New OC at Baytown Sterling

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its bad when a player is placing an order with someone to get something from the concession stand in the 1st qtr of a game versus PAM and have fans leaving the game after PAM scores its 1st TD of the game. Hopefully the kids will be motivated this year and the fans follow suit.

I am at a loss BG.  I am not trying to take anything away from the other schools in the district with this comment but, I don't buy it that other schools have better a pool of athletes.  There are athletes in Baytown.  For whatever reason, they get to high school and start getting left behind by the likes of PAM, NS, LP, WB, etc.  The only thing I can think of would be work ethic as being the difference.

I know it is more than just having a good coach, but also the players and parents that have to make it a priority.  I heard a quote one time that said something like "the role of a coach is to get players to do what they don't want to do in order to become the player they've always dreamed of being."  I think it was Lombardi but am not sure.  We have some skill players but some think they just show up without putting in the time to train.  And how do you get the big boys out of the halls?  Maybe the moon and stars have to align just right for the right group of boys to come through that excels in spite of the poor work ethic or maybe it is finding "that" coach that is a lightning rod of change.

[quote name="ThirdDay" post="1404600" timestamp="1368562789"]
What do you mean RSS doesn't have the numbers?  They are the 3rd largest school in the district.  I guess you mean they don't have the numbers participating?
[/quote]
Come to Sterling. Walk the halls. Show me the athletes.
I am here every day. They are not here.

[quote name="ThirdDay" post="1404635" timestamp="1368567724"]
I am at a loss BG.  I am not trying to take anything away from the other schools in the district with this comment but, I don't buy it that other schools have better a pool of athletes.  [b]There are athletes in Baytown.[/b]  For whatever reason, they get to high school and start getting left behind by the likes of PAM, NS, LP, WB, etc.  The only thing I can think of would be work ethic as being the difference.

I know it is more than just having a good coach, but also the players and parents that have to make it a priority.  I heard a quote one time that said something like "the role of a coach is to get players to do what they don't want to do in order to become the player they've always dreamed of being."  I think it was Lombardi but am not sure.  We have some skill players but some think they just show up without putting in the time to train.  And how do you get the big boys out of the halls?  Maybe the moon and stars have to align just right for the right group of boys to come through that excels in spite of the poor work ethic or maybe it is finding "that" coach that is a lightning rod of change.

[/quote] you partially right (in bold). there's athletes in [b]Baytown[/b], just not alot at RSS like other schools in 21-5A at the moment. DP doesnt have an abundance of athletes but they make up for it with their coaching staff.  ;)

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1404658" timestamp="1368577633"]
[quote author=ThirdDay link=topic=111553.msg1404635#msg1404635 date=1368567724]
I am at a loss BG.  I am not trying to take anything away from the other schools in the district with this comment but, I don't buy it that other schools have better a pool of athletes.  [b]There are athletes in Baytown.[/b]  For whatever reason, they get to high school and start getting left behind by the likes of PAM, NS, LP, WB, etc.  The only thing I can think of would be work ethic as being the difference.

[/quote] you partially right (in bold). there's athletes in [b]Baytown[/b], just not alot at RSS like other schools in 21-5A at the moment. DP doesnt have an abundance of athletes but they make up for it with their coaching staff.  ;)
[/quote]
Take Deer Park HS, divide it into 3 schools. Now let's see them make up for it with their coaching.

Compare apple's to apple's.

[quote name="GCMPats2" post="1404682" timestamp="1368585119"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=111553.msg1404658#msg1404658 date=1368577633]

[/quote]
Take Deer Park HS, divide it into 3 schools. Now let's see them make up for it with their coaching.

[/quote] You missed the point, being a good coaching staff getting the most out of their players by putting them in position to compete even though they may face teams that may out-athlete them weekly.

To me there are game changers and then everyone else that competes would be classified as athletes.  The difference in a game changer and athlete compared to a regular student is that the game changer and athlete are putting in the time and effort in the offseason and regular season to get better at their position or skill set.  And a regular student may work out but is only for healthy lifestyle or to impress the girls.

The game changer and athlete are the same except the game changer has God given talents, height/weight, speed or the like that far exceed other athletes. 

Now, just because a player is on the team does not make them an athlete.  That honor comes from actually putting in the work to be a true athlete.

There are some exceptions but in general, our game changers produce like athletes and our athletes produce like students.  That is the culture that has to change.  I would love to see RSS football get back to when I was there under the likes of Coach Bundy.  Bundy, Hawthorne, Stewart and those coaches kept the guys going hard and constantly improving.

[quote name="GCMPats2" post="1404682" timestamp="1368585119"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=111553.msg1404658#msg1404658 date=1368577633]

[/quote]

[/quote]La Porte says hello. Of course, that's not really apples to apples either, is it? La Porte would be the mini apple.

[quote name="OlDawg" post="1404861" timestamp="1368645139"]
[quote author=GCMPats2 link=topic=111553.msg1404682#msg1404682 date=1368585119]

[/quote]

[/quote]La Porte says hello. Of course, that's not really apples to apples either, is it? La Porte would be the mini apple.
[/quote]lol  ;D

LP has the smallest enrollment numbers in the district yet they are a very strong team.  What are these smaller schools doing that Baytown schools are not?  Is it coaching?  And I am not talking about only coaching at the HS level but at JR level and below?

I'm not buying that there isnt enough athletes to be at least a .500 team battling for a playoff spot. There is no excuse for winning 1 game in 2 years. The personnel doesnt fit with the flexbone, I would bet my house that if Olin was the coach the last two years they would have won more than 1 game.  I'm not saying they would be NS or PAM good or could matchup athlete to athlete, but they could compete.

Regardless, why would GCCISD hire a guy whose obvious intentions from year 1 was to get his salary up for 3 years and jumpt ship? Maybe that is why we have a new super and AD.

[quote name="Kenny Powers" post="1405029" timestamp="1368672041"]
Who is the new AD?
[/quote][quote author=ThirdDay link=topic=111553.msg1402187#msg1402187 date=1368021094]
Yes it is[size=10pt][b] Coach Grimes who was the RB coach last year[/b][/size].  He has these kids excited and working their butts off.  Let's hope the hard work continues through the summer.  Sounds like they will be much more balanced offensively.  They were able to put up decent rushing yards last year.  Hopefully now that they will be passing more that they will be able to extend drives and put up some points.
[/quote]

[quote name="joebob" post="1405144" timestamp="1368720911"]
Bernard Mulvaney Jr is the new Athletic Director. Seems like from reading his bio this is his first AD job. Seems like there should have been better options but hopefully the new blood will help kick start something.
[/quote]

A good Athletic Director does not need to have been a good coach. Al Richard was a heck of an AD at GCCISD. He had NO coaching experience (which most coaches did not like).

It's about managing a department, people and a budget. So, I would not judge the new AD entirely on his coaching record.

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1406784" timestamp="1369172379"]
[quote author=joebob link=topic=111553.msg1406712#msg1406712 date=1369164227]
Another one bits the dust, hearing the DC announced today he is gone.
[/quote] RSS is in shambles
[/quote]

Yeah well I can understand no one wants to stay on a staff with a coach who is just coasting until retirement and they will be left maybe not having a job. I feel bad for the kids that will have this head coach for 3 years, he totally wasted their high school experience.

Not the DC.  It was one of the defensive coaches but not the DC.  Coach Carter moved on to Pearland Dawson.  This guy is a rising star.  The kids would run through a brick wall for this guy and then ask where the next wall is.  I have heard from many people that they would love for Coach Carter to be the next head coach at RSS.  He is the type of guy that kids WANT  to play for, they WANT to work hard.  There are just not enough good things one could say about coach Carter.

This is why I wish GCCISD would have reassigned or let Addudel go since he has stated this is his last year.  Whoever the new coach is next year will bring in a lot of his own guys.  I do not blame coaches jumping ship for a better or more stable situation.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder