Proper Punishment?

If not a senior let them come back, but they have to spend the year on JV.  If a senior something like 50 hundreds that have to be run after practice and must be completed before the first game of the season.  Till then practice, but no scrimmage time. Freshman should get to comeback for free.

why on earth would you punish a kid for wanting to play?

If he missed the offseason and it affected his progress, then other players will take his playing time anyway...  If he missed the off season , but is still able to contribute, it would seem you would want that player contributing..

These are teens that have alot going on...and arent sure what they want day to day... 

To often, blanket rules get put in place... Each situation is different and must be viewed differently.

[quote name="hjhawks" post="1423768" timestamp="1376362642"]

If he missed the offseason and it affected his progress, then other players will take his playing time anyway...  If he missed the off season , but is still able to contribute, it would seem you would want that player contributing..

These are teens that have alot going on...and arent sure what they want day to day... 

To often, blanket rules get put in place... Each situation is different and must be viewed differently.
[/quote]
I think he's moreless referring to a kid who was in football, quit, and is trying to come back. He should have some conditioning to complete. But I don't think it should be implemented as a "punishment". It should be considered a make-up. And I also think a team vote should take place to promote a team atmosphere in the locker room.

[quote name="eagleswoodville#1" post="1423772" timestamp="1376363208"]
[quote author=hjhawks link=topic=113311.msg1423768#msg1423768 date=1376362642]

[/quote]
I think he's moreless referring to a kid who was in football, quit, and is trying to come back. He should have some conditioning to complete. But I don't think it should be implemented as a "punishment". It should be considered a make-up. And I also think a team vote should take place to promote a team atmosphere in the locker room.
[/quote]

I really like the idea of a team vote!  The head coach was just quoted in the BE for saying "I think the biggest thing for us is our team chemistry."  Said player was a special teams player last year as a junior and could easily start on both sides of the ball this year.

Why punish someone for changing his mind on which sport(s) he wants to concentrate on?

Either let him play or if it will adversely alter the team keep him off. Allowing a player to return but having to prove himself or pay some kind of penance seems silly.

JMO, I believe we as parents give "said" Coaches /AD  too much authority.  Unless these idiots have $$$$ thousands of dollars to back up those demands and start paying for kids' tuition, I don't think you should tell my kid what he/she can play. Correct me if i'm wrong, but this particular kid finished the season & honored the commitment, then switched sports in off season & decided to come back correct? I don't see the problem. Please don't allow these people to ruin your kids sports experience. Once it's over; it's OVER. So allow the kids to play as many sports as his/her schedule & endurance will allow.  JMO >:( >:( >:(

Stand for something or Fall for anything

[quote name="12gage" post="1423831" timestamp="1376402162"]
Parents, great idea let your kid quit while the other kids bust their butts,and the kid that quits plays just baseball, golf, whatever then when football comes around the quitter gets to play again..... Bad idea unless they is
severe punishment
[/quote]

I agree with you for the most part 12gage.  [b]I'm not talking about a kid who plays multiple sports but doesnt quit football.  [/b]But if you quit football at any point you remove yourself from the team and from the preparation for the next season.  To let kids walk in and out of the program with no consequences would weaken it.  To use a cliche', football is the ultimate team sport and if the players and coaches dont know if they can count on a guy to sweat, hurt, and work all year the team concept is lost.

sometimes we need to try and figure out what made the kid quit in the first place. there could be things happening in home, head, or envionment. cole beasley for the cowboys quit last year in the middle of training camp. they gave him time to get himself together, but let him know he really have to prove his worth to make the team if he came back. it isn't always a punishment needed, just understanding and heart. all in all they are still kids.

I think its a case by case basis. Did he talk with the coaches before pulling the pin? or did he just stop going?

I totally understand the team sport thing and putting in the time... but when it boils down to it... the kid is the main focus.. and before throwing stones we should make sure we keep it all in perspective...

[quote name="12gage" post="1423831" timestamp="1376402162"]
Parents, great idea let your kid quit while the other kids bust their butts,and the kid that quits plays just baseball, golf, whatever then when football comes around the quitter gets to play again..... Bad idea unless they is
severe punishment
[/quote]

I understand there should be some "punishment".  What is severe?  Do you suspend the player and hurt the team and a chance at a win, or is there something else done specifically for the player so that it does not affect the TEAM?  Remember 2-8 is unacceptable!  I would hate for this to be the reason not to get a couple of W's.

IMO a quitter is a quitter.....As coach used to say "Where was he (the quitter)when the sweat was running down the crack of your a&&" 
I guess there may be some circumstances that would allow a second chance? How fair is it to the TEAM if everyone gets a pass?

[quote name="outanup" post="1424037" timestamp="1376449364"]
IMO a quitter is a quitter.....As coach used to say "Where was he (the quitter)when the sweat was running down the crack of your a&&" 
I guess there may be some circumstances that would allow a second chance? How fair is it to the TEAM if everyone gets a pass?
[/quote]

Are you talking about a kid that quits the week before two a days but wants to return for the first scrimmage (after the hardest work) or are you talking about a kid that quits after the season because he has a change of plans such as concentrating on another sport but it doesn't work out and he wants to rejoin the team the next year?

If a person simply quits because he doesn't want to work, I would not have him back on my team. Why even worry about punishment? If he quit to work hard on another sport and that doesn't work out, does it matter?

If a kid wants to be a part of a team, then he needs to be a part of the team. The rest of the team worked hard to get ready to play. There is nothing wrong with requiring the one that sat out to work hard to prove he wants to be a part of the team. No free rides. Winning is a commitment. There is nothing wrong with seeing how committed he is.

It depends on what you mean by "quit". If the kid was working hard and legitimately trying to play a different sport why is that a bad thing? The kid shouldn't be punished for legitimately trying to play a different sport. I think high school athletes should try to play as many sports as they want. It will be the last time in their lives that most of them play sports competitively. No reason to encourage a kid to only play one sport unless he has a clear future in that sport. It doesn't really matter if the kid is playing baseball, football, or whatever else as long as the kid is working hard.

Now if the kid quit intentionally to skip football workouts and slack off then that's a different story. I don't know the whole story so I can't really say what should be done.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin

• No doubt. It's definitely intriguing enough to watch how this all plays out...
    • We all know that each state has its own laws which can be very different, especially in endeavors like annexation or incorporation, so there is no telling what Louisiana law says. I don’t know but I doubt that there is a point of appeal for Baton Rouge to force St. George to be absorbed back into Baton Rouge by now giving them what they asked for years ago. “Oh, we lost? Well let’s just undo incorporation, ruled as legal by the Supreme Court (of LA)  by going back and giving them what they asked for”. There has to be a law allowing such an appeal. I think what I read about the lower court decisions which actually backed up Baton Rouge, they did not all rule that incorporation was illegal but that they did not think the city could have services up and running soon enough. So you have a court saying that sure you can split but only if we agree that you can provide services get enough. In Louisiana, who knows? I doubt that Texas has such a mechanism to allow a city to split, for example, could the west end of Beaumont say that they wish to make their own city against Beaumont’s objection? I doubt it. Certainly Beaumont could allow a city to be created as Port Arthur did with Bridge City and Taylor’s Landing. There is a huge difference in allowing and forcing which is what happened in Baton Rouge. Similar to the sometime discussed topic of Texas splitting off from the United States because they don’t like the way things are going, think if citizens in any city in the United States were allowed to create their own city, which could not be stopped by the parent city.  That could get interesting!! Don't like what is happening in the south side of Chicago? Just de-annex and create your own city!! Anyway, I thought that it is an interesting story when the capital city splits in half.   
    • Wasn't that 1st round loss last year? Also, during those previous 10 years I am pretty sure Jasper didn't go 2-58 in district play in the other 5 sports.
    • Ma'am, I don't think he said all Muslims were like that. If I'm reading this right, he's referencing the terrorist Muslims. You know, the ones who commit murder & have no regard for anyone who doesn't follow their jihadist beliefs...
    • Great playoff run, no doubt.  They did make the 3rd round(1 less) 4 of the previous 10 years, only one first round loss. 6 district championships and 4 second place.  The only 4 years Carthage was in the same district. So no, I'm not sure it does make sense.
  • Topics