US Women's Gymnastic's Thread

USA qualifies 1st, but defending world champion Jordyn Wieber did not qualify for the all around as she was the 3rd highest qualifier on the US team and only the top 2 from each nation can qualify.

BTW, USA had the 3 highest scores.  So everybody that competes in the all around, other than Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas of the US, will have qualified with a lower score than Wieber.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/gymnastics/story/_/id/8210915/2012-summer-olympics-american-gymnast-jordyn-wieber-qualify-all-around

Gabby Douglas is pure gold in every way, just have to say anyone complaining about her hair needs to get a life. I like what one commenter said on a national web site.  'she had hair' I couldn't see past here smile. I wouldn't care if her hair was a buzz cut and dyed purple. She was awesome.

[quote name="ndn2016" post="1242508" timestamp="1344284309"]
Gabby Douglas is pure gold in every way, just have to say anyone complaining about her hair needs to get a life. I like what one commenter said on a national web site.  'she had hair' I couldn't see past here smile. I wouldn't care if her hair was a buzz cut and dyed purple. She was awesome.
[/quote]

Here is what I don't understand.  I am a person that spends his fair share of time on the internet. I get on twitter, facebook and peruse just about every major sports site there is.  Yet, I have seen no one....and I mean no one....commenting about Gabby's hair.  All I have seen is the widespread condemnation of a comment that I have not seen! 

All that I have seen is the push to let everyone know that she is the first African-American to win the Olympic all around when she, in truth, accomplished the less publicized goal of being the first American woman...black, white, hispanic, asian or other ethnicity...to win a team gold and all around gold.

Had this conversation with the girlfriend tonight.... What happened to Gabby Douglas in the event finals?

You would think that the lady who wins the All-Around Gold would fare better.... I personally think she is mentally and physically exhausted.... To compete at the Olympic level that many consecutive days with that kind of pressure has to be getting to her at only 16 years old.... She has had a great Olympics, but people won't remember it as well as they should because of the beam and bar finals....

Aly Raisman on the other hand has been phenomenal the entire time!!!

[quote name="HubTx" post="1242871" timestamp="1344443359"]
Had this conversation with the girlfriend tonight.... What happened to Gabby Douglas in the event finals?

You would think that the lady who wins the All-Around Gold would fare better.... I personally think she is mentally and physically exhausted.... To compete at the Olympic level that many consecutive days with that kind of pressure has to be getting to her at only 16 years old.... She has had a great Olympics, but people won't remember it as well as they should because of the beam and bar finals....

Aly Raisman on the other hand has been phenomenal the entire time!!!
[/quote]

I also think it is her age and the pressure and exhaustion.  Aly on the other hand is the team captain for a reason.  She is mentally tough and knows how to champion her teammates.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder