Legacy baseball disqualified from the TAPPS playoffs

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Dan Smith" post="1402127" timestamp="1367984513"]
This is on the coaches. They should've known the rules. I wouldn't expect a player to know this rule. I feel sorry for they players.
[/quote]

People no matter what age know when they are doing wrong. Yes, the coach is to blame but the kids are not that innocent.

[quote name="jv_coach" post="1402624" timestamp="1368121580"]
[quote author=Dan Smith link=topic=111799.msg1402127#msg1402127 date=1367984513]
This is on the coaches. They should've known the rules. I wouldn't expect a player to know this rule. I feel sorry for they players.
[/quote]

People no matter what age know when they are doing wrong. Yes, the coach is to blame but the kids are not that innocent.
[/quote]

You must be on be on crack...

It has been made very clear that the rule was put in place for only two seasons, the coaches did not know and were not made aware of it by the AD.  The kids did not know, they were honest and stated clearly that they had played summer ball.  The district and the state signed off on the kids and thus, all thought eligibility was fine. In this case, many people had opportunity to raise a flag... nobody did... Therefore, all parties thought things were fine.  Again, from all that was known, there was no lying or deceit.  People who should have know, did not.  Clearly this is an unfortunate and isolated incident where the ball was dropped by all the check and balance overseers. I am sure all will know the rulebook clearly from this point forward.

You can believe this account or not...  No matter what there will those who just want to claim cheat or see more than what is true and they will believe it.  That is our society... What next name calling again?

[quote name="psalm22" post="1402653" timestamp="1368125259"]
It has been made very clear that the rule was put in place for only two seasons, the coaches did not know and were not made aware of it by the AD.  The kids did not know, they were honest and stated clearly that they had played summer ball.  The district and the state signed off on the kids and thus, all thought eligibility was fine. In this case, many people had opportunity to raise a flag... nobody did... Therefore, all parties thought things were fine.  Again, from all that was known, there was no lying or deceit.  People who should have know, did not.  Clearly this is an unfortunate and isolated incident where the ball was dropped by all the check and balance overseers. I am sure all will know the rulebook clearly from this point forward.

You can believe this account or not...  No matter what there will those who just want to claim cheat or see more than what is true and they will believe it.  That is our society... What next name calling again?
[/quote]

If the coaches didn't know that's kind of embarassing. Could you imagine if this would've happened regarding kids moving from Nederland to PNG and PNG was now eliminated from the post season. Indian nation would go crazy and the coach would have to change area codes.

I don't think anyone on this message board called anyone a cheat. Unless I missed a post. I think it was TAPPS that considered it "cheating or illegal or out of bounds or innappropriate" or whatever you want to say. Most of the posts on here are commenting on TAPPS decision. Some agree, some disagree, some are trying to place blame, and some may be trying to absolve themselves of blame.

[quote name="Kenny Powers" post="1402745" timestamp="1368149902"]
What is the uil rule on high school coaches coaching their own players in select?
[/quote]

Cannot coach their own. Can coach players who attend other schools, but not ones who attend the school he/she coaches.

Coach Fackler has coached my son and never one time encouraged him to even graze the line between right and wrong...the only thing he tried to communicate was Baseball 101, good attitude, good character, good grades, and honor the game at all times. Did Coach Fackler make a mistake by not knowing with certainty the rules...Yes...Did Coach Fackler knowingly violate the rules and put his players and the months of hard work in jeopardy...No...Being the fact that this was his first year in TAPPS: Did the AD have responsibility to verify and factulize the rules, knowing he had student Athletes moving over to Legacy to participate in the baseball program...YES YES YES...The question is not with the players it's with the process, knowledge of the rules and application of the rules by ADULTS! I understand the rules and why they are in place...and I'm sure Coach Fackler and powers to be at Legacy NOW have a pretty good idea about them as well. On a better note, wow what a season for Legacy and just think how great things will be next year!

Was this outside of summer ball?

Section 136 TAPPS Rules

[b]Summer[/b]
Coaches may coach players from the member school

Coach players from his/her school on out of season team

Organize an out of season team

FYI.....the TAPPS book is kind of vague on some things...but explains this point very well.

Anyone can go to the TAPPS.net website and view the rules. This is unfortunate for the kids.

[quote name="Sport1971!" post="1402767" timestamp="1368154066"]
Coach Fackler has coached my son and never one time encouraged him to even graze the line between right and wrong...the only thing he tried to communicate was Baseball 101, good attitude, good character, good grades, and honor the game at all times. Did Coach Fackler make a mistake by not knowing with certainty the rules...Yes...Did Coach Fackler knowingly violate the rules and put his players and the months of hard work in jeopardy...No...Being the fact that this was his first year in TAPPS: Did the AD have responsibility to verify and factulize the rules, knowing he had student Athletes moving over to Legacy to participate in the baseball program...YES YES YES...The question is not with the players it's with the process, knowledge of the rules and application of the rules by ADULTS! I understand the rules and why they are in place...and I'm sure Coach Fackler and powers to be at Legacy NOW have a pretty good idea about them as well. On a better note, wow what a season for Legacy and just think how great things will be next year!
[/quote]

Good post.  I would guess that your statements are both fair and accurate.  A couple of mistakes were made but not with bad intent.  I don't agree that Fackler should have known.  He is a coach and that is what he is hired to do and it looks like he has done and will continue to do a fantastic job with those kids.  The mistakes that were made were responsibilities higher up than at the coaching level.  They will learn from it and get better.  But great job with the success of the program and congrats to the kids. Keep your head up and keep working hard.

I interviewed the A.D. and will air his comments today. I've held the paperwork in my hand and all approvals were signed off by the district committee and also TAPPS. Nothing was hidden by Legacy, the boxes for playing summer ball for Fackler were checked YES. It was a simple mistake made by the AD missing the rule that he apologizes for but in checks and balances this should have been stopped before the end of the season. If the paperwork is checked yes in the two slots involving summer play then district should've stopped the transfer and then TAPPS. Neither did. Instead they waited until the playoffs. This could've gotten real ugly considering the papers were signed off on but Legacy chose the higher ground by not seeking legal action. The AD stated if they violated a rule no matter the paperwork being signed off on then they were in the wrong and it was his fault. They just feel bad for the kids.

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1402884" timestamp="1368202423"]
I interviewed the A.D. and will air his comments today. I've held the paperwork in my hand and all approvals were signed off by the district committee and also TAPPS. Nothing was hidden by Legacy, the boxes for playing summer ball for Fackler were checked YES. It was a simple mistake made by the AD missing the rule that he apologizes for but in checks and balances this should have been stopped before the end of the season.[b] If the paperwork is checked yes in the two slots involving summer play then district should've stopped the transfer and then TAPPS. Neither did. Instead they waited until the playoffs.[/b] This could've gotten real ugly considering the papers were signed off on but Legacy chose the higher ground by not seeking legal action. The AD stated if they violated a rule no matter the paperwork being signed off on then they were in the wrong and it was his fault. They just feel bad for the kids.
[/quote]

TAPPS can allow the transfers as long as those players play JV ball, not varsity. So in this situation, TAPPS allows the transfer but it is up to the school and the district committee to make sure those players are not playing varsity ball for 1 year upon enrollment in school. I do not see how TAPPS is in the wrong here. Obviously they were made aware of this by someone outside Legacy that they had players playing varsity ball who should not have been.

Just because the transfer papers were checked, doesn't mean they are eligible for varsity play immediately.

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1402894" timestamp="1368203622"]
Actually the approval was for varsity play. Like I said I've actually seen the paperwork.
[/quote]

That is confusing to me then. I did not know that transfer paperwork stated specifically varsity play, just thought it stated high school athletics.

Release form states

The above named student in not eligible for VARSITY (yes it's capitalized in the form) until approved by the District Executive Committee or it's representatives. The committee should review both PART A and PART B of the transfer from prior to approval. All yes answers should be reviewed prior to approval.

Form submitted by A.D. 2/7/13

Form was sent back with signature of District President (Bay Area Christian) signed on 2/12/2013

and District Vice-President (Logos Prep) signed on 3/4/13

Paper stamped and entered on 3/5/13

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    lufunom123
    Newest Member
    lufunom123