ;) HJ secondary missed some coverages at times, but all in all played well. HJ offense is still a work in progress. Made some nice runs at times but for the most part, was held in check. HJ was tackled for loss several times. What surprised me the most was during the entire scrimmage (1st and 2nd teams) HJ only attempted 2 passes, both from the 2nd team. HJ 1st team never attempted a pass. Looks as though Coach Dubose is really trying to get the Hawks to learn the offense before expanding on it. I believe this is the type offense HJ has needed all along and I think in time will be successful.

I saw an improved HJ team scrimmage an athletic but a fundamentally lacking Cleveland team. Cleveland scored twice, HJ did not score and the closest HJ got as the Cleveland 20.

BTW, I also did not see a 21-3A district championship team on the field.  ;)

HJ has improved and I think has a shot at the 4th playoff spot, but they have a long way to go in regards to winning 21-3A this season.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1425080" timestamp="1376742523"]
[/quote]

Pretty much agree with this take. Cleveland is athletic but lack in offensive line play (not very big and lack agility) and the QB is not that great. Cleveland's defensive line played well. After getting their feet wet figuring out the HJ offense, Cleveland pretty much shut HJ down the remaining half of the scrimmage.

HJ defense looked much improved except for giving up the big play a time or two. But that comes with the territory when you stunt and blitz as much they did. Sometimes you get caught with your pants down. ;) HJ secondary missed some coverages at times, but all in all played well. HJ offense is still a work in progress. Made some nice runs at times but for the most part, was held in check. HJ was tackled for loss several times. What surprised me the most was during the entire scrimmage (1st and 2nd teams) HJ only attempted 2 passes, both from the 2nd team. HJ 1st team never attempted a pass. Looks as though Coach Dubose is really trying to get the Hawks to learn the offense before expanding on it. I believe this is the type offense HJ has needed all along and I think in time will be successful.

I saw an improved HJ team scrimmage an athletic but a fundamentally lacking Cleveland team. Cleveland scored twice, HJ did not score and the closest HJ got as the Cleveland 20.

BTW, I also did not see a 21-3A district championship team on the field.  ;)

HJ has improved and I think has a shot at the 4th playoff spot, but they have a long way to go in regards to winning 21-3A this season.
[/quote]Good post.

I think this is correct

Vidor 1st Team - 1
OF 1st Team - 0

Vidor 2nd Team - 1
OF 2nd Team - 0

First thing that I noticed was that Orangefield's 1st defense is head and shoulders above where it has been the past few years.  They gave up one long run to Vidor but not too much after that.  Last year I don't think OF ever stopped Vidor.  You can tell they have been working since last season.  OF is bigger and stronger than they have been the past few years.

Orangefield's 1st offense look good at time, but I think I counted 4 fumbles.  Can't do that once the season starts.  Last year OF did not even get a 1st down in this scrimmage.  Wiley ran the ball hard, he looked good.  The QBs looked ok, they will only get better as the season goes on.

Overall I thought OF looked good, but still have some work to do.  First thing is taking care of the football.  I think this team is capable of being very good.  They've brought some excitement back to the community.

Some of the Vidor posters can help me out with them.  They are not the same team as the past few that Vidor has had.  It's still early and they will get better.

You are correct in noting that this year's  Pirate team is not the same type team as the past couple of years.  Both those teams returned quite a few starters from the previous year.  As most know, Vidor had signifcant losses to graduation and is breaking in a new quarterback.  It will take longer this year for the team to get things together.

[b]Woodville/Huntington/Hemphill:[/b]

This was a very physical, tough scrimmage. Woodville dominated it for the most part. Though Hemphill and Huntington had several good drives and scoring plays.

[b]Woodville[/b] looked very good for a young team that most believe is on a down year. QB, Marqui Jackson, looked very good. As did returning running back, Phillip Noble. The line was a little shaky, but had some bright spots. The defense looked great. D-ends and outside linebackers dominated from the defensive side of the ball. Overall, a very efficient scrimmage for Woodville.

[b]Hemphill[/b] had a tough time running the ball, but completed several long passes for scores. Their line has aloooot of work to do before week zero. The defense was just outsized by Woodville and out worked by Huntington.

[b]Huntington[/b]'s defense was the bright spot of the scrimmage for them. They were very aggressive and physical on defense. The athleticism isn't there yet, but they'll work as hard as anyone. On the offensive side of the ball, try seemed to have alot of problems running their new double-wing style offense. Alot of mental mistakes and not many bright spots.

[quote name="Cat22" post="1425100" timestamp="1376749633"]
I think this is correct

Vidor 1st Team - 1
OF 1st Team - 0

Vidor 2nd Team - 1
OF 2nd Team - 0

First thing that I noticed was that Orangefield's 1st defense is head and shoulders above where it has been the past few years.  They gave up one long run to Vidor but not too much after that.  Last year I don't think OF ever stopped Vidor.  You can tell they have been working since last season.  OF is bigger and stronger than they have been the past few years.

Orangefield's 1st offense look good at time, but I think I counted 4 fumbles.  Can't do that once the season starts.  Last year OF did not even get a 1st down in this scrimmage.  Wiley ran the ball hard, he looked good.  The QBs looked ok, they will only get better as the season goes on.

Overall I thought OF looked good, but still have some work to do.  First thing is taking care of the football.  I think this team is capable of being very good.  They've brought some excitement back to the community.

Some of the Vidor posters can help me out with them.  They are not the same team as the past few that Vidor has had.  It's still early and they will get better.
[/quote]

I think Vidor's Def looked scrappy... still needs a little work but above all its a bend dont break scheme and it pretty much worked ...

Our Offense I think this scrimmage may of helped our QB out in understanding the importance of needing to be quick in your spin outs from center...

I think our next scrimmage against WO-S will be a better measure of where we are....

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1425080" timestamp="1376742523"]
[/quote]

[u][b]BTW, I also did not see a 21-3A district championship team on the field.  ;)[/b][/u]HJ has improved and I think has a shot at the 4th playoff spot, but they have a long way to go in regards to winning 21-3A this season.
[/quote]

Not even close to a district championship teamĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦..YetĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦. Remember, you guys said yourself the offense will not be learned over nightĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦.. But we showed signs of getting it downĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦. We will be right by the time we play a district gameĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦ Only been doing this for 2 weeks guysĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦. AAW, I thought you were biased, you come out there and walk along the sidelines like your somebody then get on here and take a cheap shotĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦ TypicalĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦. Just like on the Silsbee/Newton thread, this was a scrimmage, only we didnĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t get handled as bad as Silsbee did, and we are not making excuses for it. False starts, howĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s that, caused a couple of setbacks, thatĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s our faultĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦. I know Newton is a powerhouse, but I thought you guys at Silsbee were too?

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="bedelmon" post="1425170" timestamp="1376767786"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=113382.msg1425080#msg1425080 date=1376742523]
[/quote]

[u][b]BTW, I also did not see a 21-3A district championship team on the field.  ;)[/b][/u]HJ has improved and I think has a shot at the 4th playoff spot, but they have a long way to go in regards to winning 21-3A this season.
[/quote]

Not even close to a district championship teamĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦..YetĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦. Remember, you guys said yourself the offense will not be learned over nightĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦.. But we showed signs of getting it downĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦. We will be right by the time we play a district gameĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦ Only been doing this for 2 weeks guysĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦. AAW, I thought you were biased, you come out there and walk along the sidelines like your somebody then get on here and take a cheap shotĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦ TypicalĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦. Just like on the Silsbee/Newton thread, this was a scrimmage, [b]only we didnĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t get handled as bad as Silsbee did,[/b] and we are not making excuses for it. False starts, howĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s that, caused a couple of setbacks, thatĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s our faultĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦. I know Newton is a powerhouse, but I thought you guys at Silsbee were too?
[/quote]

And here we go!!
Give it a rest edelmon!!

Don't even go there! There is a huge difference between scrimmaging the #1 team in the state and scrimmaging Cleveland.

One thing about it, no matter what HJ does or how much they [b]improved[/b] (insert sarcasm) they will still not beat Silsbee or make the playoffs this year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86