Former Orangefield Standout New Coach

Does she have ANY coaching experience? Seems like they are putting this young lady in a tough situation at one of the area's top programs. H-J filled its coaching opening with a coach who won two state championships. Orangefield brought in someone fresh out of college. Good luck

It doesn't save the district any money. The state pays the base salary. School district pays a certain amount above base. It actually probably cost them more because most districts pay young teachers more above base. It isn't like an AD where you set the salary.

How many people applied anyway. I heard the number was low. Like less than 10.

[quote name="catfever" post="1232514" timestamp="1340494687"]
It doesn't save the district any money. The state pays the base salary. School district pays a certain amount above base. It actually probably cost them more because most districts pay young teachers more above base. It isn't like an AD where you set the salary.

[color=red]How many people applied anyway. I heard the number was low. Like less than 10.[/color][/quote]

I can understand why the numbers were low. While Orangefield is an excellent place for a coach's career because they have talent but it is like a pressure cooker. Some coaches don't won't the pressure cooker. It was probably less than 10 in football and it will be less than 10 in volleyball.

She was a great player who played for a very good coach.  I am sure that she picked up alot when she played and probably more since she quit playing.  She was a student of the game while in high school and  am sure that is still the case.  Being from Orangefield she has a real vested interest in the program.  And because she is local maybe she will get the benefit of the doubt on some decisions that may not be popular.  Age is a matter of mind.  If I remember correctly...Bobby Knight got his first head coaching job at age 24....and that was at Division I  Army.  I think that she will do well!!!

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="hoops2000" post="1232638" timestamp="1340579254"]
She was a great player who played for a very good coach.  I am sure that she picked up alot when she played and probably more since she quit playing.  She was a student of the game while in high school and  am sure that is still the case.  Being from Orangefield she has a real vested interest in the program.  And because she is local maybe she will get the benefit of the doubt on some decisions that may not be popular.  Age is a matter of mind.  If I remember correctly...Bobby Knight got his first head coaching job at age 24....and that was at Division I  Army.  I think that she will do well!!!
[/quote]

I agree with you.  She KNOWS basketball and I'm sure she can communicate that to her players.  Further, her young age and energy and the fact that she is HOME should help her motivate the players.  Isn't that the gist of good coaching - communication and motivation?

[quote name="Rizon" post="1232417" timestamp="1340416922"]
23 or 24 and already a head coach. That can be tough when dealing with everything. Good luck to Ms. Sanders.
[/quote]There are many 23 or 24 year olds that are head coaches in girls high school basketball.  Age shouldn't be held against her.  The district must have felt that she is ready for the position.

I helped coach Katie in little dribblers back in the day and you knew then that she was going to be a great player and coach some day. She was like our coach on the court, always knew not only her job or role but everyone else's on the team. She wasn't loaded with talent, she worked her tail off to become that great player, and she'll coach and prepare her teams that same way. I'm sure having played for Coach Ancelot we'll see a lot of her style of play, but she did play college ball too and I'm sure as much basketball as she's seen over the years, she'll have her own little twist on things. She's gonna be out prove something and I'm not sure that anyone is going to out work her!!! She's ready and she wants to be here, that goes such a long way!!! Welcome home Katie Jo!!!

I hope the young lady does well.Sometimes going home and coaching is the toughest place to go.I'll agree age is a matter of mind but experience can't be overlooked.I've enjoyed watching the Orangefield girls in the past and will look forward to seeing them progress this next season.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder