Huffman vs. Coldspring Game Thread/Coldspring wins 7-2!

[quote name="Lukethadrifter" post="1214330" timestamp="1335275264"]
Injuries.........LOL.............thats funny.............sounds like you are saying the ONLY possible way that Huffman can lose is if their players are injured.
[/quote]

Well considering Huffman started off the season #8 in the state and has two players ranked in the top 400 high school players in the country ( only other schools in Texas with multiple players on that list is Bridge city, The Woodlands, Klien Collins, and a few others). So yeah I'm saying the only way they didn't cruise through this district like they do every year is because something drastic happened.

Don't have any idea what the reason for the drop off is other than I personally believe they just lost  some really good players from last years squad to graduation...The Huffman team that I saw play about a week ago was nothing close to the squads that they ran out there the last couple of years...

Looked to me that they have several key players playing different positions from last year....Last week they simply didn't make several routine plays that they would've made the last few years...It's possible that they just aren't as talented this year...You can have 2 top 400 players but not come together and execute as a team...

I don't know what their HR numbers are as a team (this year) but they didn't look anything like the team that hit between 40-50 hr's last season...Now whether that has more to do with the new bats or just talent I'm not sure...I'm sure it's some of both but I also can't help but think it's more to do with the talent level right now because (outside of Listi who homered and got robbed of another extra base hit at the top of the wall) I really didn't see alot of hard hit balls during the game that I watched...

I know I only watched the one game (and it's really hard and maybe not fair to make all these assumptions based on just that one game) but that's just my gut feeling on this years Huffman team...

Lame?? Only lame thing on this thread is someone with 5750 posts who sits back and waits for a semi-critical take on some issue and then critiques them. What I said was innocent and obvious in response to the previous post. I just thought it was funny because someone always pulls out the old "injury" card when looking for a reason why their team underachieves or dont play to expectations. Injuries have been and always will be a part of every physical game. Lame?? dude, go back to your momma's basement.

[quote name="Lukethadrifter" post="1216818" timestamp="1335891001"]
Lame?? Only lame thing on this thread is someone with 5750 posts who sits back and waits for a semi-critical take on some issue and then critiques them. What I said was innocent and obvious in response to the previous post. I just thought it was funny because someone always pulls out the old "injury" card when looking for a reason why their team underachieves or dont play to expectations. Injuries have been and always will be a part of every physical game. Lame?? dude, go back to your momma's basement.
[/quote]

I didnt pull out the injury card. I asked if there had been injures or something else happened. There is a reason Huffman has dominated this district in baseball every year.

One poster mentioned a drop in talent, well I could believe that if they had been playing bad all year, but they haven't. They beat some pretty good teams in pre-district and then swept the first round of district and run ruled alot ot the teams in doing so. Then in the second round they drop 3 games? Of course I'm going ask what changed and injures are a logical assumption based on the drop off.

[quote name="Lukethadrifter" post="1216818" timestamp="1335891001"]
[/quote]

YAWN

I will give you that Falcon, you did leave a crack open with the "or what".

And you know what, really, my beef is not with Huffman at all. Love those kids over there. Its the whole excuse thing going in all of our sports, but ESPECIALLY baseball.

Funny thing about people and especially sports fans is that blame is rarely placed where it really belongs. We have heard em all from fans and especially parents when a kid messes up, its always the coaches fault, or the groundskeepers fault, or the guy who installed the lights fault, or my private coaches fault, or last years coaches fault, or the math teacher that made little Bobby mad today's fault, etc. And of course, the old standby, injuries fault. I wasnt "going off" on Huffman and it was perceived that way, I apologize.

Just once, I want to hear a Father greet his son after a bad game with "you know what, you were just awful today and you need to get that fixed asap" instead of "dang umpires" or "stupid coaches" or "bad hops" or "I am calling your personal coach right now".

Sorry, just venting years of frustration with parents and daddyballer's. Thanks for listening. Therapy maybe?? lol

Huffman beat Coldspring the first game in bottom of the 7th inning by getting one run. I think the kids realized that Huffman was not as strong as the years before and was not intimidated the second time they played. When a kid believes and has confidence anything can happen.

This is off topic but to respond to Luke, a Coach should have his team motivated and fundamentally sound or you get, what you get from the parents. Coaches make mistakes same as everyone else but when they don't change or correct what they are doing during the game or how they are practicing and the same mistakes happen year after year, then the Coach is not motivated. Most parents spent a life time watching their kids play competitive sports only to see a Sunday-pick-up-game-attitude from some coaches. Thats why Daddy Ballers and parents blame the coach because somewhere along the line they seen the same kids play better ball either from better practices or different game plans and/or positions. Any parent that has been a part of competitive ball, I'm sure hold their kids to a high standard letting them hear it at the house but the coach put those kids in the position they are in (error or not) and if the coach keeps them there after mistakes then he is to blame.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder