Weekly District 18-4a Power Rankings

1. Brenham- Cubs had a bye week, but Montgomery's struggles with West breaks the tie and moves Brenham to first since they handled West. They should easily beat Willis this week.

2. Montgomery- The Bears won a hard fought close game with West that was closer than it should have been, but West always plays Montgomery tough so it's not too surprising. It was good to see the team had resiliency and is able to close out close games.

3. Huntsville- Hornets have shown nothing to warrant them moving down because they are beating the teams they should be beating. The game against West should determine #3.

4. Magnolia West- The Mustangs aren't dead yet. They're a scrappy team who played above their talent level. They have an attitude about them. (Personally I think West as a school/fan base as a whole is extremely cocky however unwarranted that may be. Not just football either. They talk a lot of trash.)

5. Willis- The Wildkats won by stopping a 2 point conversion at the end of the game which allows them to pass Waller on the rankings, but this also pretty much solidifies the top 4.

6. Waller- The Bulldogs went for the win and came up just short which really hurts their playoff chances. They get the Bears at home this week.

7. Bryan Rudder- Rudder holds their spot at the top of the basement with a win over Caney Creek.

8. Magnolia- The Bulldogs best shot at a district win seems to be Caney Creek.

9. Caney Creek- The same can be said as Magnolia just vice versa.

I agree 100%.  I think the Top 4 will stay that way. 

Big Games:
Oct 12    Brenham @ Montgomery    For 1st place
Oct 19    Huntsville @ Mag West      For 3rd place   

By the way, another big game coming up this weekend: Magnolia @ Caney Creek for all the marbles.  I'll take Magnolia.

[quote name="Eazy" post="1288698" timestamp="1349186547"]

Big Games:

By the way, another big game coming up this weekend: Magnolia @ Caney Creek for all the marbles.  I'll take Magnolia.
[/quote]

Huntsville @ Brenham is also a big game, November 2nd.

1. (3-1  2-0) Brenham- The Cubs are still the king of the district until proven otherwise.  This young team has gotten better & better every week.  They will get a heavy dose of purple here in the next 2 weeks with Willis visiting on Friday & and a trip to Montgomery scheduled for next week.  Coming off of a bye, look for some new plays this week and next, but likely more against Montgomery cuz they are the biggest threat, as usual.

2. (3-2  3-0) Montgomery- The Bears are 3-0 in district, and are a big threat in taking the district crown.  They got a scare from a Mustang team that always plays them hard, which puts a little gap between the 2 top teams.  They have Waller this weekend, but after that, they get another shot at Brenham.  That will hands down be the best game in 18-4A, and both teams know it.  Hopefully, the Bears don't fall victim of the trap game, cuz I want next weeks match up to live up to the hype.

3. (3-2  2-1) Huntsville- They look like a playoff team, and if things hold up, they will be.  It's their spot to lose, but there are some difficult games on the horizon.  They still have to travel to MW on 10/19, and Brenham on 11/2.  The last time the Hornets came into Brenham and faced a soph QB, they pulled out a 21-0 win, which also landed them a district title.  It's been 4 years since this has happened, but perhaps some déjà vu.

4. (2-3  2-1) Willis- They come in at #4 on my list, for one reason.  Success....  They have successfully managed more district wins than losses.  Do I think they finish in this spot?  No, it will probably belong to Magnolia West.  However, if you look at the current standings, Willis is above MW.  It's hard for me to rank a team with more losses, better than another.  The Wildkats might be in for a reality check Friday, when they travel to "the Prideland".  It could be the beginning of the end for Willis.

5. (2-3  1-2) Magnolia West- The bad news is they have started district winless.  The good news is they have weathered the storm.  Now that Brenham and Montgomery are out of the way, things are going to get a little easier.  They can probably afford one more loss, but just to be safe I would play every game like its their last.  Huntsville presents a problem for the Mustangs, but at least they get that game at home, which they didn't have against Brenham or Montgomery.  I have to say, they looked a lot better against the Bears than the Cubs, so I might have been a little hard on them earlier this year.  This team will be on the rise soon.  Win the games they should win, and this team will still be around in mid November.

6. (2-3  2-1) Bryan Rudder- For now I have them at #6.  My reasons are simple...  They beat 2 out of the 3 teams below them, and the 3rd is winless.  I don't think the Rangers will stay ahead of Waller for long, but for now, it is what it is.

7. (1-3  0-2) Waller- This should be a borderline playoff team, but they are slowly starting to dig a hole, and it can't get much deeper if they plan on having a shot at the playoffs.  They did get Brenham out of the way, but followed it up with a 1 point loss to Willis.  Not sure why you would go for 2 when you can tie the game with just over a minute to go.  Instead of going to OT and possibly pulling out their first district win of the season, they have an uphill battle now.  With Montgomery this week, and Magnolia West & Huntsville still to come, they are going to need to probably steal 2 of those games now, instead of 1. 

8. (1-3  0-2) Magnolia- It's a long shot, but Magnolia still has chance.  Ok, long shot might be an understatement....  They played tough and hung around with Huntsville, but with Brenham, Montgomery, Magnolia West, Willis & Waller all to go, they desperately needed to beat Rudder.  At least McGowan has another year of elgibility.

9. (1-4  0-3) Caney Creek-  After Rudder put up 50+ on the Panthers, I'm not sure what positive I can find.  I guess it's a learning experience, but things will only get tougher now.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1289630" timestamp="1349278818"]
[quote author=Eazy link=topic=104030.msg1288698#msg1288698 date=1349186547]

Big Games:

[/quote]

[/quote]Yea, I think if Huntsville can defeat Mag West and come into this game 5-1 in District, then the Hornets have a chance to defeat Brenham.  Huntsville will have to play a complete game with very few mistakes to win it.  At times, Huntsville seems to self destruct with turnovers, penalties, etc.  You might be able to get away with that against Caney Creek or Magnolia, but not against Brenham.

Last year, Huntsville turned the ball over 6 times in the 1st half, assisting Brenham with a 44-7 halftime lead that ended in a 65-16 blowout.

[quote name="Eazy" post="1289863" timestamp="1349292984"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=104030.msg1289630#msg1289630 date=1349278818]

Big Games:

[/quote]

[/quote]Yea, I think if Huntsville can defeat Mag West and come into this game 5-1 in District, then the Hornets have a chance to defeat Brenham.  Huntsville will have to play a complete game with very few mistakes to win it.  At times, Huntsville seems to self destruct with turnovers, penalties, etc.  You might be able to get away with that against Caney Creek or Magnolia, but not against Brenham.

Last year, Huntsville turned the ball over 6 times in the 1st half, assisting Brenham with a 44-7 halftime lead that ended in a 65-16 blowout.
[/quote]

I remember that game.  The Hornet defense needs to cause Brenham's soph QB to make mistakes, to have a chance.

I'd look for Montgomery to be coming in hot after a win on the road vs Waller, and not to mention the added motivation of playing Brenham at home, I've heard through the grapevine that the game will be televised and broadcast on the radio as well. IMO even if you hate both teams you'd be tempted to come watch.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1289630" timestamp="1349278818"]

Big Games:

[/quote]

[/quote]if yall lose to a team thats using 12 1/2 QBs somethings wrong  ;D

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1289983" timestamp="1349309130"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=104030.msg1289630#msg1289630 date=1349278818]

Big Games:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who do you prepare for?!  Haha

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1290005" timestamp="1349310819"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=104030.msg1289983#msg1289983 date=1349309130]

Big Games:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who do you prepare for?!  Haha
[/quote]thats a harder question for Huntsville, im sure half those QBs dont get reps in practice.  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder