Lamar Football...

smitty

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="WOS95" post="1259034" timestamp="1346619788"]
well in the lamar football programs defense..ULL was a good team...but if we take the same beatings in conference this year..then yes i would start asking questions as to why we are not improving..
[/quote]

But - Zero, Nil, Nada, Nothing, Zilch, on the scoreboard?  I think we can already see the lack of improvment.

I do think the defense is better this season even though the scoreboard does not show it.  The offense put them in a bad spot often in the first half.  The offense looks to be a weakness on this team.  The RB's seamed to be the only bright spot.  Even the ULL broadcasters commented on how Lamar looked set there.  The O Line needs some work.  The OT's were getting beat on most passing plays.  I was surprised that LU did not go deep more often.  But that could be explained by ULL playing two deep on the safety's which I could not see online.  I can't blabecause you cantme the coaches for the fumbles but taking timeouts because you can't get the plays in pn time is all on them. 

I read the Enterprise with amusement this morning.  The writer (can't think of his name) compares Lamar's 3rd year back at football, 2nd year in FCS classification(?), against and established program like ULL.  THERE IS NO COMPARISON!  ULL may be in the "lowly Sun Belt" but there is a big difference between the Cajuns and Lamar.  Scholarships, fans, facilities, athletic dept funds/budget, etc.  ULL is a real deal FBS program.

The writer points to the McNeese win over FBS Middle Tennessee.  That can happen when a program like McNeese does not have a 10 lapse in sponsoring FCS football.

My point is, Lamar fans should not be continually hard on the direction of the program.  It takes time for "start ups".  Unless.....................................you put the money into a coaching staff that can hit the ground running.  I thought Lamar was making a mistake hiring a JC coach, what, four years ago???  Should have hired a proven head coach or a top assistant from a successful program that could "kickstart" the Lamar program. 

LU fans to need to get behind the program, attend games, fill the stadium regardless of who they are playing, regardless of their record. Four years ago all Lamar could do was sit on the sidelines, catch a meaningless game on TV, all the while wishing football would return to Lamar.  Well it has returned!  Embrace it, support it.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="1259360" timestamp="1346680803"]
I read the Enterprise with amusement this morning.  The writer (can't think of his name) compares Lamar's 3rd year back at football, 2nd year in FCS classification(?), against and established program like ULL.  THERE IS NO COMPARISON!  ULL may be in the "lowly Sun Belt" but there is a big difference between the Cajuns and Lamar.  Scholarships, fans, facilities, athletic dept funds/budget, etc.  ULL is a real deal FBS program.

The writer points to the McNeese win over FBS Middle Tennessee.  That can happen when a program like McNeese does not have a 10 lapse in sponsoring FCS football.

My point is, Lamar fans should not be continually hard on the direction of the program.  It takes time for "start ups".  Unless.....................................you put the money into a coaching staff that can hit the ground running.  I thought Lamar was making a mistake hiring a JC coach, what, four years ago???  Should have hired a proven head coach or a top assistant from a successful program that could "kickstart" the Lamar program. 

LU fans to need to get behind the program, attend games, fill the stadium regardless of who they are playing, regardless of their record. Four years ago all Lamar could do was sit on the sidelines, catch a meaningless game on TV, all the while wishing football would return to Lamar.  Well it has returned!  Embrace it, support it.
[/quote]

Good post Menace!!! Sometimes we need someone on the outside to remind us to stop acting like fools!!!

I really believe that at the end of the year, Cardinal fans will look back and not feel quite so bad about this game.  The Cajuns could well win 10 or more games this year.  They appear to be much better defensively than last year, and the offense will be at least as good as it was in their 9 win season last year.  Do not be shocked if UL beats Florida later this season.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="1259360" timestamp="1346680803"]

[/quote]

i support LU fully and attend every home game...but it is frustrating to keep taking so many beatings...i feel the same as u..the fans should come and support the LU..the games really are fun and its nice to have a college football team so close to home.

Menace, I agree with your post. I even made a similar comment last night on another post. ULL is legit. It has taken them a number of years for them to get where they are right now.

In today's sports, everyone has this "win now" mentality, but we often forget that Rome wasn't built in one day. It takes time, patience, and luck for a start up program to start producing. 5 years is a good measuring stick because it will take the first true freshman class to graduate for winning seasons to begin regularly. It is similar to opening a new school. The players have to learn how to win college football games in order to e successful. Give the coaches time. As I stated in my other post, Lamar has to get out of SE Texas and market other cities if they want to win.  Lamar has to overcome the commuter school image and people need to know Lamar has a football team. Again, this will take time.

I compare us with SMU (death penalty - no football for two years) vs us dropping football and no football for 21 years.  I don't see it taking us as long as SMU to get to a winning record, but I think a five year "honeymoon" period mentioned by Wreckem2011 sounds reasonable as long as we see improvement.  I agree that we need to get the area behind the team.  I think support will accelerate the road to success.

Here's SMU's record after starting their program back.  (Each of the blowouts noted below were I-A/FBS vs I-A/FBS; not I-A/FBS vs I-AA/FCS like this week's game with UL-L.

1989 2-9  (Blowout loss 21-95 vs Houston)
1990 1-10 (Blowout loss 17-52 vs Baylor)
1991 1-10 (Blowout loss 6-65 vs A&M)
1992 5-6 (Blowout loss 7-49 vs Baylor)
1993 2-7-2 (Blowout loss 24-41 vs Texas Tech)
1994 1-9-1 (Baylor and Texas - blowout losses)
1995 1-10 (Navy, Wisconsin, Baylor - blowout losses)
1996 5-6 (Blowout loss to BYU)
1997 6-5 (Blowout loss to Navy)
1998 5-7 (Blowout loss to Arkansas)
1999 4-6-1 (Blowout loss to Tulane)
2000 3-9 (Blowout loss to NC State and TCU)
2009 8-5

I'll add something else..........

Why start the first game of the season with a previous year bowl winner?  Scheduling for success is so important.  My team, UNT, hasn't learned that.  We go on the road to play LSU, a sure loss for us.  In some cases you lose "casual" fan interest immediately.  UNT hasn't had a season opening game in Denton is something like 10 years.  The UNT Athletic Director is an idiot!  Our new coach McCarney says you can't build a program that way.  I say, schedule like Kansas State did.  Snyder(?) brought KSU back from the dead years ago by scheduling for success.

Even with the right scheduling, Lamar is new.  Give it time people.

Edit:  FYI, Florida International has been playing football for all of 8 years with this season.  Take a look at their records during their startup years.

[url=http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/FloridaInternational.htm]http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/FloridaInternational.htm[/url]

Takes time, but with patience and the right scheduling it can be done.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder