PNG Defense Needs Help

PNGNDN1990

6 minutes ago, Broncos2447 said:

Png has always put their studs on the offensive side of the ball as long as I can remember. It's just their philosophy and because of it, their defense will always struggle somewhat. 

Disagree with this somewhat. Go back to 2009 really good defense. Go back to PNG's run back in the 1970's really good defense. The defensive struggle for PNG has been in recent years starting from 2010 on.

26 minutes ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

Disagree with this somewhat. Go back to 2009 really good defense. Go back to PNG's run back in the 1970's really good defense. The defensive struggle for PNG has been in recent years starting from 2010 on.

26 minutes ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

They could have been good in those years, but if you look at the roster, they more than likely still had "studs" on the offensive side of the ball. 

Could the PN-G defense be better, sure, but this is the case with most defenses in today’s era off high powered offenses. I for one appreciate good defense, I was a defensive guy myself. But I tend to be more of a Win/Loss guy…and PN-G wins at a pretty high percentage. They also regularly make the playoffs and move on into the later rounds. Plenty of other teams cannot say that. Giving up a few more points to me is not an overly big deal if you are Winning. If PN-G was having 6-4 or 5-5 records every year, I too would be complaining about the defense giving up points. But that is FAR from the case. There are actually PN-G fans that would rather give up 15 points a game, go 6-4 on the year, and say, “Well, the defense played good, we tackled good, and our DB’s were good in coverage”, I’m OK with this year...rather than go 11-2 or 10-3 into the playoffs and maybe give up a few more points per game. Me, I’ll take giving up a few more points here and there to continue to Win football games. To me, Winning is the bottom line!

Maybe I'm wrong.

"You PLAY to WIN the GAME"—Herm Edwards

Yes, Coach Faircloth puts an emphasis on offense.  It's no surprise.  His background includes stops at Odessa Permian, Highland Park, and Austin Westlake as an offensive coordinator, QB coach, run game coordinator, passing game coordinator, etc.

Not true that the PN-G defense is just thrown together.   Depending upon the talent pool, which isn't overflowing in Port Neches and Groves, he identifies leaders and tries to build around them, e.g., Rembert, LeJeune, Anniboli, Bost, and LeBoeuf.  Those kids were not/are not "just thrown together with the players left after the offense is stacked." 

The Indians have some young talent on defense.  A few SOPHs that should develop into a strong unit this year and over the next two years.  We bend and try not to break on defense.  Keep everything in front of you, don't get beat deep on the big play, and put as many people around the ball as possible.  That's the philosophy of Coach Faircloth on defense.  Each kid is taught to do his job and get to the football.  We've given up some yards, but we've made some stops.  We're only giving up, on average, ~20 points/game, which isn't too bad.  PAM gave up 44 points last week and they have what most experts/posters on this board have called a "legit" defense or "one of the best they've seen."  PN-G has some talent on defense.  Bost, LeBoeuf, Ayala, and Hammonds.  The tall, lanky SOPH #90 and some of the DBs should keep developing.  Each Friday night under the bright lights is an opportunity for them to get better.  They aren't too bad for a group "just thrown together."

Do any of you ever go to PN-G Booster Club meetings or do you ever speak with Coach Faircloth or Coach Templin?  They might not have meetings this year because of the compressed scheduled, but I'm asking about the past, too.  Several people post on this message board pretending to know what they're talking about, but do you ever speak to the men coaching the Indians?

Go Indians.  Peace.

13 minutes ago, 1989NDN said:

Yes, Coach Faircloth puts an emphasis on offense.  It's no surprise.  His background includes stops at Odessa Permian, Highland Park, and Austin Westlake as an offensive coordinator, QB coach, run game coordinator, passing game coordinator, etc.

Not true that the PN-G defense is just thrown together.   Depending upon the talent pool, which isn't overflowing in Port Neches and Groves, he identifies leaders and tries to build around them, e.g., Rembert, LeJeune, Anniboli, Bost, and LeBoeuf.  Those kids were not/are not "just thrown together with the players left after the offense is stacked." 

The Indians have some young talent on defense.  A few SOPHs that should develop into a strong unit this year and over the next two years.  We bend and try not to break on defense.  Keep everything in front of you, don't get beat deep on the big play, and put as many people around the ball as possible.  That's the philosophy of Coach Faircloth on defense.  Each kid is taught to do his job and get to the football.  We've given up some yards, but we've made some stops.  We're only giving up, on average, ~20 points/game, which isn't too bad.  PAM gave up 44 points last week and they have what most experts/posters on this board have called a "legit" defense or "one of the best they've seen."  PN-G has some talent on defense.  Bost, LeBoeuf, Ayala, and Hammonds.  The tall, lanky SOPH #90 and some of the DBs should keep developing.  Each Friday night under the bright lights is an opportunity for them to get better.  They aren't too bad for a group "just thrown together."

Do any of you ever go to PN-G Booster Club meetings or do you ever speak with Coach Faircloth or Coach Templin?  They might not have meetings this year because of the compressed scheduled, but I'm asking about the past, too.  Several people post on this message board pretending to know what they're talking about, but do you ever speak to the men coaching the Indians?

Go Indians.  Peace.

Yes, I can think of a few years the best athlete on the team was on defense. How about D.J. Schexnider to start. He was hands down the best athlete on the team.

13 hours ago, NDNation said:

PAM was not prepared for an onside kick or trick plays. Y'all struggled.

I will agree with this!  Having a kicker recover is own onside kick, well, that's unforgivable on PAM's part.  Another thing, PN-G had 4th and 14 and the DB let a receiver get behind him for either a first down or TD.  I can't remember which.  Should never have happened.  There are a lot of coaching concerns over there. 

2 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

It won’t struggle with the dogs trust that I know it’s early but I have to throw that in there smack attack # trophy stays at Rez again..... lol

I think the kids on defense this are very talented. Lebeouf, Hammond, Sergio, Bost all have tremendous talent. Practice makes perfect in my opinion. We may need to practice more of the fundamentals of tackling like wrapping up and holding on. Arm tackling on the likes of Hines will not cut it. Heck our boys are in the back field most of the game, it is just that the backs we have faced are very squirrelly, to their credit, and you have to wrap up and hold on and get some help. I think we will get better and better, but come playoffs we have to be focused. You can only win so long by out scoring your opponent. Eventually defense comes in to play and that one stop in the backfield can mean the difference in the outcome.

5 hours ago, The Icon said:

And pick up a few of their Division 1 studs and bring them back?

Gary Joseph is a very good coach, his record speaks for itself. But having top flight players also helps, plus everyone in the GHA wanting to move to your school because of the quality school district and football program.

Curious about this.  Katy has a lot of schools.  Is this the only Katy school that always gets the studs?  Or is it something else?

1 hour ago, biaplayer said:

our defense is down because we have a pro offensive coach who puts the studs on offense and uses the law of supply and demand for the defense. Basically the defense is just thrown together with the players left after the offense is stacked.

Faircloth has to know that defense wins championships.  At least I hope he does!

10 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Faircloth has to know that defense wins championships.  At least I hope he does!

I think the fear of getting kids hurt keeps them from practicing the fundamentals of tackling. I understand that fear, but with PNG we've always had to hit harder and gang tackle because of our relative size and speed. It has served us well. If I am not mistaken I think WOS stills does extensive tackling drills in practice. Correct me if I am wrong WOS fans....

8 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Curious about this.  Katy has a lot of schools.  Is this the only Katy school that always gets the studs.  Or is it something else?

Highland Park was so physically outmanned by Temple in the title game it wasn't even funny. Yet with a bunch of coached up really good high school players they held the high flying Temple team to 7pts and won another state title. Getting back to GJ. Seen several Katy NS matchups and I can't think of one time Katy had the more talented team but almost always won that game. Give me coaching and program  with some great high school players and I will show you a ton of W's. Now throw in a couple D1 recruits in that mix and it gets even better.

7 minutes ago, FrodoNDN said:

I think the fear of getting kids hurt keeps them from practicing the fundamentals of tackling. I understand that fear, but with PNG we've always had to hit harder and gang tackle because of our relative size and speed. It has served us well. If I am not mistaken I think WOS stills does extensive tackling drills in practice. Correct me if I am wrong WOS fans....

I know the first part of your comment to be a fact first hand.

WOS has the talent AND they practice so their Defense is legit year in and out. PNG don't have the talent luxury AND dont practice which is probably why they are know more consistently for individual studs like Lejeune as opposed to overall good defense. But it is what it is, the coaches have set things and we just get to watch

59 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Curious about this.  Katy has a lot of schools.  Is this the only Katy school that always gets the studs?  Or is it something else?

Not necessarily, Cinco Ranch on the south side of town has fielded some good teams. It's fairly common knowledge in the GHA that people moved to Katy for their kids to play for Katy High School. Some of the people who moved their for that very reason about had a riot at a school board meeting when the new lines were drawn and kids who were going to go to Katy High were then going to have to go to the new Paewtow High. Anyway, it's Houston, everyone has good players. Just the statement of Katy having "hard working kids, and hardly any D1 talent" was what what I was initially responding to. 

3 minutes ago, Aces_Full said:

How does WO-S run their studs both ways running the Spread, but PN-G is not able/want to?  Difference in philosophy?  Or practice plan?  Just curious.  

I can't answer for no one else but the one I know about, but I know for a fact that Shugs days of 2 way playing ended in 8th grade. Used to play safety and crack helmets as a younger kid. Dad would probably walk on the field today and take Shug off honestly. Might think about it differently if he wasn't a highly regarded QB. If PNG wants defense they will have to develop it.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:34 PM, PNGNDN1990 said:

who agrees that our defense coaches need to get their head out of the sand and move some kids around. our secondary is weak and if we continue with what we have on defense in playoffs its going to kill us. why wont they play some of the seniors or play hughes stansbury etc both ways. we are very strong offensively but defense is gonna kill us. we have a few strong kids on defense but not enough to get us deep in playoffs. Wont be able to do it by offense alone. 

Maybe you should give Coach Faircloth a call and tell him a few of the ideas that you have for ways to improve his defense. I'm certain he will listen to you; I mean heck he may even want to hire you. 

On 10/16/2017 at 11:34 PM, PNGNDN1990 said:

who agrees that our defense coaches need to get their head out of the sand and move some kids around. our secondary is weak and if we continue with what we have on defense in playoffs its going to kill us. why wont they play some of the seniors or play hughes stansbury etc both ways. we are very strong offensively but defense is gonna kill us. we have a few strong kids on defense but not enough to get us deep in playoffs. Wont be able to do it by offense alone. 

Maybe the kids aren't as good as you think they are.  Or maybe the defense is doing good enough...I'm pretty sure 5-0 would be fine for anybody up to this point of the season.

10 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

Maybe you should give Coach Faircloth a call and tell him a few of the ideas that you have for ways to improve his defense. I'm certain he will listen to you; I mean heck he may even want to hire you. 

I'm sure the Coaches have been reading, and making notes and adjustments throughout the week. I expect a much better Indian defense this coming week.