MLB Draft Thread

[quote name="badndn" post="1228591" timestamp="1338909546"]
I have faith in Lunhow. His draft history is outstanding. I have no reason to doubt him at this point.

I guess the question is which would you rather have in 5 years?

A very good 22 year old deffensive SS who hits around .300 and 25+ HRs or possibly a very good deffensive 3B who hits .300 and 35+HRs (if he fills out)

or

A #1 starter that goes every 5th day.

I would rather take a flyer on an everyday guy myself. Because we all know that the MLB draft is a crapshoot.
[/quote]

I agree with what you are saying in most cases, but the Astros farm system is so terrible they need players that will be in the league sooner rather than later.  All those years of Drayton not signing draft picks to save money is biting them in the rear right now. 

[quote name="badndn" post="1228591" timestamp="1338909546"]
I have faith in Lunhow. His draft history is outstanding. I have no reason to doubt him at this point.

A very good 22 year old deffensive SS who hits around .300 and 25+ HRs or possibly a very good deffensive 3B who hits .300 and 35+HRs (if he fills out)

or

I would rather take a flyer on an everyday guy myself. Because we all know that the MLB draft is a crapshoot.
[/quote]

Well lets say Correa becomes what people think he will, which player do you think will actually stay with the Astros? The early 20s SS who draws comparisons to A-Rod, or the #1 pitcher who grew up in Houston and who's favorite team is the Astros. Fact is that Correa becomes what he is projected to be, he will probably not be with the Astros when he hits his prime. Appel has a much higher chance of staying in Houston for a long time.

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1228596" timestamp="1338909982"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=100371.msg1228591#msg1228591 date=1338909546]

or

[/quote]

I agree with what you are saying in most cases, but the Astros farm system is so terrible they need players that will be in the league sooner rather than later.  All those years of Drayton not signing draft picks to save money is biting them in the rear right now.
[/quote]
Why do they need players sooner than later? As Astro's fans we must come to terms with the fact that our home team will struggle for the next several years, but the farm system is getting better. Singleton, Springer, Santana and even Deshields with his SB #'s have posted very good springs so far and Nash has loads of power at 19 years old and could be a future DH if he can cut down on the whiffs. Theres a few good arms in Cosart (as long as he can stay healthy), Folty and this Tropeana kid. Long way to go, but the future is brighter.

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1228601" timestamp="1338910660"]

or

[/quote]

Well lets say Correa becomes what people think he will, which player do you think will actually stay with the Astros? The early 20s SS who draws comparisons to A-Rod, or the #1 pitcher who grew up in Houston and who's favorite team is the Astros. Fact is that Correa becomes what he is projected to be, he will probably not be with the Astros when he hits his prime. Appel has a much higher chance of staying in Houston for a long time.
[/quote]
Appel is a Scott Borras client...Enough Said!!!!

I have a sneaky feeling that Appel will be back in the draft in 2013! And it is quite possible the Astros will have the top pick again!

Read that he refussed to do a Conference call with the Pirates last night.  RED FLAG!

[quote name="badndn" post="1228605" timestamp="1338910854"]
[quote author=falconfanatic link=topic=100371.msg1228601#msg1228601 date=1338910660]

or

[/quote]

[/quote]
Appel is a Scott Borras client...Enough Said!!!!

I have a sneaky feeling that Appel will be back in the draft in 2013! And it is quite possible the Astros will have the top pick again!

Read that he refussed to do a Conference call with the Pirates last night.  RED FLAG!

[/quote]

Actually he refused an interview with the Pittsburgh media, which is understandable. Appel was probably at a draft party with friends and family I wouldn't want to give an interview that night either, especially after sliding. It is better to say no to an interview than to say something stupid that you will regret in the mourning.

Appel may go back to college now. If he was drafted #1 he probably would've signed. There were rumors that Appel would not sign for slot, but nobody knew for sure. The Astros were just being cheap AGAIN they took the player that said he would sign for under slot. The Astros just aren't willing to spend money unless you're a past your prime 30 year old like Carlos Lee.

The only way I will be happy with the Correa pick is if they are able to sign Mccullers with the money they saved by passing on Appel. I doubt they sign Muccllers tho everyone thinks he is the toughest sign of the draft, because of his commitment to college and who his advisor is.

Astros take Nolan Fontana a SS from the University of Florida, and Brady Rodgers a RHP from Arizona State.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1204156-nolan-fontana-to-astros-video-highlights-scouting-report-and-analysis

http://mlbdraftcountdown.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/brady-rodgers-rhp-arizona-state/

[quote name="king" post="1228653" timestamp="1338918385"]
you like them picks falcon?
[/quote]

I don't know anything about the high school kid from Cali, but I like Fontana. He is a solid all around ball player with good defensive skills that can play almost anywhere on the field. He doesn't have any skills that jump off the charts, but he is above average in everything except speed. Most scouts think he will be major league ready pretty fast.

Brady Rodgers is another guy that doesn't have anything that jumps out at you. His fastball sits around 90-91, but he has good command of 4 pitches and can throw all  of them for strikes in any count. He actually knows how to pitch, but his celling isn't as high as other players that were still available. Rodgers is another guy that scouts think could be major league ready pretty quick.

Both these guys have a high baseball IQ and love the game. They're the kind of players that love to compete and will give you everything they have. Imo they are solid picks.

Rogers has a chance to be a good one. Falcon, your profile of him was spot on. He's not overpowering but does a really good job of commanding 4 pitches and staying in or near the strike zone.
Rogers is actually a local guy. 2009(?) grad from Lamar Consolidated...on the team that was beat in 2007 playoffs by Barbers Hill. He was also one of the Little League World Series kids.

Does anyone have info (other than what I know) on lefty taken in 5th by Toronto....
Delatte from Niicholls State.
Not knocking the kid, but have to admit I was very surprised.
First, being a senior and listed at 6'0 180 lbs.
Bio on Nicholls site shows no numbers that really jump out.
Just curious ?

Current or former Sun Devils drafted thru Round 15 (and I apologize if I missed anyone but I don't think I did)

ROUND ONE
#9 MARLINS Andrew Heaney LHP
#12 METS Gavin Cecchini SS
#26 D-BACKS               Stryker Trahan C
#30 YANKEES               Ty Hensley RHP

ROUND TWO
#70 PADRES Dane Phillips C (Nacogdoches) – Okla St./Oklahoma City Univ.

ROUND THREE
#125 PHILLIES               Zach Green  3B
#127 MARLINS               Koby Copeland OF

ROUND FOUR
#156 RANGERS               Jacob Lemoine RHP (Bridge City) reportedly turned down this draft slot  ($277,600) to attend UH

ROUND ELEVEN
#363 D-BACKS               Ben Eckels RHP

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin