Astros with the #1 pick in the 2013 draft.

I hope the Astros draft Kris bryant! He is an incredible home run hitter.. I dont want them to get either of the other pitchers..

He is by far the home run leader and already has 30 hr's

Draft starts June 6th

• 2 weeks later...
Draft tonight at 7.  Most mocks I've seen have the Astros drafting Jonathan Grey.  They shocked everyone with their pick last year, so you never know.

Does this positive test scare the Stros away?

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=9338983&src=desktop

[quote name="GCMPats2" post="1411360" timestamp="1370530007"]
The popsitive test will only cost Gray some bonus money.

I would rather they go with Appel from Stanford. Seems like a stand up guy and a solid pitcher to boot.
[/quote]

They passed on Appel last year and everyone has them taking Gray now.  I wonder if there is something the Astros don't like about Appel besides the fact he wanted a truckload of money last year.

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1411363" timestamp="1370530417"]
[quote author=GCMPats2 link=topic=112152.msg1411360#msg1411360 date=1370530007]

I would rather they go with Appel from Stanford. Seems like a stand up guy and a solid pitcher to boot.
[/quote]

They passed on Appel last year and everyone has them taking Gray now.  I wonder if there is something the Astros don't like about Appel besides the fact he wanted a truckload of money last year.
[/quote]

Based on the pending sale of the club at teh time, I'm betting it was the huge contract request.

From a personal standpoint, I would pass on Gray due to the failed drug test. There are enough "arms" available that are doing the right things.

[quote name="GCMPats2" post="1411379" timestamp="1370532926"]
[quote author=PhatMack19 link=topic=112152.msg1411363#msg1411363 date=1370530417]
[quote author=GCMPats2 link=topic=112152.msg1411360#msg1411360 date=1370530007]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Based on the pending sale of the club at teh time, I'm betting it was the huge contract request.

From a personal standpoint, I would pass on Gray due to the failed drug test. There are enough "arms" available that are doing the right things.
[/quote]

Last year they offered Appel $6 million,  which was over $1 million below slot. Appel turned it down and fell to the 8th pick. This year it looks that Appel may be more reasonable.  I wanted them to draft Appel last year and he has only improved this year. He his far and away the best and most polished pitcher in this draft. He is the only pitcher in this years or last years draft that projects to have 3 60+ pitches and he has great command and control.

A lot of people love the draft strategy last and even I have come around a bit (especially if we get Appel anyways), but this year draft is not very deep in talent. Last year we needed to add depth to our farm system and Luhnow has done a great job of doing that since he's got here. The farm system went from one of the worst to 9th on the preseason ranking, but we are still lacking in top of the line prospects, essentially front of the rotation type pitchers. Appel would be a great addition. If they don't draft him, I will be disappointed.

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/03/12/draft-scouting-report-mark-appel-rhp/

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin