New OC at Baytown Sterling

Just heard there is a new OC at Baytown Sterling.  That makes 3 new OC's in 3 years.  I heard they were getting away from exclusively running the flexbone which should get some of the kids excited again as the kids didn't buy into the last system.  Hopefully the kids buy into the new OC's system and start putting in the work during the offseason and preseason to turn things around.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't heard exactly what they will run just yet.  Whatever it is it has to have more of a chance than the flexbone.  Sterling already has a difficult time getting kids to participate in offseason work.  There were so many that didn't like the flexbone and spoke out about it that I don't think the kids were ever going to get behind it.  Hopefully the change will motivate some of the kids to get off their butts and get to work.

It could be trouble if they go to the spread.  I would guess some of the WR's have probably moved on to another sport or quit all together after running the flexbone the last couple years.  They do have several skill players that could be difference makers if they will just show up and put in the time.

[quote name="ThirdDay" post="1399094" timestamp="1367260046"]
They are also planning on competing in the 7 on 7 this year instead of just showing up for extra conditioning.  Maybe that is a sign of going spread?
[/quote]could be. A sign they're gonna pass more than in the past that's for sure.

[quote name="ThirdDay" post="1399069" timestamp="1367253887"]
[b]Just heard there is a new OC at Baytown Sterling. [/b] That makes 3 new OC's in 3 years.  I heard they were getting away from exclusively running the flexbone which should get some of the kids excited again as the kids didn't buy into the last system.  Hopefully the kids buy into the new OC's system and start putting in the work during the offseason and preseason to turn things around.
[/quote] Who is it?

[quote name="OctFeb" post="1401864" timestamp="1367940653"]
[quote author=ThirdDay link=topic=111553.msg1399069#msg1399069 date=1367253887]
[b]Just heard there is a new OC at Baytown Sterling. [/b] That makes 3 new OC's in 3 years.  I heard they were getting away from exclusively running the flexbone which should get some of the kids excited again as the kids didn't buy into the last system.  Hopefully the kids buy into the new OC's system and start putting in the work during the offseason and preseason to turn things around.
[/quote] Who is it?
[/quote]

I am pretty sure it is Coach Grimes who has been on the staff at RSS for about 3 years.

Yes it is Coach Grimes who was the RB coach last year.  He has these kids excited and working their butts off.  Let's hope the hard work continues through the summer.  Sounds like they will be much more balanced offensively.  They were able to put up decent rushing yards last year.  Hopefully now that they will be passing more that they will be able to extend drives and put up some points.

[quote name="ThirdDay" post="1402187" timestamp="1368021094"]
Yes it is Coach Grimes who was the RB coach last year.  He has these kids excited and working their butts off.  Let's hope the hard work continues through the summer.  Sounds like they will be much more balanced offensively.  They were able to put up decent rushing yards last year.  Hopefully now that they will be passing more that they will be able to extend drives and put up some points.
[/quote]

Unless Sterling improves at the QB and the O-line, it will not matter what offense they run. They have some pretty solid skill players. The flex bone is really better suited for them at the 5A level.  They just do not have the "beef" up front.

Well if the can throw it around and stay ahead of the chains they will be alright. If they can ball control and keep the other team off the field. Maybe they will have more success. Do not need big line just need to play to there streghtens.

Grimes is the OC, I assume he will call the plays because last year the OC called the plays.  We will have to see what they do in the pass game.  The last couple years they worked passing very little in practice.  With little practice and throwing 3 times a game it would be difficult for anyone to get in a rhythm.

Unless someone moves into town, I think the best they have is the kid that finished the year at QB last year.  The kid can throw but it looked like him and the receivers were not on the same page last year.  There were several times that receivers cut their route short only for the ball to go off the finger tips.  That is tough on a receiver because they just don't see enough game speed reps.

All I heard was the old OC left because his wife received a great job offer somewhere else in Texas.  I have heard nothing but good things about him and havent heard anything that would indicated there were any performance issues.  My son says he has jumped all over him and he was always respectful and never cussed him out like other coaches.

Well since the Head coach has already been telling people this is his last year and is retiring, I am sure it was impossible to get anyone else to take the lame duck OC position. Nice job GCCISD, you let yet another guy come in to beef up his salary for 3 years to retire. So much for all of that "building the program" talk from Adud, the guy is a fraud. Bring back Olin!

[quote name="Kenny Powers" post="1404003" timestamp="1368397447"]
Well since the Head coach has already been telling people this is his last year and is retiring, I am sure it was impossible to get anyone else to take the lame duck OC position. Nice job GCCISD, you let yet another guy come in to beef up his salary for 3 years to retire. So much for all of that "building the program" talk from Adud, the guy is a fraud. [b]Bring back Olin![/b]
[/quote] Crosby folks dont wanna hear that.  ;D

With only 1 win in 2 seasons, why would GCCISD let him stay for another year if he is retiring?  I have heard he is retiring also and has at least a full leg out the door.  Heard other coaches are stepping up and pushing the program forward.  Let's hope that if that is true, that he stays out of the way.

no, not saying that at all.  Excuses (like dirty butts) are easy come by.  It is hard enough to get the kids motivated.  Knowing the HC isn't going to be there is just another dirty butt excuse.  I, in know way know the answer.  But I do believe it is going to take the right coach or coach/system combination or even more accurate the right coach/system/class come together at the same time to get the culture changed.  It just seems to me that in 2 years, we went the wrong way.  If the HC is headed out, why not go ahead and start the process now?

Maybe it has to do with contract term?  I really do not know.  Hell, maybe there is just so much apathy in the community that another year is just another year.

[quote name="ThirdDay" post="1404532" timestamp="1368556543"]
no, not saying that at all.  Excuses (like dirty butts) are easy come by.  It is hard enough to get the kids motivated.  Knowing the HC isn't going to be there is just another dirty butt excuse.  I, in know way know the answer.  But I do believe it is going to take the right coach or coach/system combination or even more accurate the right coach/system/class come together at the same time to get the culture changed.  It just seems to me that in 2 years, we went the wrong way.  If the HC is headed out, why not go ahead and start the process now?

Maybe it has to do with contract term?  I really do not know.  Hell, maybe there is just so much apathy in the community that another year is just another year.
[/quote]

We just had a bond election in which 1,600 citizens of Baytown even voted (The bond passed). That's far less than 1% of the population! So, I would assume that there are even fewer Baytownians that are concerned with the RSS football program.

As a former Ranger, I want RSS football to return to where it was in the 70's and early 80's. No matter who coaches the team, I just do not see that happening any time soon. It's a numbers game in 5A. RSS just does not have the numbers.

[quote name="Kenny Powers" post="1404003" timestamp="1368397447"]
Well since the Head coach has already been telling people this is his last year and is retiring, I am sure it was impossible to get anyone else to take the lame duck OC position. Nice job GCCISD, you let yet another guy come in to beef up his salary for 3 years to retire. So much for all of that "building the program" talk from Adud, the guy is a fraud. Bring back Olin!
[/quote]

Heck, go for it all. Get Drew Tate back too.  Now, I doubt either will go to Serling for a lunch, much less to coach.  ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder