COACHING PHILOSOPHIES!!!!!!!! HELP ME UNDERSTAND PLEASE!!!!!!!

Please help me out and give me your opinions. I had great Coaches growing up as a kid, most of them are now my friends. All Coaches have different styles and philosophies. We also all agree, Coaches want to win and be successful. I have noticed two different Coaching philosophies that stand out to me. First one is the Coaching philosophy of, I as Head Coach will play my most skilled, star studded players as much as possible and they never come off the field, only on special teams maybe. I sure as heck give them the ball on key critical downs. I feed them the ball early and often. I feel like with that philosophy you give your team and players a fighting chance to be successful and victorious all the time and especially on key critical downs. The second Coaching philosophy is the one that involves playing totally within a system, that is based heavily on rotating your players and keeping them fresh and healthy above all. With this system you are in a kind of russian roulette of sort, meaning if you have a 4th and 1, your best player (rb) will not always get the ball, it will be which ever one of your 3-4 backs is due to rotate in. In my opinion, the first philosophy works best, especially when facing bigger more talented schools. It means to have your best skilled players on the field at all times and give your team a fighting chance to succeed. Give that star player or players the ball early and often. With the second philosopy your 3rd string or 3rd best RB could be carrying the ball in a critical moment, how fair is that to the team, is that a fighting chance? Please guys, give me some feed back. I need your help. Thanks.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1285904" timestamp="1348894434"]
Please help me out and give me your opinions. I had great Coaches growing up as a kid, most of them are now my friends. All Coaches have different styles and philosophies. We also all agree, Coaches want to win and be successful. I have noticed two different Coaching philosophies that stand out to me. First one is the Coaching philosophy of, I as Head Coach will play my most skilled, star studded players as much as possible and they never come off the field, only on special teams maybe. I sure as heck give them the ball on key critical downs. I feed them the ball early and often. I feel like with that philosophy you give your team and players a fighting chance to be successful and victorious all the time and especially on key critical downs. The second Coaching philosophy is the one that involves playing totally within a system, that is based heavily on rotating your players and keeping them fresh and healthy above all. With this system you are in a kind of russian roulette of sort, meaning if you have a 4th and 1, your best player (rb) will not always get the ball, it will be which ever one of your 3-4 backs is due to rotate in. In my opinion, the first philosophy works best, especially when facing bigger more talented schools. It means to have your best skilled players on the field at all times and give your team a fighting chance to succeed. Give that star player or players the ball early and often. With the second philosopy your 3rd string or 3rd best RB could be carrying the ball in a critical moment, how fair is that to the team, is that a fighting chance? Please guys, give me some feed back. I need your help. Thanks.
[/quote]
Not sure about the different styles, but I do know it is a lot harder than it appears.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1285906" timestamp="1348894598"]
Well that didn't take long. 4 weeks into the season and now Finney isn't the guy! ;)
[/quote]Your a Clown! I was asking a legit question. Finney is one of the best Coaches in 1A. HD will be fine. Really looking for answers. I notice you are always quick to start drama. Must have a terrible life. SMH.  ::)

[/quote]

Well you said please and I believe you're honestly looking for opinions. To me it's simple, especially in 3a and smaller programs. Players are more important than "systems". Not to dismiss structure, but thats what [i]builds[/i] a program FOR players, not in spite of them. So let the smites begin, its about ego, the value of that "system". IMO a smart coach looks at what the community offers him/her athletically and builds their "system" around that, not the other way around, and it changes alot year to year in smaller programs. Its a tough job, but probably easier when you don't have to make adjustments in the "system". Kids aren't robots, and a playmaker is more valueable than an X or O, not that X's and O's aren't important, its about priority, and when the X's and O's match up with the playmaker thats when the magic happens.

BTW, I don't have a dog in the HD fight, just making a general statement about what I've seen at home.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1285906" timestamp="1348894598"]
Well that didn't take long. 4 weeks into the season and now Finney isn't the guy! ;)
[/quote]

Does kinda seem like you were implying so 55.. but I agree with the last post for the most part. Smaller schools have to adapt and build around what they have while keeping the best players on the field at all times. Often you will only have 3-4 "studs" if your lucky..

[/quote]
I can totally relate. I try not to complain because I am not a coach but it comes to a point when enough is enough. It's pretty bad when you have women fans in the stands hollering at the coach. I know nothing will change but I'm just trying to understand also.

Lets throw in a twist. Now instead of one back to prepare for, you have to prepare for 4 different guys, all different in some way. Those other players wouldn't be in the game if they were not capable of getting the job done, so why not spread the workload and more importantly the hits.

I don't have a dog in the fight but here is an opinion. To win I have always believed that you must tweak your system around YOUR PLAYERS. I never felt that you go in with a system and come hell or high water stay rigidly with that option. A whole is only as good as the sum of its parts. You must play to your strengths and do whatever is best for your team and gives you the best chance of winning. That dictates that you must have the personnel on the field to accomplish that goal. If some get more playing time to accomplish your goal of winning then that is best for the overall team. If some playing both ways help the team win then so be it. In football and within the rules of the game and fair play, the end justifies the means. You will never make every kid, parent or fan happy, but as a coach you must do what is best for the team and gives the team the best chance of success.

HD Has good coaching and will be very good in there district, yal are playing some bigger and better teams in pre season and coming up short at the end. HD team as A hole to me is 100% better this year than last year Yal will be fine.You can't get in A big uproar just because yal Lost to D-Ville, We have A very Very Good team this year and A Great Coach.

Keep your head up HD 55 Yal will Be fine

GO PIRATES
    #10 is the MAN

[quote name="coach pops" post="1286037" timestamp="1348916864"]
I don't have a dog in the fight but here is an opinion. To win I have always believed that you must tweak your system around YOUR PLAYERS. I never felt that you go in with a system and come heck or high water stay rigidly with that option. A whole is only as good as the sum of its parts. You must play to your strengths and do whatever is best for your team and gives you the best chance of winning. That dictates that you must have the personnel on the field to accomplish that goal. If some get more playing time to accomplish your goal of winning then that is best for the overall team. If some playing both ways help the team win then so be it. In football and within the rules of the game and fair play, the end justifies the means. You will never make every kid, parent or fan happy, but as a coach you must do what is best for the team and gives the team the best chance of success.
[/quote]

^^^This

Honestly, I don't think most coaches adapt their system to the players.  Some may change certain aspect of the system such as more man coverage with a shutdown corner. I think this is where the right coach for the right situation comes into play. Teams are reflections of their coaches not the coaches of the kids. Continuity is the key for any program, it's one reason WOS has had such great success. A community blessed with speed kids need to hire a coach who KNOWS how to utilize it not someone who wants to pound the ball inside. Coaches are gonna go with what they are comfortable with.

Yes, some coaching philosophies change, for example the wishbone, the veer, and now the spread. I just think that most changes (especially offensively) are geared more to the trend at the moment than changing a system for the kids.

I have always heard a great coaches changes depending on what he has..I just don't think that changing offensive or defensive philosophy from year to year does anything but confuse your players.

[quote name="Txdragon" post="1286416" timestamp="1348943992"]
Honestly, I don't think most coaches adapt their system to the players.  Some may change certain aspect of the system such as more man coverage with a shutdown corner. I think this is where the right coach for the right situation comes into play. Teams are reflections of their coaches not the coaches of the kids. Continuity is the key for any program, it's one reason WOS has had such great success. A community blessed with speed kids need to hire a coach who KNOWS how to utilize it not someone who wants to pound the ball inside. Coaches are gonna go with what they are comfortable with.

Yes, some coaching philosophies change, for example the wishbone, the veer, and now the spread. I just think that most changes (especially offensively) are geared more to the trend at the moment than changing a system for the kids.

I have always heard a great coaches changes depending on what he has..I just don't think that changing offensive or defensive philosophy from year to year does anything but confuse your players.
[/quote]

Personnel would generally be the same for at least every 2-3yrs..

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83