WHo is the best pitcher and shortstop in the golden triangle

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1389500" timestamp="1364422548"]
What SS would I want the ball hit to with game on line in 7th?

Haven't seen any west of Winnie, so I would go with either Erickson (Lumberton) or Garcia (Silsbee) at this point.

As far as pitching, let me chew on it.
[/quote]

If the criteria is who can handle the pressure right now  with game on line, I would have to agree with Adminbaberuth.... both of these boys fit the bill. 

Pitching, with the same criteria, Guidry based on last years day in day out performances, he's your man.  Jake Lemonine(sp) definitely had the expectations riding on him, but Guidry was often called upon to finish it up and did.  Haven't seen much 4a or 5a pitching so really can't compare him to them, but I have seen him under pressure in high profile summer games and he was successful there and most know he's going to play next level.

If the criteria is based on Next Level capabilities then its a whole lot easier to be objective:  Most SS playing D1 have to be sub 7.0 runners, 80mph across infield, have hitting tools(maybe not power), fall into general physical slot 6'0" , 190#,  you get the idea.......
How many kids fit that bill...I am not sure, perfect game seems to be a pretty good collector of such info.  I do know Buna has one such kid who will graduate 2014 Jacob Kelly, and he is having some shoulder issues and has been playing other positions to help take load of his arm.  Even with the God given tools he has, he expects his best chance will be at third base at next level.  Let's face it God just makes some amazing boys with amazing talents.  Little out of the Triangle but just a little north in Hemphill is one such boy....Justin Twine.

Pitchers, I think we are just going to have to wait a couple of years for more of  these boys to grow and mature to see what God has in store for them and us.  Ashworth, Anderson, Shugart, Franklin, Cleveland, Marshall, Edelmon, and list goes on and on ......  super signs of greatest to come ..... but only seen on the field from time to time.

I wish more time was spent praising an awesome play, a timely hit, great pitching outing, clever coaching, just more positive input here, where it is obviously read and eventually gets to all the boys.  I am not saying give them false praise, but I sure would like to see more building up than breaking them down.  Don't get me wrong, I believe in criticism, in fact my son might even say that's all I believe in, but the truth is I believe him and all our children, we all have a lot riding on them to be successful in life, and if a sport like baseball can help train them for the future...then I say "playball"

Sorry everyone for causing so much arguments just by saying Proctor was committed to Rice. I was just saying what I had been told and read on his Perfect Game profile. I do not know much about how baseball recruiting works. I'm more of a football and basketball guy. I knew baseball was different just didn't know how different.

That being said I still don't find it hard to believe that Proctor will get a pretty decent scholarship at Rice. He throws 82 across the field according to Perfect Game, he has a good athletic build at around 6 feet tall, he has great fielding mechanics, and good hitting to. Not to mention he is a great student I've been told and it is even noted on his PG profile that he is a "very good student". Also it probably helps that his step brother Anthony Fazio just pitched for Rice a couple years back so there is a family connection.

this topic is like a bigfoot sighting, you dont believe it until you see it.

hate to bust everyone's bubble, but full rides [b]do [/b]exist.

only the elite of elite get them. 

in fact it is possible to get more than 100% of your school paid for. 

'we will throw in some more money to pay for your cable bill and phone bill,' /s/ Local Div 1 Head Baseball Coach.

[quote name="fisherman2" post="1390471" timestamp="1364825814"]
Sorry everyone for causing so much arguments just by saying Proctor was committed to Rice. I was just saying what I had been told and read on his Perfect Game profile. I do not know much about how baseball recruiting works. I'm more of a football and basketball guy. I knew baseball was different just didn't know how different.

That being said I still don't find it hard to believe that Proctor will get a pretty decent scholarship at Rice. He throws 82 across the field according to Perfect Game, he has a good athletic build at around 6 feet tall, he has great fielding mechanics, and good hitting to. Not to mention he is a great student I've been told and it is even noted on his PG profile that he is a "very good student". Also it probably helps that his step brother Anthony Fazio just pitched for Rice a couple years back so there is a family connection.
[/quote]

That's great to hear about a local kid.....hopefully I will get to see him play and get to enjoy his talents!!

[quote name="fisherman2" post="1390471" timestamp="1364825814"] Also it probably helps that his step brother Anthony Fazio just pitched for Rice a couple years back so there is a family connection.
[/quote]I played with Anthony's dad Sam, so it goes a little deeper, Sam was a great player also....

[quote name="Sportsfan1968" post="1390459" timestamp="1364824281"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=110611.msg1389500#msg1389500 date=1364422548]
What SS would I want the ball hit to with game on line in 7th?

Haven't seen any west of Winnie, so I would go with either Erickson (Lumberton) or Garcia (Silsbee) at this point.

As far as pitching, let me chew on it.
[/quote]
DITTO...well said!

If the criteria is who can handle the pressure right now  with game on line, I would have to agree with Adminbaberuth.... both of these boys fit the bill. 

Pitching, with the same criteria, Guidry based on last years day in day out performances, he's your man.  Jake Lemonine(sp) definitely had the expectations riding on him, but Guidry was often called upon to finish it up and did.  Haven't seen much 4a or 5a pitching so really can't compare him to them, but I have seen him under pressure in high profile summer games and he was successful there and most know he's going to play next level.

If the criteria is based on Next Level capabilities then its a whole lot easier to be objective:  Most SS playing D1 have to be sub 7.0 runners, 80mph across infield, have hitting tools(maybe not power), fall into general physical slot 6'0" , 190#,  you get the idea.......
How many kids fit that bill...I am not sure, perfect game seems to be a pretty good collector of such info.  I do know Buna has one such kid who will graduate 2014 Jacob Kelly, and he is having some shoulder issues and has been playing other positions to help take load of his arm.  Even with the God given tools he has, he expects his best chance will be at third base at next level.  Let's face it God just makes some amazing boys with amazing talents.  Little out of the Triangle but just a little north in Hemphill is one such boy....Justin Twine.

Pitchers, I think we are just going to have to wait a couple of years for more of  these boys to grow and mature to see what God has in store for them and us.  Ashworth, Anderson, Shugart, Franklin, Cleveland, Marshall, Edelmon, and list goes on and on ......  super signs of greatest to come ..... but only seen on the field from time to time.

I wish more time was spent praising an awesome play, a timely hit, great pitching outing, clever coaching, just more positive input here, where it is obviously read and eventually gets to all the boys.  I am not saying give them false praise, but I sure would like to see more building up than breaking them down.  Don't get me wrong, I believe in criticism, in fact my son might even say that's all I believe in, but the truth is I believe him and all our children, we all have a lot riding on them to be successful in life, and if a sport like baseball can help train them for the future...then I say "playball"
[/quote]

[quote name="techsan17" post="1390475" timestamp="1364826825"]
this topic is like a bigfoot sighting, you dont believe it until you see it.

hate to bust everyone's bubble, but full rides [b]do [/b]exist.

only the elite of elite get them. 

in fact it is possible to get more than 100% of your school paid for. 

'we will throw in some more money to pay for your cable bill and phone bill,' /s/ Local Div 1 Head Baseball Coach.
[/quote]
This can't be true. I know first rounders, and ex college roommates that didn't get full rides.

Ford Proctor IS verbally committed to Rice. The offer is 60% tuition and he accepted that offer this January after an official visit.  Rice does not offer room and board, so there is no full ride per se. His brother, Anthony Fazio received 100% tuition. Rice only offers 100% tuition to weekend starting pitchers. 

First off I ask a question. Secondly I could care less if Jeff had a full ride. I know your son and heard how great of a ball player he was. My point with this whole thing was full baseball scholarships are very rare and everyone on here says they got one or their she has recieved one. I was told by someone today that is in the know that schools are finding ways to give full rides but they are rare still. Sorry to doubt the Moye's.

Never said you were an idiot. What I am saying is That is the way schools get around the 11.2 scholarships you got what you wanted from Lamar which would have been play college baseball and get an education for free. Lamar got what they wanted too a 90 plus arm and only had to pay for your school. Which is say 50 or 75 percent. Which in return some other kid probably got 75 percent instead of 25 percent. This happens all the time in Louisiana because the state pays for kids in a certain percentage to go to school so the more kids like that they can get the bigger scholarships they can give out of state kids.

So Rounder you must have played with Kade then at Seminole in 99 correct? Juco player of the year btw that year.

As for Ford, he is a great player and I look for big things for him in the future. Interesting today that another 2015 SS also committed to Rice, Tristan Gray for Elkins. His brother played at Rice in 99-00 so appears the Owls are tapping the bloodlines which seems to hold some quality talent.

[quote name="Kenny Powers" post="1390662" timestamp="1364871414"]
So Rounder you must have played with Kade then at Seminole in 99 correct? Juco player of the year btw that year.

As for Ford, he is a great player and I look for big things for him in the future. Interesting today that another 2015 SS also committed to Rice, Tristan Gray for Elkins. His brother played at Rice in 99-00 so appears the Owls are tapping the bloodlines which seems to hold some quality talent.
[/quote]

Yes I played with that goofball.  He was a very good ballplayer.  He hit 38 homeruns that year, and as a team we hit 187.  Every starter on that team either played d1 or pro ball after there, and 5 of the pitchers played pro ball.  I believe we finished 56-6 that year, with two of those losses at the world series.  How do you know Kade?

[quote name="Franchiseball" post="1390639" timestamp="1364866705"]
Never said you were an idiot. What I am saying is That is the way schools get around the 11.2 scholarships you got what you wanted from Lamar which would have been play college baseball and get an education for free. Lamar got what they wanted too a 90 plus arm and only had to pay for your school. Which is say 50 or 75 percent. Which in return some other kid probably got 75 percent instead of 25 percent. This happens all the time in Louisiana because the state pays for kids in a certain percentage to go to school so the more kids like that they can get the bigger scholarships they can give out of state kids.
[/quote]

If books, fees, and tuition is 50%, then that's some expensive room and board.

[quote name="rounder17" post="1390672" timestamp="1364873544"]
[quote author=Franchiseball link=topic=110611.msg1390639#msg1390639 date=1364866705]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well my freshmen year at McNeese my out of state fee was waived and my room and board was double my tuition and at Tarleton they were about the same.

[quote name="Franchiseball" post="1390676" timestamp="1364874426"]
[quote author=rounder17 link=topic=110611.msg1390672#msg1390672 date=1364873544]
[quote author=Franchiseball link=topic=110611.msg1390639#msg1390639 date=1364866705]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well my freshmen year at McNeese my out of state fee was waived and my room and board was double my tuition and at Tarleton they were about the same.
[/quote]

Dang I didn't realize room and board was so much.

If Houston is considered the area, St. Pius is playing at Kelly tonight at 6.  Kohl Stewart, A&M quarterback signee, is pitching for Pius.  As of this morning, he is projected to be the number 8 pick in the next major league draft.  I've heard some have him as a top 5 pick.  Reportedly, his fastball was clocked at 99 mph in a bullpen workout for scouts last week. We have been told he is pitching tonight and there will be a lot of major league scouts in attendence.  Come check him out if you got nothing else going on.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder