Do all 7th grade FB teams in Setx lack a good program?

[quote name="Booger" post="1277110" timestamp="1348188223"]
Certainly all good points, 7th grade football coaches may not be on their way to the NFL but they do have a tough road ahead of them. I have also heard about teams have 75 kids show up to play and only 20 have ever played before, the best coach would have a tough time with that.
[/quote]
True

Then maybe they should have tryouts. In my opinion it doesnt get any better in eighth grade either. The stand out kids will play and the others will sit the bench. By ninth grade half that many will show up. The kids who always sit will more than likely wont play in high school. They are behind plain and simple physically and just knowing how to play the game. There are tryouts in baseball all the time. This is school ball not STJFL or Lone Star. Everyone had there chance to be on a team and play then when they were younger. Sorry if you passed it up. If you dont make it in 7th work hard and try again in the 8th. Everyone does mature at different times. It would teach the kids that hard work can pay off. But you have to work hard and pay your dues like the other kids did when they were younger. Unless your the kind who believes everyone kids a trophy.  JMO

[quote name="XDOG" post="1277346" timestamp="1348223579"]
Then maybe they should have tryouts. In my opinion it doesnt get any better in eighth grade either. The stand out kids will play and the others will sit the bench. By ninth grade half that many will show up. The kids who always sit will more than likely wont play in high school. They are behind plain and simple physically and just knowing how to play the game. There are tryouts in baseball all the time. This is school ball not STJFL or Lone Star. Everyone had there chance to be on a team and play then when they were younger. Sorry if you passed it up. If you dont make it in 7th work hard and try again in the 8th. Everyone does mature at different times. It would teach the kids that hard work can pay off. But you have to work hard and pay your dues like the other kids did when they were younger. Unless your the kind who believes everyone kids a trophy.  JMO
[/quote]
Another good opinion. I agree with this also

Four coaches for 50 kids is a blessing in MS. In many schools, it's more like 2 coaches for 50 kids. Try and teach kids at that level anything when you have 49 other kids standing around. You teach a kid his job and tell the rest to listen, then when you put the other kid in that position, who was supposed to be listening, and he doesn't have a clue what you just taught the other. So now you have, basically, 50 kids and two coaches and they all need special attention. This is why you have the less talented kids doing a lot of watching and when they are in the game, appear unorganized and look like they don't know what they are doing. It's because they DON'T. There is only so much those guys can do in 2 hours a day, 3 days a week.

[quote name="XDOG" post="1277346" timestamp="1348223579"]
[/quote]1+ FOR U BIG DADDY ;)

Why play other schools in 7th grade? Practice the kids all week and have a game(s) Saturday morning against each other. Pick different combinations each week. More kids get to play and develop. 7th grade is about introducing them to the program and getting them headed in the right direction. Coaches & players get more practice time and ALL players get more playing time. More playing time equals coaches seeing each kid more and seeing where they fit moving forward in the program. Just my opinion.

[quote name="bradyb" post="1276157" timestamp="1348084809"]
[quote author=supergold82 link=topic=103329.msg1276116#msg1276116 date=1348081554]
The problem is not seventh grade programs. The problem is you don't have enough of those kids playing in the youth programs growing up leading up to their seventh grade years. I can't speak for all the youth programs in the area but i know in Vidor we struggle to get 20-25 senior kids every year. Then all of a sudden in seventh grade you have 75 kids come out to play football. I coached youth football for seven years and it obvious when you go and watch seventh grade football which ones played youth football and the ones that did not.
So now you have 4-6 coaches trying to evaluate 75 kids in a matter of about 4 weeks and that first week is conditioning only. So i can't put the blame on the coaches or the programs. A kid that has never played football before other than yard ball is not going to look good or play good at that level compared to the kids that have been playing since they were 5 years old. And then some might say just play the kids that have the talent and experence from playing youth football, but then you have little Johnnys parents calling the coach,AD, or school board. By the time they hit the 8th grade the coaches have had a year to evaluate the kids and things start to get
better.
I watched the Vidor 8th grade A team last night play central 8th grade A team and it was a very good ball game.( 32-22 Vidor won )
I also watched the games before that game and they were not that good. (Cental won both of those games )

So i think before we start knocking our 7th grade programs we need to take a look at what our Jr. High coaches are up against. They really have a TALL TASK to face each year. JMHO
[/quote]
Very true! I hate seeing 75 kids in a 7th grade program but only 18 played youth football.. That is the main problem!
[/quote]

beats the heck outta 75 kids playing xbox

i was very pleased with St. Anne's football when my son was there...there were a and b teams..not 7th and 8th...b team was mostly 7th and a few 6th graders..b teams played more games than a

[quote name="Stangpride" post="1277735" timestamp="1348259711"]
Well at our middle school the coaches are horrible, our little league coaches worked those kids harder then they do! Why is it little league coaches put all those years in these kids & middle school coaches dont even ask them which kids play where!!
[/quote]Because little league is daddy ball. Why would they ask you what position your kid played in your offense. Ex: Should Lumberton Middle School run the SQUAT because that's all their Little League football players know.. :D 

[quote name="Gucci" post="1277798" timestamp="1348265272"]
[quote author=Stangpride link=topic=103329.msg1277735#msg1277735 date=1348259711]
Well at our middle school the coaches are horrible, our little league coaches worked those kids harder then they do! Why is it little league coaches put all those years in these kids & middle school coaches dont even ask them which kids play where!!
[/quote]Because little league is daddy ball. Why would they ask you what position your kid played in your offense. Ex: Should Lumberton Middle School run the SQUAT because that's all their Little League football players know.. :D
[/quote]

Nice......two coaches do that offense.......Not a representation of the Entire Lumberton Program.....

But, now that you bring it up.......how many superbowls has it got them?

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="1277800" timestamp="1348265559"]
[quote author=Gucci link=topic=103329.msg1277798#msg1277798 date=1348265272]
[quote author=Stangpride link=topic=103329.msg1277735#msg1277735 date=1348259711]
[/quote]

Nice......two coaches do that offense.......Not a representation of the Entire Lumberton Program.....

[/quote]Not as many as WOS....lol

[quote name="Gucci" post="1277804" timestamp="1348265876"]
[quote author=thetragichippy link=topic=103329.msg1277800#msg1277800 date=1348265559]
[quote author=Gucci link=topic=103329.msg1277798#msg1277798 date=1348265272]
[/quote]

[/quote]Not as many as WOS....lol
[/quote]

lol.......+1

[quote name="Gucci" post="1277798" timestamp="1348265272"]
[/quote]

I don't know how y'all do it in yalls league but our little league is one big family, it ain't bout your kid!! They work all these years to prepare these kids for middle school..& it gets throwing out the window.. WOS is about football!!

Some parents of successful LL programs have a difficult time turning the page once their kids go up to MS. Some kids grow and mature at faster rates then others... Some are no longer under the wing of uncle coach and others can develop attitudes and either don't want to work or don't want to listen. For the parents, grandparents, aunt's and uncles it's easier to blame the coach than it is to accept that things change and be realistic about a childs ability or attitude...

They also have a tough time realizing that their children are no longer protected by weight limits etc... Some kids who were unbelievable in LL are not as dynamic when playing with bigger. faster kids. Kids they didn't have to contend with in the past.

That's not to say that the MS coaches don't have a responsibility to do what's right. Many times, especially in the 7th grade, in every school, the coaches are often Baseball, Basketball, Tennis etc coaches who may not know that much about the game. I feel it is their responsibility to learn the game and to ask questions and listen to those who have been there and know the game and the particular program. But this issue is in every MS, not just one in particular.

There are situations on both ends that can cause issues.

Just some things I've observed.

[quote name="Stangpride" post="1277735" timestamp="1348259711"]
[/quote]
Okay, I have to put my two cents in here.  My kid played center for the most part with the Lil Mustangs.  He was played on the Defense every now and again but for the most part, he was trained as a Center. In my opinion, his coaches did an excellent job of teaching him that position.  When he started 7th grade football, he was asked what position did he play and of course, he said Center.  He is the starting center for the A team.  This past Thursday he was put in as a Defensive (something or another) as a "filler".  After his first qb sack, his coaches thought "hey, what is going on?"  He played both offense and defense for the rest of the game and he proved himself.  He left the game maybe for 5 minutes to rest.  Gary showed moves that had not been taught by his current coaches but were taught by his Lil Mustang coaches.  They prepared him for this step in his football career.  Now the Jr. High / Middle School coaches are responsible for continuing his education. 

I spoke to Coach "Pick" yesterday after practice and addressed the fact that while he and Coach Vincent are running drills and plays, there were NUMEROUS players horsing around and not paying attention.  There were SOME players who displayed no discipline or respect.  Not all, but SOME.  I can't blame the coaches for that kind of action.  I did say that the 7th grade coaches need to be more like Coack Kellum and Collins of the 8th grade team.  Tough.

What I am saying is when he (Gary) started the season, he told the coaches what position he played and they took it from there.  Should they have tried him at different positions?  I think so.  I don't think they are bad coaches, they just went with what they thought was right. 

I know I couldn't go out there and coach those kids so I am thankful that someone is.  We all make mistakes in our decisions.  We are all human.  Let's enjoy the game!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder