Sunbelt wants SHSU, not Lamar

UNLV

Sunbelt fans...correction.

I was checking out the many boards to get a hint on the Sunbelt Oct. meetings. Everyone is talking about expansion. App st and Ga Southern is the preferred choices. Arguments for and against Jax st, NMSU, and SHSU.
Unanimous consensus, NO LAMAR.  Lamar MMB suck, football suck, Lamar is gay, Lamar will bring down the SBC are just a few. Not 1 person thought Lamar was a decent add.

Are you saying that the one school that does not wish to leave the Southland is the one being touted for the Sunbelt?  If true, that seems to be rather ironic.  I would agree that Lamar would make more sense because it has the Golden Triangle to draw fans from.  That should be a rather large fan base.

[quote name="j_dog" post="1288993" timestamp="1349204734"]
Are you saying that the one school that does not wish to leave the Southland is the one being touted for the Sunbelt?  If true, that seems to be rather ironic.  [b]I would agree that Lamar would make more sense because it has the Golden Triangle to draw fans from.  That should be a rather large fan base.[/b]
[/quote]

After the Fox debacle. This isn't even a selling point anymore.

[quote name="wbfan" post="1289035" timestamp="1349207737"]
[quote author=j_dog link=topic=104032.msg1288993#msg1288993 date=1349204734]
Are you saying that the one school that does not wish to leave the Southland is the one being touted for the Sunbelt?  If true, that seems to be rather ironic.  [b]I would agree that Lamar would make more sense because it has the Golden Triangle to draw fans from.  That should be a rather large fan base.[/b]
[/quote]

After the Fox debacle. This isn't even a selling point anymore.
[/quote]
Win consistently, and the fans will appear.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1288886" timestamp="1349198492"]
Wasn't Lamar in the Sun BELT  a few years ago with basketball. LU could not hang with Sun Belt
[/quote]

Does 14 years count as "a few years ago"?  Budget-wise, Lamar was in terrible shape way back then, not anymore.  But none of that really matters.

Georgia State is going to the Sun Belt and their 3rd year football program is doing worst than Lamar's.  They are 0-5 and their big name coach is now a lame-duck coach.  What matters most is the market.  But if the Sun Belt wants to or has to expand, they are down to medium-sized markets and Lamar fits that profile, plus fills the gap between Texas State and the rest of the western teams.

It's not fair they mentioned SHSU over LU! We have an advantage over them having the having one of the best athletic facilities in the Southland Conference! Why they mentioned SHSU over them? Is it because they're closer to Houston (one hour from there)? LU is closer to Houston but only one and a half to two hours away! Does it make any sense at all?

SHSU is only a few miles closer to DT Houston than Lamar. Huntsville micro is part of Houston CSA and DMA.
I am surprised Beaumont/Port Arthur MSA has not joined into Houston CSA. It would help our image. It will in the future, I'm not sure when.

No one knows about the great changes at Lamar since the 90's. Therefore SHSU will always get the favorable opinion when compared to Lamar. Lamar does nothing to help it's image outside the area.From an athletic point, all Lamar has to do is release an artist drawing of a 30k, or 35k, or 41k stadium would look like and everyone would around the country would take notice. But Nooooooooooo.,

UNLV is not bashful http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/oct/02/more-details-coming-focus-proposed-unlv-stadium/

Neither is Colorado st  http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20121001/NEWS01/310010014/Reports-say-CSU-president-conditionally-approve-new-stadium?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE&nclick_check=1

[quote name="skipmeister" post="1290200" timestamp="1349357879"]
It's not fair they mentioned SHSU over LU! We have an advantage over them having the having one of the best athletic facilities in the Southland Conference! Why they mentioned SHSU over them? Is it because they're closer to Houston (one hour from there)? LU is closer to Houston but only one and a half to two hours away! Does it make any sense at all?
[/quote]

well, for now, Sam is a powerhouse...only natural..doubt many of em have even heard much about either school..

[quote name="UNLV" post="1291121" timestamp="1349448545"]
Georgia Southern is moving to FBS, here is GSU stadium plans

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=591514

Lamar, we are staying with Woodard and the SLC.
[/quote]

So Georgia Southern is going FBS because someone posted some cheap stadium renderings on the internet?  That must mean Lamar's going FBS too because look below:

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7260/6890167022_b26325286e_n.jpg[/img]

[quote name="coachacola" post="1291218" timestamp="1349453608"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=104032.msg1291121#msg1291121 date=1349448545]
Georgia Southern is moving to FBS, here is GSU stadium plans

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=591514

Lamar, we are staying with Woodard and the SLC.
[/quote]

So Georgia Southern is going FBS because someone posted some cheap stadium renderings on the internet?  That must mean Lamar's going FBS too because look below:

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7260/6890167022_b26325286e_n.jpg[/img]
[/quote]A few days ago Ga Sou. voted to go fbs.  Some people believe App st and GSU will get a Sunbelt invite in November.

[quote name="Javelina" post="1291304" timestamp="1349460521"]
I actually like the expanded PU stadium pic
[/quote]

That's about 30K with minimal end zone seating.  I think they could squeeze 40K with end zone seats and a small upper deck on both sides.  It was originally designed for 50K but the Montagne Center limits that, but 40K would still be plenty big for the forseeable future.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1291401" timestamp="1349467474"]
How about us filling the 16K we have first.

What was the attendance number last home game, 8K? I believe that was very generous.  ::)
[/quote]

Well, Texas State had crummy attendance in the SLC but they expanded their stadium and are now in the Sun Belt.  Expanding is necessary some time in the future if Lamar is ever to go FBS, not saying they should do it now.

As a side note, I watched a few minutes of the Arkansas State at Florida International game last night on ESPNU.  FIU has 50K students and they only had maybe 5K total at the game and now they going to the CUSA.  Is the CUSA really going to be much better than the Sun Belt in a few years?

[quote name="coachacola" post="1291414" timestamp="1349468747"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=104032.msg1291401#msg1291401 date=1349467474]
How about us filling the 16K we have first.

What was the attendance number last home game, 8K? I believe that was very generous.  ::)
[/quote]

Well, Texas State had crummy attendance in the SLC but they expanded their stadium and are now in the Sun Belt.  Expanding is necessary some time in the future if Lamar is ever to go FBS, not saying they should do it now.

As a side note, I watched a few minutes of the Arkansas State at Florida International game last night on ESPNU.  FIU has 50K students and they only had maybe 5K total at the game and now they going to the CUSA.  Is the CUSA really going to be much better than the Sun Belt in a few years?
[/quote]
Texas state shot their wad vs TT..had 17k and 14k last 2 home games...on their way back to their usual 8k

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder