I can finally talk about it.

Well it took me awhile but I can finally talk. Some of you know that I am Brock Pryors dad and it I got the shock of my life this year. Brock received several offers to play football from full rides to partials. The family was so excited as he had put in alot of work and we had taken him all over to camps,combines and visits. He decided on some schools and aalll was  good. Then [b]bam[/b] he comes to me and says dad I don't want to play football anymore. I think my heart stopped. He continued to explain that he loved playing for Nederland and Coach Neumann but he wanted to be able to walk and think when he was my age. Brock said I just want to go to college get a degree and go to work for one of the refineries. I sat and listened in disbelief. After talking to several people and talking it over and over and over with Brock, I finally accepted it. I am proud that he came to me face to face and was man enough to stand up for what he wants. He has made us proud . So it is good to be back.

There is only one person to play for when it all comes down to it and thats yourself, cant play for dad,coach, town you have to be there because you want to and congrats to you dad for backing him on it. Goodluck in the future he will be good at whatever he goes for!

[quote name="phunter308" post="1419481" timestamp="1374022408"]
Well it took me awhile but I can finally talk. Some of you know that I am Brock Pryors dad and it I got the shock of my life this year. Brock received several offers to play football from full rides to partials. The family was so excited as he had put in alot of work and we had taken him all over to camps,combines and visits. He decided on some schools and aalll was  good. Then [b]bam[/b] he comes to me and says dad I don't want to play football anymore. I think my heart stopped. He continued to explain that he loved playing for Nederland and Coach Neumann but he wanted to be able to walk and think when he was my age. Brock said I just want to go to college get a degree and go to work for one of the refineries. I sat and listened in disbelief. After talking to several people and talking it over and over and over with Brock, I finally accepted it. I am proud that he came to me face to face and was man enough to stand up for what he wants. He has made us proud . So it is good to be back.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name="Jackthehammer" post="1419563" timestamp="1374060712"]
The Refinery life isnt all that bad I can vouch for it
[/quote]

I second that!  Best decision I ever made to work at refinery!

but Jackthehammer, he did mention "work" at a refinery, Im not sure you know what it's like to "work" at a refinery!

[quote name="rykerx144" post="1419565" timestamp="1374061980"]
[quote author=Jackthehammer link=topic=112946.msg1419563#msg1419563 date=1374060712]
The Refinery life isnt all that bad I can vouch for it
[/quote]

I second that!  Best decision I ever made to work at refinery!

but Jackthehammer, he did mention "work" at a refinery, Im not sure you know what it's like to "work" at a refinery!
[/quote]
I just follow in your footsteps

[/quote]

There's something about the Fall and the start of football season.  You never know, he may get that urge to play once the season rolls around.  High Football in Texas is very demanding ...I'm sure after going through 4 years of that type of commitment, it can be a lot on any kid.  Please update us if Brock decides to go back to the grid iron.

[/quote]

This was without a doubt a very grown up decision to be made, especially by an 18 year old kid.  I think that the parents should be very proud and that they did a good job from what I can see.  Parents should always be proud of their kids, especially when it shows a reflection of the kids raising.

Having said that...  I also think that this is an absolute travesty.  I think that a big problem that I see in this part of the state is the fact that talented kids end up ''staying home''.  For whatever reason.  There is one window in a person's life when they will get this kind of opportunity.  Pass that up... and regret is what you'll get for the rest of your life.

I played 4 years of college ball and it was the greatest experience of my life to date (other than my children and my wife).  I can't even imagine what I would've felt like now had I not gone through that.  Yeah I had no life, had 3 hour practices 5 and 6 days a week, and went through absolute hell... but I have 2 championship rings, lifetime friends, and an experience that you cant buy to show for it.

4 years out of a lifetime is all you get.  Those refineries will be there whether you are 18 or 28.

[quote name="oldschool2" post="1419983" timestamp="1374176110"]
[quote author=phunter308 link=topic=112946.msg1419481#msg1419481 date=1374022408]
[/quote]

This was without a doubt a very grown up decision to be made, especially by an 18 year old kid.  I think that the parents should be very proud and that they did a good job from what I can see.  Parents should always be proud of their kids, especially when it shows a reflection of the kids raising.

Having said that...  I also think that this is an absolute travesty.  I think that a big problem that I see in this part of the state is the fact that talented kids end up ''staying home''.  For whatever reason.  There is one window in a person's life when they will get this kind of opportunity.  Pass that up... and regret is what you'll get for the rest of your life.

I played 4 years of college ball and it was the greatest experience of my life to date (other than my children and my wife).  I can't even imagine what I would've felt like now had I not gone through that.  Yeah I had no life, had 3 hour practices 5 and 6 days a week, and went through absolute hell... but I have 2 championship rings, lifetime friends, and an experience that you cant buy to show for it.

4 years out of a lifetime is all you get.  Those refineries will be there whether you are 18 or 28.
[/quote]

+1

Phunter, I don't know how I would take something like that. My oldest son and I spend about 25-30 hours a week on football related work. Devastating isn't even the word to begin to describe what I would feel like if he told me something like that after he earned a scholarship 6 years from now. I have 3 sons and probably feel you more than anybody on this board. I'm not going to offer anything that can make you feel better about that issue because there wouldn't be crap you could tell me. What I will tell you though is that my dad got a scholarship to play running back in college out of Crosby just like I did and didn't do the right things just like I didn't and got removed from the team. He has 5 brothers, all of which served in the Navy at some point so he wasn't allowed to go. He came home and ended up getting a job at a refinery which he at for 36 years. I went to college and received a degree in economics and also work at the same refinery as my Dad, different job but yet and still the same old refinery. My Grandpa also worked at the same refinery. My Grandpa retired well off after a few decades of service and my Dad retired on March 31st at 55 years old(only working the one required day after his 55the birthday) with well over 7 figures in thrift and pension, he's also one of the largest property owners in Crosby/Barrett Station. There's not many places where you can double what your engineers make and a refinery is one of them. I'm all in on the refineries and if that's what Brock wants to do then more power to him. There's not many jobs where you have a locker room atmosphere and you also get to call it like you see it if you know what I mean. The refineries are one, I just hopen one of my sons lets me get out of here before my 31 years are up.

Life happens ! your not alone  this happens to families more than most realize. My nephew play football in east-tx  and turned down a full ride to OSU. He was 6'4 240 ran a 4'6 40 played WR & fullback was an all around athlete also excelled in baseball and basketball . Believe me I tried to get him to move in with me so he could play for Dayton but Dad wouldn't sign off on it. His dad took him to all the camps every year since his youth Emit Smith in Dallas (football) Larry Brown Kansas (basketball ) ect... His future was bright and everyone was excited except him !  Quite frankly he was burnt out and was ready to do what ever instead of everybody living vicariously through him.

[quote name="jayhawk" post="1420106" timestamp="1374212105"]
Life happens ! your not alone  this happens to families more than most realize. My nephew play football in east-tx  and turned down a full ride to OSU. He was 6'4 240 ran a 4'6 40 played WR & fullback was an all around athlete also excelled in baseball and basketball . Believe me I tried to get him to move in with me so he could play for Dayton but Dad wouldn't sign off on it. His dad took him to all the camps every year since his youth Emit Smith in Dallas (football) Larry Brown Kansas (basketball ) ect... His future was bright and everyone was excited except him !  Quite frankly he was burnt out and was ready to do what ever instead of everybody living vicariously through him.
[/quote]Yes Sir live for your kids not them live for you

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin