Santa Fe @ PN-G Homecoming: Indians vs Indians

NDNation

23 hours ago, PNGNDN1990 said:

Sometimes it is who contributes to the Booster club! Money talks and not always the best kids play and we are seeing that on our defense and it is is sad for the kids that should have a spot! Year after year we have some kids that have sat the bench that could make a difference on our defense! You would think they would want the best kids out on the field! Why do you have a team like last year that they slaughtered Nederland every year since they were in 7h grade they get to their senior year and loose! It was a shocker! The reason is some of the starters from the time they were in 7th grade were sitting the bench!

First two sentences 

Don't sleep on Santa Fe.. I did, and boy was I wrong. Sitting there like Rocky in his first match with Clubber Lang. Come out swinging, next thing you know you're knocked out and your trainer dies. (2nd part didn't happen in the Vidor game though)

But seriously. Santa Fe was impressive. The offensive playcalling was well executed. Their receivers don't drop a lot of passes. QB can sling it, or run. and their defense is speedy and decent sized.

Shug has a clutch ability, so you never want to rule out the purple Indians.

I'll pick PNG...just because they play Cherokee louder than Santa Fe does.

If we all have a personal hell awaiting us...I think a glimpse of mine would be in PNG's stadium this Friday. 3 hours of a continuous Cherokee loop. Better change my ways.

14 minutes ago, png9mon said:

I am pretty sure that Santa Fe Fight song is the PNG school song played fast. Not Cherokee.

I heard Cherokee when they played Vidor. I was sitting on the visitor side.. I don't think they play it with every 3 yard gain (exaggeration, don't hit me) like PNG, but they most definitely did play Cherokee.

Just now, TenaciousK said:

I heard Cherokee when they played Vidor. I was sitting on the visitor side.. I don't think they play it with every 3 yard gain (exaggeration, don't hit me) like PNG, but they most definitely did play Cherokee.

Cool. It has been a while since I saw Santa Fe play.  Not the first, nor the last time I will make a mistake.

11 minutes ago, TenaciousK said:

yeah they played it when they were at Nederland, a little different version.  Luckily they didn't get to play it very often.  :)

4 minutes ago, png9mon said:

Cool. It has been a while since I saw Santa Fe play.  Not the first, nor the last time I will make a mistake.

They don't play near as much. But I am positive it was Cherokee, and not the "other song that sounds like it" ..like Florida State's song that people always think is Cherokee. It's all good! I'll make a mistake today, I promise.

5 minutes ago, TenaciousK said:

They don't play near as much. But I am positive it was Cherokee, and not the "other song that sounds like it" ..like Florida State's song that people always think is Cherokee. It's all good! I'll make a mistake today, I promise.

The have a different version of Cherokee.

9 minutes ago, NDNation said:

The have a different version of Cherokee.

Splitting hairs on that call. To a Vidorian's ear, I couldn't tell it THAT far apart. But to you folks across the pond, that enter the world with it playing in the nursery..I'll take your word for it.  Cherokee, Cherokee Lite, whatever you want to call it...it's Cherokee to me. Forgive my stubbornness, I just don't like being wrong. Probably get that from my paternal grandmother..who is from Port Neches. :)

1 hour ago, TenaciousK said:

Florida State's fight song is the War Chant. They have a longer version called "Seminole Fury" or something like that, and PN-G has an adapted version called "Geronimo's Fury" which is played every now and then.

Don't call me a heretic, but there are certain things I wouldn't mind seeing PN-G pick up from Florida State. We play short Cherokee (only the intro) after every first down, every touchdown, and every big play on defense. We play long Cherokee at the end of every quarter and twice at the end of the game, at halftime, after every PAT and after every field goal. That's similar to the War Chant in that Florida State plays it after every big play, too.

But we have a habit of dragging out War Chant when we're mad about something, especially when we're mad at the other band for something (i.e., LC-M playing the messed up version of Cherokee). And when we play it, we play it kind of slow to signify the anger. Maybe I've just gotten used to hearing it the way the Seminoles play it after living in Tallahassee for a summer, but that doesn't sound right to me, and I don't think the fans get into it the way they do at Doak Campbell. Florida State plays it faster, and it sounds like it has more attitude and intonation to it when they do. I wouldn't mind seeing PN-G pick up some of that attitude.

I've never actually heard the Florida State band play the long version of the War Chant in the stadium. I've only heard recordings they've made in their band hall. I suspect PN-G plays it more in the stands than Florida State does, and having played it myself as an Indian Band member, I understand why. It's a very long song, and by the time you get through it all, the moment for it has passed. I remember having to stop it to play Cherokee a few times in high school. And probably my most vivid memory of that song is the fight with Central breaking out in the middle of it my sophomore year. When I was in school, several members of the band felt it was cursed; it seemed like something bad happened every time we played it. I don't know if that's still the feeling or not.

31 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Florida State's fight song is the War Chant. They have a longer version called "Seminole Fury" or something like that, and PN-G has an adapted version called "Geronimo's Fury" which is played every now and then.

Don't call me a heretic, but there are certain things I wouldn't mind seeing PN-G pick up from Florida State. We play short Cherokee (only the intro) after every first down, every touchdown, and every big play on defense. We play long Cherokee at the end of every quarter and twice at the end of the game, at halftime, after every PAT and after every field goal. That's similar to the War Chant in that Florida State plays it after every big play, too.

But we have a habit of dragging out War Chant when we're mad about something, especially when we're mad at the other band for something (i.e., LC-M playing the messed up version of Cherokee). And when we play it, we play it kind of slow to signify the anger. Maybe I've just gotten used to hearing it the way the Seminoles play it after living in Tallahassee for a summer, but that doesn't sound right to me, and I don't think the fans get into it the way they do at Doak Campbell. Florida State plays it faster, and it sounds like it has more attitude and intonation to it when they do. I wouldn't mind seeing PN-G pick up some of that attitude.

I've never actually heard the Florida State band play the long version of the War Chant in the stadium. I've only heard recordings they've made in their band hall. I suspect PN-G plays it more in the stands than Florida State does, and having played it myself as an Indian Band member, I understand why. It's a very long song, and by the time you get through it all, the moment for it has passed. I remember having to stop it to play Cherokee a few times in high school. And probably my most vivid memory of that song is the fight with Central breaking out in the middle of it my sophomore year. When I was in school, several members of the band felt it was cursed; it seemed like something bad happened every time we played it. I don't know if that's still the feeling or not.

I know you specifically asked not to be called a heretic, but I must... You heretic. :)

4 hours ago, TenaciousK said:

We only play it every 4 yard game or more

1 hour ago, JimmyCrackCorn said:

I think PN-G should focus on getting an attitude on defense rather than the fightsong - just my perception though.  Fight songs don’t stop the other team from scoring unfortunately, if so they’d be undefeated. 

You are so right. The band playing Cherokee is causing us to play terrible defense. Emailing the band director now. 

1 hour ago, JimmyCrackCorn said:

I think PN-G should focus on getting an attitude on defense rather than the fightsong - just my perception though.  Fight songs don’t stop the other team from scoring unfortunately, if so they’d be undefeated. 

I believe you are correct.  In fact our defense doesn't stop other teams from scoring, any more than our fight song does. However, I am sure that if a band member played his instrument poorly, the band director would be give another musician a chance to play.  Maybe our defensive coordinator could try something like that. Hint...Hint!

14 hours ago, JimmyCrackCorn said:

I'm pretty sure its just us fans on here talking about the fight song. I doubt the players are focusing on it..lol

And all we can do is run our mouths, nothing we can do about the defense.