20-4a Playoff Picture- Things getting interesting!!

LCM should beat Central with a close one left against Vidor.  Lumberton will probably lose against Nederland and then a close one against Ozen.  Lumberton has to hope Vidor beats Livingston and then LCM beats Vidor otherwise they might have a playoff for 4th place.

[quote name="espn2" post="1396433" timestamp="1366475328"]
As pet district 20-4a handbook

TIE-BREAKERS
A. Head-to-head in district play will not be used as a determinant for breaking ties.
[/quote]

This is correct and one of the stupidest rules I know of. ::)

Would love to hear the reasoning behind the decision of not using head-to-head in a two way tie.

Although a head to head would be the logical way to determine a tie, not sure it means who the best team is.  When these teams played, it may be the team who lost both games had to use their better pitchers against the before and after teams.  They may actually be a better team if they played their top pitcher.  Just a theory.

Guest BigCountry66
[quote name="LCMBIGFan" post="1396568" timestamp="1366557585"]
Although a head to head would be the logical way to determine a tie, not sure it means who the best team is.  When these teams played, it may be the team who lost both games had to use their better pitchers against the before and after teams.  They may actually be a better team if they played their top pitcher.  Just a theory.
[/quote]
Not a bad theory. Also the team that lost the previous matchups might have some kids back off of IR.  So, if head to head is not used, do they play a game to break the tie or what?

TIE-BREAKERS
A. Head-to-head in district play will not be used as a determinant for breaking ties.
[/quote]

Interesting. Well that sure changes things because unless Lumberton pulls one out if the hat Tuesday (and its very possible that they could), then they are going to fall to 7-6 and will be tied with the winner of the Vidor v. Livingston game. LCM is going to win Tuesday so they will be at least guaranteed a tie for 3rd or 4th regardless of their game Friday. But since head-to-head is out, there is still a decent chance that Lumberton, Vidor, and Livingston could all be tied for 4th at 7-7 after Friday. Wonder how they would sort that out. I sure hope it wouldn't involve flipping coins, that is the worst idea ever to determine a ticket to the playoffs after a team spends an entire season to get to that point. Either way, things are looking interesting and Tuesday night is a big one for all four of these teams.

TIE-BREAKERS
[/quote]

So if head to Head isn't used... what is??? dig down deep in that 20-4A handbook and give us the lay out LOL

[quote name="utfan1982" post="1396598" timestamp="1366572949"]
[quote author=espn2 link=topic=111109.msg1396433#msg1396433 date=1366475328]

TIE-BREAKERS
[/quote]

Interesting. Well that sure changes things because unless Lumberton pulls one out if the hat Tuesday (and its very possible that they could), then they are going to fall to 7-6 and will be tied with the winner of the Vidor v. Livingston game. LCM is going to win Tuesday so they will be at least guaranteed a tie for 3rd or 4th regardless of their game Friday. But since head-to-head is out, there is still a decent chance that Lumberton, Vidor, and Livingston could all be tied for 4th at 7-7 after Friday. [b]Wonder how they would sort that out. I sure hope it wouldn't involve flipping coins, that is the worst idea ever to determine a ticket to the playoffs after a team spends an entire season to get to that point.[/b] Either way, things are looking interesting and Tuesday night is a big one for all four of these teams.
[/quote]

If there is a 3 way tie, they flip coins to determine which team gets a bye then play a 3 team single elimination tournament. 

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1396660" timestamp="1366600802"]
[quote author=utfan1982 link=topic=111109.msg1396598#msg1396598 date=1366572949]
[quote author=espn2 link=topic=111109.msg1396433#msg1396433 date=1366475328]

TIE-BREAKERS
[/quote]

Interesting. Well that sure changes things because unless Lumberton pulls one out if the hat Tuesday (and its very possible that they could), then they are going to fall to 7-6 and will be tied with the winner of the Vidor v. Livingston game. LCM is going to win Tuesday so they will be at least guaranteed a tie for 3rd or 4th regardless of their game Friday. But since head-to-head is out, there is still a decent chance that Lumberton, Vidor, and Livingston could all be tied for 4th at 7-7 after Friday. [b]Wonder how they would sort that out. I sure hope it wouldn't involve flipping coins, that is the worst idea ever to determine a ticket to the playoffs after a team spends an entire season to get to that point.[/b] Either way, things are looking interesting and Tuesday night is a big one for all four of these teams.
[/quote]

If there is a 3 way tie, they flip coins to determine which team gets a bye then play a 3 team single elimination tournament.
[/quote]

well its fixin to get real up in here ....LMAO!!

[color=red]**1.  Nederland[/color]        11-2  Central
[color=blue]*2.  PNG [/color]                  9-4    Livingston 
3.  Lumberton          8-5    Ozen         
4.  LCM                      8-5    Vidor         

5.  Vidor                    7-6    LC-M
6.  Livingston            6-7    PN-G       
7.  Ozen                  2-11    Lumberton
8.  Central                1-12    Nederland   

[size=12pt]I would think the Win Tonight would lock PN-G in .... Not sure how 2 team tie is decided... I know someone posted that a 3 way tie would be a small tourney... but would 2 team tie also be a one game playoff?

If Lumberton stumbles against Ozen and Vidor beats LC-M we could have a 3 way tie... but if Lumberton beats Ozen and Vidor Beats LC-M it would be a 2 team tie... Do they play a single game Loser go home game?[/size]

I might be wrong but I think if there is a tie for the last spot, they play 1 game to decide who goes. Seems like I remember our Pirates having to play a 1 gamer 2 years in a row to make the playoffs about 5 or 6 years ago. We sure do need a win against LCM.

[quote name="VPATH" post="1397017" timestamp="1366682065"]
I might be wrong but I think if there is a tie for the last spot, they play 1 game to decide who goes. Seems like I remember our Pirates having to play a 1 gamer 2 years in a row to make the playoffs about 5 or 6 years ago. We sure do need a win against LCM.
[/quote]

I thought that also... but wasn't sure if things had changed on 2 team ties...

**1.  Nederland        11-2  Central
*2.  PNG                      9-4    Livingston 
T3.  Lumberton          8-5      Ozen         
T3.  LCM                      8-5      Vidor         

5.  Vidor                    7-6      LC-M
[s]6.  Livingston            6-7      PN-G [/s]       
[s]7.  Ozen                    2-11      Lumberton[/s]
[s]8.  Central                1-12      Nederland [/s]

Vidor win guarantees them a play-in game with LC-M.  If Lumberton also loses there will be a 3 team playoff with the top 2 advancing.

LCM win gets them in.  Possible seeding game or coin flip with Lumberton for seeding. 

PN-G loss could mean a 3 way tie for 2nd.  They could flip coins or play for seeding.  Coaches can agree on seeding without playing, but I would think that none of them want to play Barbers Hill in the 1st round. 

Livingston was eliminated tonight

So if Lumberton Loses to Ozen, and Vidor beats LC-M ... there will be a 3 way tie for 3rd/4th...  so then they all get together flip coins evens play and Odd man awaits the winner to play for seeding.... Am I understanding this correctly?

if all three flip and evens play that means the Odd team would automatically have a play off spot... then the winner of the evens would then have to play the odd to see who gets 3rd and 4th....

Someone please let me know if I have wrapped my mind around this correctly...

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1397069" timestamp="1366696041"]
So if Lumberton Loses to Ozen, and Vidor beats LC-M ... there will be a 3 way tie for 3rd/4th...  so then they all get together flip coins evens play and Odd man awaits the winner to play for seeding.... Am I understanding this correctly?

if all three flip and evens play that means the Odd team would automatically have a play off spot... then the winner of the evens would then have to play the odd to see who gets 3rd and 4th....

Someone please let me know if I have wrapped my mind around this correctly...
[/quote]

Sounds like you nailed it. Should be a fun friday and saturday for us fans.

[quote author=LCMBIGFan link=topic=111109.msg1397076#msg1397076 date=1366717241]
So when would the seedling game be?  When do playoffs start.  I wonder if Lumberton will use their best pitcher against Ozen?
[/quote]

I'm pretty certain all of the seeding games would need to be played saturday. I think they could possilby play monday, but no one wants to play monday and then their opponent flips them for wed.

It could actually get a little more interesting if PN-G loses to Livingston and Lumberton Beats Ozen... then you will have them tied at 9-5 for 2nd/3rd and If Vidor beats LC-M they will be tied for 4th... So there could be some more decisions to be made if the first scenario plays out...

But if Ozen beats Lumberton and Vidor Beats LC-M you have a 3 way tie for 3rd/4th.... LOL You have to love 20-4A playoffs...

figuring them out is usually like trying to count a can of worms...

[b]Does anyone know what the official 2 team tiebreaker rule is? Or what the guidelines are in deciding seeding between tied teams...[/b]

I am sure Vidor/LC-M would be a 1 game playoff because no one wants to lose that to a flip of a coin....

But in the PN-G/Lumberton situation do you want to throw a pitcher another game knowing you have a playoff game coming up for sure....

And to me It doesn't matter which four go from 20-4A to play 19-4A they will all be great games.... top to bottom... neither side will get a slouch as an opponent...

[quote name="johnnyarm" post="1397209" timestamp="1366739329"]
PNG will probably pitch Ashworth on Friday against Livingston. Ledoux hopefully will be ready for the first playoff game. They also have Morse and Woods who could help Friday if needed. Do we know who Livingston will throw Friday?
[/quote]

Not sure but with 4 days rest you might see Lantrip.... I think he pitched yesterday vs Vidor but not 100% sure on that statement... I know we threw Foshee vs PN-G and Fregia Vs Livingston...

Guest BigCountry66
[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1397212" timestamp="1366739598"]
[quote author=johnnyarm link=topic=111109.msg1397209#msg1397209 date=1366739329]
PNG will probably pitch Ashworth on Friday against Livingston. Ledoux hopefully will be ready for the first playoff game. They also have Morse and Woods who could help Friday if needed. Do we know who Livingston will throw Friday?
[/quote]

Not sure but with 4 days rest you might see Lantrip.... I think he pitched yesterday vs Vidor but not 100% sure on that statement... I know we threw Foshee vs PN-G and Fregia Vs Livingston...
[/quote]

Lantrip did pitch against Vidor and he would only have 3 days rest.  Don't know how many pitches he threw last night, so not sure if 3 days rest is enough.

Regarding who Lumberton will throw against Ozen, they better throw everything they have.  Ozen beat Lumberton the last time they played.

[quote name="BigCountry66" post="1397254" timestamp="1366743777"]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=111109.msg1397212#msg1397212 date=1366739598]
[quote author=johnnyarm link=topic=111109.msg1397209#msg1397209 date=1366739329]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lantrip did pitch against Vidor and he would only have 3 days rest.  Don't know how many pitches he threw last night, so not sure if 3 days rest is enough.

Regarding who Lumberton will throw against Ozen, they better throw everything they have.  [b]Ozen beat Lumberton the last time they played.[/b]
[/quote]

With that said.... so did Nederland (Ned 10 Lum 0) and we all know how that turned out the 2nd time around.....

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1397292" timestamp="1366746721"]
[quote author=BigCountry66 link=topic=111109.msg1397254#msg1397254 date=1366743777]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=111109.msg1397212#msg1397212 date=1366739598]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Regarding who Lumberton will throw against Ozen, they better throw everything they have.  [b]Ozen beat Lumberton the last time they played.[/b]
[/quote]

With that said.... so did Nederland (Ned 10 Lum 0) and we all know
how that turned out the 2nd time arouhnd.....

[/quote]

Yep never count out my boys :)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin