Am I the only HD Bobcat fan.....

Guest incognito123

Guest incognito123
....that has a sickness in my gut, thinking about what might have been had we not started so slow?  Had we not kicked the two onside kicks and given Alto a short field?  Had we not muffed that kickoff in the 1st qtr?  Had we not chosen to throw on 4th and 4 at the end of the game and just taken our chances running Lavalais or Herman? 

I'm not second guessing Finney's staff, Lord knows we are lucky to have them and without them we would already be playing basketball.  I"m just asking "what if". 

Guest incognito123
It has been years, YEARS, since I"ve seen a Bobcat team that got down three scores and had the heart and drive to fight back from that deficit.  Not just fight back, but do enough to win the game.  Alto is no chump, and we wiped the floor with them for the last three quarters of that game.  They went up 21-0 in the first, and we won the last three qts 28-14.  As much as this will resonate with me all offseason, I hope it burns inside the players even more. I hope Alto runs through the playoffs and makes the deepest run possible so our boys can look at that and see how good we really are!  We were left for dead at the end of that 1st qtr, and our teams new attitude and drive shone through.  I cannot say how grateful I am to Coaches Finney and Huckaby for taking a chance on our boys.  They could've landed in cushier places than HD, but they chose to come here and invest.  It shows.  Fighting back from three scores down shows me that our boys beleive in themselves and in their coaches.  That hasn't happened in a while.  As gutwrenched as I am about the loss,  I am unbelieveably optimistic about the future.  Other schools, keep your hands off of our coaches this offseason!  LEAVE THEM ALONE! They're not available to apply for your openings!  8)

[quote name="BringThePain" post="1340125" timestamp="1353726806"]
....that has a sickness in my gut, thinking about what might have been had we not started so slow?  Had we not kicked the two onside kicks and given Alto a short field?  Had we not muffed that kickoff in the 1st qtr?  Had we not chosen to throw on 4th and 4 at the end of the game and just taken our chances running Lavalais or Herman? 

I'm not second guessing Finney's staff, Lord knows we are lucky to have them and without them we would already be playing basketball.  I"m just asking "what if".
[/quote]

and had you not played Alto? ;) ;D

Guest incognito123
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1340320" timestamp="1353734177"]
[quote author=BringThePain link=topic=106674.msg1340125#msg1340125 date=1353726806]

[/quote]

and had you not played Alto? ;) ;D
[/quote]

I think even the folks from Alto will tell you that HD gave them all they could handle.  Remove the few mistakes HD made, and Alto didn't make, and HD wins that game going away. 

HD fought hard without question but here is another perspective that the people in Alto may have: What if Alto does not let off the gas when they are cruising with a 21-0 lead? Alto really was only stopped twice in the game. Alto once threatened, scored every time. HD had no answer for Stearns and Whitaker who amassed >400 yards rushing. It would be best to accept that you played a good game against a good team and gave it everything you had. Alto is the better team.

I was in Lufkin and had some time to kill, so I went to this game. I was surprised at the fight in HD. Nothing at all to hang their heads about. Alto is Alto. Solid, fast, well-coached. Having said that, I don't think they'll get out of the region. Without any passing threat, a top-tier team will figure out a way to stop, or at least slow down the run. Very entertaining game to watch. Congrats to both teams.

[quote name="BringThePain" post="1340273" timestamp="1353731901"]
It has been years, YEARS, since I"ve seen a Bobcat team that got down three scores and had the heart and drive to fight back from that deficit.  Not just fight back, but do enough to win the game.  Alto is no chump, and we wiped the floor with them for the last three quarters of that game.  They went up 21-0 in the first, and we won the last three qts 28-14.  As much as this will resonate with me all offseason, I hope it burns inside the players even more. I hope Alto runs through the playoffs and makes the deepest run possible so our boys can look at that and see how good we really are!  We were left for dead at the end of that 1st qtr, and our teams new attitude and drive shone through.  I cannot say how grateful I am to Coaches Finney and Huckaby for taking a chance on our boys.  They could've landed in cushier places than HD, but they chose to come here and invest.  It shows.  Fighting back from three scores down shows me that our boys beleive in themselves and in their coaches.  That hasn't happened in a while.  As gutwrenched as I am about the loss,  I am unbelieveably optimistic about the future.  Other schools, keep your hands off of our coaches this offseason!  LEAVE THEM ALONE! They're not available to apply for your openings!  8)
[/quote]

HD 55, congratulations on a hard played game and a season that surely was beyond original expectations. 
I'm now a fan of yours and have switched over to taking
on this bleeding heart - "Pain."  WOW - this piece really
is the [b]greatest ode to a moral victory [/b] that I have ever read.  And his "what if" post; couldn't that be done for every loss that the Bobcats have had since the state championship game?  Just review that list again and then
answer this question.  Do championship teams make all
those what-ifs?  No, of course not.  The Bobcats made a great season out of what might have started out to be a rebuilding year.  Enjoy that part, Pain, and lay off the excuses. 8)

Guest incognito123
[quote name="usedtobe" post="1340483" timestamp="1353766404"]
[quote author=BringThePain link=topic=106674.msg1340273#msg1340273 date=1353731901]
[/quote]

HD 55, congratulations on a hard played game and a season that surely was beyond original expectations. 
I'm now a fan of yours and have switched over to taking
on this bleeding heart - "Pain."  WOW - this piece really
is the [b]greatest ode to a moral victory [/b] that I have ever read.  And his "what if" post; couldn't that be done for every loss that the Bobcats have had since the state championship game?  Just review that list again and then
answer this question.  Do championship teams make all
those what-ifs?  No, of course not.  The Bobcats made a great season out of what might have started out to be a rebuilding year.  Enjoy that part, Pain, and lay off the excuses. 8)
[/quote]

I'm not making excuses.  I'm saying exactly what you are saying, cut out the mistakes and it would've been a different story.  Do championship teams make those mistakes?  No.  Hence why we are no longer playing and Alto is.  We are not yet a championship team.  The mood of the post should read that I am sick about it because we are so close.  I am sick for the kids who gave everything they had to a season that everyone said was a lost cause.  If I'm a bleeding heart for remembering what it feels like to have your season ended when you had a chance to win, then it is what it is.  Congrats to Alto.  They played very well and were a very good team.  HD is a very good team as well. 

Guest incognito123
usedtobe -  By the way, find someone else to "take on".  It's sad that you feel the need to "take on" anyone.  Your life must be short of interesting outside of these boards.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder