Source for HS Sports Officials ?

Hagar

Such an elective would only produce a lot of rent a refs.

The only way to have any sort of retention is to ensure the safety of the officials.  The UIL blew it big when they did not come down harsher on the players that performed the "Code Red" on the official in the Valley.

23 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Such an elective would only produce a lot of rent a refs.

The only way to have any sort of retention is to ensure the safety of the officials.  The UIL blew it big when they did not come down harsher on the players that performed the "Code Red" on the official in the Valley.

Most officials leave because of internal politics. Very few leave because of coaches, players or fans.

1 hour ago, deuces said:

Most officials leave because of internal politics. Very few leave because of coaches, players or fans.

That depends on the chapter and sport.  Fans/coaches make a big difference in basketball.  Internal politics causes more officials to move chapters than to leave officiating from my experience in that sport.  In football they are shielded more from the fans but most that I've seen leave in that sport have been to just getting tired of the grind.  As the need for more officials grows faster than the supply, many are being asked to work more nights than they would like and that wears you down.  Politics can be tough when some feel they always get slighted from the big games or playoffs.

On June 28, 2017 at 0:07 PM, BH85 said:

That depends on the chapter and sport.  Fans/coaches make a big difference in basketball.  Internal politics causes more officials to move chapters than to leave officiating from my experience in that sport.  In football they are shielded more from the fans but most that I've seen leave in that sport have been to just getting tired of the grind.  As the need for more officials grows faster than the supply, many are being asked to work more nights than they would like and that wears you down.  Politics can be tough when some feel they always get slighted from the big games or playoffs.

I'd think that if those students were able to Ref, they could do Jr Hi & perhaps small schools JV, and relieve the grind.  Also, it's probable that some may get interested, and continue to participate after graduation.  The politics part is inevitable.  From T-Ball to Senior Clubs.  From Church clubs to beer drinking clubs.  Get 3 people together, one will be politicking.  It's a human flaw.

Back before the war..;-).... when I was at Lamar there was an elective class in officiating. Coach John Payton taught it and did an excellent job. The students choosing to pursue it were able to begin refereeing sub-varsity games.  Several moved up in a year or two.  Some good referees came out of this while some others tried it and chose not to continue, they learned new respect for the job.  A good idea to try again maybe.