High School Baseball

I'm curious as to why, maybe someone can tell me, certain coaches play kids that aren't as talented as the kids they have sitting on the bench. I would understand if the kids are causing trouble or have bad attitudes, but the ones I see on the bench are probably the kids with the best attitude on the entire team. I really don't understand this and for several years now it continues to happen.

[quote name="lcmbaseball1995" post="1378750" timestamp="1361665486"]
I'm curious as to why, maybe someone can tell me, certain coaches play kids that aren't as talented as the kids they have sitting on the bench. I would understand if the kids are causing trouble or have bad attitudes, but the ones I see on the bench are probably the kids with the best attitude on the entire team. I really don't understand this and for several years now it continues to happen.
[/quote]
Some times Daddy's call. Not always but sometimes. Some coaches will play the best hitters if they can field or not, some others will play the best overall player. It all matters on the coach.

[/quote]
Depends on the program and success of coach. Lets give LCM for instance. Can't deny the success of that program nor doubt the decisions of Griff. He's closing in on 500 wins in 20 seasons and has made playoffs almost every given year he has coached there. That program speaks for itself. Can't  doubt success.

[/quote]

I've been around baseball a long time and I have yet to see a hs varsity coach or higher refuse to play the most talented kids. You have to remember that the coach is the only one that sees these kids practice every day and he makes his decision based on what he sees in ppractice.  The coach wants to win, his job depends on it so he is going to play the most talented kids. You, for whatever reason may just have a different opinion than the coach on who the best players are. It is also possible that you're school just has a bad coach that can't recognize talent.  There are other possibilities as well such as grades, attitudes, experience,  and a number of other things that only the coach will know.

[quote name="Go4BB1194" post="1378800" timestamp="1361669925"]
A lot of times at that school the money talks, better than the better players, that's the it s been at that school for a long time.
[/quote]

This statement is funny to me.  Your accusation that starters at any school are chosen based on "money" is outright slanderous.  Are you saying for the past 20 seasons the consistent success of the LCM baseball program is because Coach Griff has chosen players whose parents have money over players with more talent?  Sounds like sour grapes to me.  Everyone has to have an excuse for why their kid didn't make the cut or isn't starting on the varsity or whatever level their mommy and daddy think they should-but you really should think twice before slamming a coach, especially on a public forum.  Bottom line is, LCM is a 4A school.  It's tough to be a starter in a successful program, even if a kid has been a starter most of his life.  This isn't league ball where there are as many teams formed as needed to allow all the kids that signed up and paid for a spot to play.  It's a tough pill to swallow for parents and kids once they get to high school athletics, regardless of the sport.

I have the utmost respect for Coach Griff and the baseball program at LCM.  I have watched the baseball program at LCM for over 10 years.  My son played for Coach Griff and would not trade it for anything.  As a parent did I agree with all the decisions that he made regarding who was playing no, I respected the decisions that he made.  Coach Griff must be doing something right, look at his record.  You don't have to agree with his decisions but as a parent you should respect the decisions that he makes and stand behind him.

Did I feel that my son should have played every game  and be a starter absolutely, but he wasn't.  I respected my son's feeling and did not interfere with Griff's decisions.  As a parent it is hard to understand all the decisions that a coach makes but as a parent you should respect your son's feelings.

Encourage your son to go talk to Griff and see what he could do to get more playing time and respect the decisions that the coaches make. 

Wishing the LCM Bears a great baseball season.

I can't believe I am the first one to say this, but -

Maybe your son (or whoever you are referencing in your post) isn't as good a player as you think he is?  Seriously, what possible benefit would any coach get out of not playing, what he believes to be, the best players?

The other scenario:
If a player is in LCM's program then he is probably a pretty good player.  Some are better than others and some play roles that the coach feels like he needs filled.  If there are what you feel are "better" players on the bench, then perhaps that is why.  If you have two pretty talented guys playing the same position, the odd man out may be better overall than some of the other starters at other positions, but he may fill a role that is needed (relief pitcher, pinch hitter, courtesy runner, utility sub, etc.).  That doesn't necessarily mean that his coach doesn't think he can't play, but he may feel he helps the team better in that role. 

Evaluating talent and building rosters and lineups is subjective, even with stats and numbers.  There are politics everywhere, but there are also differences of opinion on talent everywhere.  But, to think that a coach that presumably wants to win is arbitrarily sitting talented kids that could help him while he twists his moustache and laughs menacingly is just ridiculous.  And with that I come back to my original thought - maybe your kid isn't as good as you think or perceive him to be.

Coaches are competitive by nature...  They love to win.

How many times have we seen a "star player" get disciplined for one reason or another... But the coach find a way to have the discipline handed out NOT interfere with the "big game".  And if you ask the coaches, I would be willing to bet, MANY times coaches play a kid they don't like, simply because the kid has talent. 

I will go out on a limb and say 99.99% of the time, coaches are gonna have the most talented players on the field simply because THEY WANT TO WIN. 

It's in their coaching DNA. 

[/quote]

You could insert : Nedbaseball1995, WBbaseball1995, Kountze1995, BCbaseball1995, PNGbaseball1995

It's early....Maybe 10 ab's, 4 innings on the mound....Produce and no coach I know will keep you out of the lineup.

This reminds me of the post earlier this year where the dad posted that his son that got cut was one of the top five hitters in district 20-4A.

I read that post and briefly thought how could that be. I then called a guy that is one of the most knowlegable baseball people in the area that i knew was familiar with the kid. His answer was a long way off from the dads assessment. Quote? I will not share with you his words as to not offend the boy or the dad. Sometimes parents miss it by a hundred miles.

One guy mentioned earlier that its in coaches' nature to win. I would like to add to that. Its in parents nature to think their kid is better than he really is. If your boy can help the team win, his coach will use him to do just that.

This post was not referring to varsity or Griff. It's actually the younger teams I was referring to. I never even said I had a kid playing, just observing who I see sitting on the bench and never touching the field. Even at after school practice, I never see any of the younger teams touch the field. How do you develop younger kids and get them ready for varsity if they never get on the field and practice? I see several freshman practicing and playing with varsity but then there are several kids on JV and Soph teams that are better and sit the bench in those games.  If a coach wants to win like several of you have said, why wouldn't the better players be on varsity? I'm not dogging or downing anyone, just curious. If you don't beleive me, go to a practice and see for yourself.

[quote name="lcmbaseball1995" post="1378914" timestamp="1361721616"]
This post was not referring to varsity or Griff. It's actually the younger teams I was referring to. I never even said I had a kid playing, just observing who I see sitting on the bench and never touching the field. Even at after school practice, I never see any of the younger teams touch the field. How do you develop younger kids and get them ready for varsity if they never get on the field and practice? I see several freshman practicing and playing with varsity but then there are several kids on JV and Soph teams that are better and sit the bench in those games.  If a coach wants to win like several of you have said, why wouldn't the better players be on varsity? I'm not dogging or downing anyone, just curious. If you don't beleive me, go to a practice and see for yourself.
[/quote]
Griff does allow the underclassmen to practice. The underclassmen tend to have success as they get older. Apparently he is doing something right. He allows all the opportunity to get on the practice field. Tell me this: if he allows up to a 100 kids on the varsity field and gives them all fair attention, how can he possibly develop a varsity program? He needs to spend time with the kids he know can play with the varsity year in and year out. This is where your sophomore and jv coach come in to play. Their goal is to get these kids ready for varsity baseball. If you didn't have a kid on the team, I'd be suprised.

lcmbaseball1995, maybe next time you decide to post something you need to reread what you have wrote, your second post went more into more detail what you were trying to say. 

Griff, plays the players that he feels will win for him, just b/c a freshman or JV player is practicing with the varsity doesn't mean he will be on the team for the season. Could it be that he is seeing what the boy has or doesn't has.

I'm with the other post if you are watching practice maybe you need to seriously find a hobby.  Practice is just that practice.  Griff and the other coaches do what they do for a reason.  There is no rhythm or reason behind their method but I can tell you they know what they are doing.  Undoubtedly, the younger teams are practicing sometime b/c they seam to know what to do when called upon.

If you have concerns instead of posting it on public forum why don't you make an appointment with the coaches and discuss it with them. 

I have a son playing on this LCM JV team. He hasn't gotten much playing time as of yet but like someone else said, it's early in the season. It's hard to see your kid on the bench for an entire game, and I have to believe the coach is seeing something in the guys he has on the field. If your kid has talent, he will have to show it when he gets his chance.

We had two freshman players come straight from Basketball and after one game they are now starting on varsity and will be big part of our success, Why you ask because both have been playing on high level summer teams. My advice to any young player is get your son on a summer team where every player is as good or better then your son and make him earn his playing time, that is what he will face in a quaility high school program. Age does not mean anything when it comes to playing time, that is where some parents just do not understand.

I agree with the earlier post that maybe your kid or "the" kid is not as good as you think. So many of these kids grow up playing on their dad's team and having (in some situations not all) the best position handed to them, the top of the batting order handed to them, oppurtunity to be on the mound handed to them, and then all of a sudden they hit high school ball where mom and dad's opinion does not amount to a whole lot and reality comes a calling....I tell my boys to play hard always and the cream will rise to the top and sometimes you may not be the cream.

I'm gonna step in and help out LCMbaseball. I don't have any kids playing baseball but have seen plenty of HS ball.

I think sometimes coaches get enamored with the kid that can make the running/diving spectacular catch but then turn around and boot the routine ground ball. A lot of coaches (esp in subvarsity it seems) love the flash. Kids with good solid fundamentals sometimes get overlooked because they aren't flashy and don't make the spectacular play. Eventually the cream does rise to the top. Keep working hard and you'll get your chance to prove em wrong (or the coach will be proven right).
JMHO

I don't know one single coach that got into coaching to do anything but win. You don't get into coaching to play kids you like and "PARENTS WITH MONEY NEVER GIVE THE COACH ANY' so why would they get into coaching to play "Rich Kids". Coaches play the kids that give their team the best chance to win games. You may disagree with their plan to do that, but don't ever question a coaches drive to win.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine