Wo-s vs Lorena

[quote name="griff" post="1343292" timestamp="1354024391"]
[quote author=jkbtjc53 link=topic=106680.msg1343250#msg1343250 date=1353996260]
[b]Yes WOS had a huge talent advantage iver Whimberely that year[/b]. And Navasoto 's team this year doesn't have near the firepower that team had.

Deon Bealsey at QB - University of Texas Starting cornerback, now in the cfl
Earl Thomas at wideout and cornerback. University of Texas starting safety 1st round draft pick and pro bowler.
Jacoby Franks at wideout Texas Tech starting wideout two years.
Ladarious White at wideout UofH signee.

That's just the superstar names from that team they had 7 other guys who were either sophomores or juniors on that team that play college ball.

Navasota doesn't have one ki that can touch those 4 kids I named
[/quote]

[b]Wimberley was better than WO-S...hands down[/b].  Naming players who got college scholarships from WO-S doesn't change the fact.  Wimberley was equally as good of a running team as they were a passing team.  We decided to put more defensive emphasis on stopping their passing game, and in response they did the smart thing.  They used their offensive line and tailback to bulldoze us.  That was an impressive OL.  We could not stop them.  At least two of their O-lineman signed scholarships, one to UT. 

The Giddings game in '06 was one we should have won.  It's one of those occassional moments where the better team lost.  Play selection had MUCH to do with losing that one. 

In the Gilmer game, I thought that was the best game our former OC called in all of his time at WO-S.  Play selection included a time-consuming drive to start the game, and aggressive calls the rest of the way.  The strategy was right for that one.  We had two dropped TD passes, and one slightly overthrown one.  Three potential TDs.  We had zero room for error in order to win that one.  Gilmer was better than us. 

I'm looking forward to a solid performance by our boys this Friday.  I know they're focussed.  Let's go beat the spots off those leopards. 
[/quote]
I was working at WOS in '05. WOS had all those skill people, unfortunately they didn't have the line to go with them. Wimberley's line dominated that game. That and the fact WOS couldn't tackle their TB. The other factor in that game that wasn't mentioned, 4 turnovers by the 'Stangs resulted in 24 pts.! Two scooop and scores, a pick 6 and field goal off of another. Wimberley wins by...24. Coach T told me after the game that they could've till Christmas and still not tackled #32. When you get to the 3rd round and beyond it's not all about talent. Usually both teams will have talent. In the playoffs, turnovers decide most games and sometime the ball doesn't bounce your way.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1343890" timestamp="1354117773"]
[quote author=griff link=topic=106680.msg1343292#msg1343292 date=1354024391]
[b]Yes WOS had a huge talent advantage iver Whimberely that year[/b]. And Navasoto 's team this year doesn't have near the firepower that team had.
HI
Earl Thomas at wideout and cornerback. University of Texas starting safety 1st round draft pick and pro bowler.

That's just the superstar names from that team they had 7 other guys who were either sophomores or juniors on that team that play college ball.

[/quote]

[b]Wimberley was better than WO-S...hands down[/b].  Naming players who got college scholarships from WO-S doesn't change the fact.  Wimberley was equally as good of a running team as they were a passing team.  We decided to put more defensive emphasis on stopping their passing game, and in response they did the smart thing.  They used their offensive line and tailback to bulldoze us.  That was an impressive OL.  We could not stop them.  At least two of their O-lineman signed scholarships, one to UT. 

The Giddings game in '06 was one we should have won.  It's one of those occassional moments where the better team lost.  Play selection had MUCH to do with losing that one. 

In the Gilmer game, I thought that was the best game our former OC called in all of his time at WO-S.  Play selection included a time-consuming drive to start the game, and aggressive calls the rest of the way.  The strategy was right for that one.  We had two dropped TD passes, and one slightly overthrown one.  Three potential TDs.  We had zero room for error in order to win that one.  Gilmer was better than us. 

I'm looking forward to a solid performance by our boys this Friday.  I know they're focussed.  Let's go beat the spots off those leopards. 
[/quote]
I was working at WOS in '05. WOS had all those skill people, unfortunately they didn't have the line to go with them. Wimberley's line dominated that game. That and the fact WOS couldn't tackle their TB. The other factor in that game that wasn't mentioned, 4 turnovers by the 'Stangs resulted in 24 pts.! Two scooop and scores, a pick 6 and field goal off of another. Wimberley wins by...24. Coach T told me after the game that they could've till Christmas and still not tackled #32. When you get to the 3rd round and beyond it's not all about talent. Usually both teams will have talent. In the playoffs, turnovers decide most games and sometime the ball doesn't bounce your way.
[/quote]
If you was there in '05 then you know the kid wearing jersey number 4 should have been QB

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1343890" timestamp="1354117773"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Our downfall in a lot of seasons past has been the size of our linemen. They always have heart and speed, but we do have problems with a team with large linemen. Turnovers and penalties will kill you. WOS has been pretty good protecting the ball this year but we have got to stop those penalties.

[quote name="One4All" post="1343949" timestamp="1354123429"]
[quote author=Titletown2 link=topic=106680.msg1343890#msg1343890 date=1354117773]
HI

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[b]If you was there in '05 then you know the kid wearing jersey number 4 should have been QB[/b][/quote]
I was there and #4 should NOT have been the QB that year. He was not better than Beasley! Beasley was THE leader of that team. #4 hadn't developed that yet. Yes he had a better arm than Beasley but, at the time Beasley had the intangables that #4 hadn't developed at that time. Unless you were part of that team, you didn't see the behind the scene stuff.

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1343996" timestamp="1354128318"]
[quote author=One4All link=topic=106680.msg1343949#msg1343949 date=1354123429]
[quote author=Titletown2 link=topic=106680.msg1343890#msg1343890 date=1354117773]
HI

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[b]If you was there in '05 then you know the kid wearing jersey number 4 should have been QB[/b][/quote]
I was there and #4 should NOT have been the QB that year. He was not better than Beasley! Beasley was THE leader of that team. #4 hadn't developed that yet. Yes he had a better arm than Beasley but, at the time Beasley had the intangables that #4 hadn't developed at that time. Unless you were part of that team, you didn't see the behind the scene stuff.
[/quote]

number 7 was the better athlete,but number 4 was  the better quarterback... behind the scenes or not

Guest SlobCat
Howdy Fellas,

I am familiar with the district in which Lorena plays and can tell you that WOS will have to play its A game to win.  If you allow Lorena to hang around in the 4th quarter, they will have a good chance of beating you.  They have not faced a defense like yours; however, they will adjust and if you let them hang, I think you will be sorry. So, if you get the lead you'd better keep your foot on their throat (so to speak) and not let up until the final second ticks off the clock.

Just my opinion based on experience.

[quote name="SlobCat" post="1344129" timestamp="1354139164"]
Howdy Fellas,

I am familiar with the district in which Lorena plays and can tell you that WOS will have to play its A game to win.  If you allow Lorena to hang around in the 4th quarter, they will have a good chance of beating you.  They have not faced a defense like yours; however, they will adjust and if you let them hang, I think you will be sorry. So, if you get the lead you'd better keep your foot on their throat (so to speak) and not let up until the final second ticks off the clock.

[/quote]

I think boths teams will have their A game come friday at 7.. Once West Orange grabs that lead they are gonna control the clock just like they did in the game against WC. Most people say that didn't play to well in that game but I think they did a good job controlling the game.. IMP I think WO could have scored at least two more TD's but they were playing very conservtively in the second half and controlling the clock.

[quote name="SlobCat" post="1344129" timestamp="1354139164"]
Howdy Fellas,

[/quote]

Welcome to the site, my friend! Thanks for the info. The thing about WOS is they are a very good second half team. And I can tell you this....if Lorena is hoping for a fourth quarter opportunity, it will be a long night. The Mustangs play their best football, (except last week) in the second half.

Guest SlobCat
[quote name="skipper" post="1344189" timestamp="1354148347"]
i just wish i new more about lorena what has got them this far are thay a running team are passing are both thay must have a good D are thay would be playing basketball
[/quote]

They run more than pass. The QB is the main show, power runner, good passer on both the short ball and the long ball. Don't get caught napping on the long ball. They don't make many mistakes. Their defense is good, but not great.  I don't know the technical terms for the offense and defense.

When they first take the field you are going to be surprised at how small they seem at first.

Speed on the corners can get to them, Fairfield had a few good runs off tackle and outside with one being a long TD.

I hope to be able to come to the game, I have never seen WOS play.

[quote name="SlobCat" post="1344270" timestamp="1354162239"]
[quote author=skipper link=topic=106680.msg1344189#msg1344189 date=1354148347]
i just wish i new more about lorena what has got them this far are thay a running team are passing are both thay must have a good D are thay would be playing basketball
[/quote]

They run more than pass. The QB is the main show, power runner, good passer on both the short ball and the long ball. Don't get caught napping on the long ball. They don't make many mistakes. Their defense is good, but not great.  I don't know the technical terms for the offense and defense.

When they first take the field you are going to be surprised at how small they seem at first.

Speed on the corners can get to them, Fairfield had a few good runs off tackle and outside with one being a long TD.

I hope to be able to come to the game, I have never seen WOS play.
[/quote]

It seems they kinda have a weaker defense then most teams that WO have faced and Lorena does have a good leader on offense but I think that the speed of WO will get to him pretty quick. I think they will have to pass more in this game then they have in any other games. I see at least 2 or 3 int for the WO defense in this game.

[quote name="skipper" post="1344189" timestamp="1354148347"]
[/quote]

Skip,from what I read Coleman the qb is the key.Contain him and you stop Lorena.He's what makes their offense go.Similar to Silsbee's JJ.

[quote name="GUNHO" post="1344330" timestamp="1354196983"]
[/quote]

Skip,from what I read Coleman the qb is the key.Contain him and you stop Lorena.He's what makes their offense go.Similar to Silsbee's JJ.
[/quote]

From what I have heard, they are very similar to the '05(I believe) Bridge City team. Small but very scrappy. Have a quarterback that plays just like J. Dishon did with the Cardinals. If they are a team that is run heavy, uses alot of traps or QB Draws, then too bad for them.

[quote name="GUNHO" post="1344330" timestamp="1354196983"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

From what I saw not near as fast as JJ or as quick, but strong, powerful runner for sure.

I am new to this site and I have really enjoyed reading it.  I am a Leopard for life, I played there, live there, have young kids and a wife that teaches there.  One tihing I would like to say is dont over look the athletic ability of Lorena.  They have been in the top 10 of the Long Star cup the last 3 years.  They have been to the playoffs in every sport boys and girls for about 5 years in a row.  Not only in the playoffs but they seem to make great runs every year.  Which is hard to do when u are one of the smallest 3A schools.  That being said I am very aware that we do not have to horses that yall have on the football field but we do have over all team speed and are not that small on the line.  The QB is not all that fast but is a load.  He runs about a 4.8 and weighs about 216 or so.  We do have some speed and also have the 2 fastest kids in the district whivh in this district thats fast.  There is a couple of kids that run 10.5 / 10.3 hundreds.  The one thing I can say is if your kids dont like being hit or punched in the face then they better stay home because there is no trick to Lorena they line up and come at you.  I do pivk yall to win the came but I think it will be closer then some think.  Good luck to both teams and we will see yall Friday.

[quote name="corey" post="1344361" timestamp="1354201601"]
I am new to this site and I have really enjoyed reading it.  I am a Leopard for life, I played there, live there, have young kids and a wife that teaches there.  One tihing I would like to say is dont over look the athletic ability of Lorena.  They have been in the top 10 of the Long Star cup the last 3 years.  They have been to the playoffs in every sport boys and girls for about 5 years in a row.  Not only in the playoffs but they seem to make great runs every year.  Which is hard to do when u are one of the smallest 3A schools.  That being said I am very aware that we do not have to horses that yall have on the football field but we do have over all team speed and are not that small on the line.  The QB is not all that fast but is a load.  He runs about a 4.8 and weighs about 216 or so.  We do have some speed and also have the 2 fastest kids in the district whivh in this district thats fast.  There is a couple of kids that run 10.5 / 10.3 hundreds.  The one thing I can say is if your kids dont like being hit or punched in the face then they better stay home because there is no trick to Lorena they line up and come at you.  I do pivk yall to win the came but I think it will be closer then some think.  Good luck to both teams and we will see yall Friday.
[/quote]

Good post corey and welcom to the board.
I have the up most respect for Lorena.You don't get this far if your a push over and we know you have to play for four quarters if you want to advance.May the best team win and stay healthy.

I know one thing, Lorena is a thorn in Coldspring's side. Last year they played us close when I thought it was going to be a blowout. And 3 years ago we let them hang around in the 4th quarter and they knocked us out in the 3rd round. WOS should win but be careful.

[quote name="corey" post="1344361" timestamp="1354201601"]
[/quote]This sounds like  the kind of team I like to see WOS play. A big slow QB. "TROUBLE".  WOS  will not punch you in the face, "BUT"  (THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN)

They kid that won district ran a 10.41 and has been doing a track camp with elite runners.  The other kid ran 11.01 in 8th grade.  He ran 10.8's as a feshman but torn his ACL last year.  He saids he will hit 10.5 - 10.6 this year.  Lorena has won district the last 2 years in track and have won the 100 about 4 years in a row. Ran white kids can run too... lol

All4one what I mean by behind the scenes were coaches' meetings. Bevil's problem at that time was same thing he had at Lamar. Beasley won at least 2 of the playoff games that year becuse he was the better athlete. The Huffman game and the Palestine games. Neither had an answer for him. Especially the Palestine game.

Stangs will smash you in the mouth on defense and in the running game. They will run circles around you then bite you at the appropriate time in an unappropriate place. ;D

Lorena will have to throw for over 200 yards to win IMO. Lorena may come from a speed district but i just don't believe that they have seen speed overall like WOS has. Weren't we the [u]state[/u] track champions like 3 out of the past 4 or 5 years? If Lorena wasn't a very good team they wouldn't still be playing. Looking forward to a great game, I look for a close game myself.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder