Hempstead ISD Fires Popular Coach

Guest Farmer Fran

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest UHCoog14
These kids today would never have surived "back in the day".

If we acted a fool on the bus, being left at the McDonalds would have been the LEAST of our worries.

Soft and getting softer.

Are you kidding me? The coach is clearly in the wrong here. I don't care what the kids were doing you can not leave them. What if something would've happened? The kids were being kids, if it got out of hand make them run when you get back to school, but you don't leave them at a restaurant. The district was right to fire the coach.

Thank you for your opinion. I am not defending what happend. I am saying as an educator and coach it is our job to teach education and life lessons, even more though today because the majority of the kids are not getting much discpline at home, probably due to the fact the more and more kids are having kids. I called a parent the other day about their childs behavior at school and the parent responded that her child was my problem while at school.  >:(

[quote name="puddleofmudd" post="1208517" timestamp="1334074372"]
Thank you for your opinion. I am not defending what happend. I am saying as an educator and coach it is our job to teach education and life lessons, even more though today because the majority of the kids are not getting much discpline at home, probably due to the fact the more and more kids are having kids. I called a parent the other day about their childs behavior at school and the parent responded that her child was my problem while at school.  >:(
[/quote]

I agree it is your job to teach life lessons. The coach should've found a better way to do it.

Guest UHCoog14
...and in a related story.

http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2012/04/houston-school-bus-drivers-fed-up-with-rowdy-kids/

The coach crossed a line. Just not sure he should have been fired if this was his first offense. If you dealt with these types of issues on a daily basis you would understand the frustration.

I think the Board did good to reconsider.  Sargent only had the other coaches leave the kids.  As I understand it, he did not abandon them.  From what I heard he drove up and picked them up himself while they had a chance to think things over.  Not the smartest thing he could have done, but he clearly has learned his lesson.  Wonder if the kids have learned theirs?  For disobeying a direct command those two kids should be out of Hempstead athletics forever.  Period.

Back in my day my dad would have apologized to the coach and busted my butt. These days kids know that mommy and daddy will side with them whatever they do. Coaches only fault was not calling Jr's parents and telling them their precious little one was at a gas station in Giddings.

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1212077" timestamp="1334762114"]
Back in my day my dad would have apologized to the coach and busted my butt. These days kids know that mommy and daddy will side with them whatever they do. Coaches only fault was not calling Jr's parents and telling them their precious little one was at a gas station in Giddings.
[/quote]

Back in the day nothing....had my kids pulled this stunt they would've received the same "warm welcome" you just described!

[quote name="rollinac" post="1212207" timestamp="1334778559"]
[quote author=Eagle11 link=topic=98748.msg1212077#msg1212077 date=1334762114]
[/quote]

Back in the day nothing....had my kids pulled this stunt they would've received the same "warm welcome" you just described!
[/quote]
Ditto!

[quote name="j_dog" post="1212242" timestamp="1334781586"]
[quote author=rollinac link=topic=98748.msg1212207#msg1212207 date=1334778559]
[quote author=Eagle11 link=topic=98748.msg1212077#msg1212077 date=1334762114]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Ditto!
[/quote]
I am with both of you.......it was a given across the board back in the day.......not so much now.

A lot of folks are getting after falconfanatic for not supporting the actions of Coach Sargent and talk about what had happened in the good old days.  But as I look back, if I had been left behind in another town by a teacher or coach, the prospect of being fired would have been the least of the problems for that person. They would have had an angry father who would have wanted to put him in the hospital. 

That is not to say he would have endorsed my actions had I been the kid who would have messed up.  Any of the range of punishments discussed here would have been acceptable to him and like many have mentioned, I would have faced at least that level of punishment and probably worse upon my return home.  And as an adult, I would agree as well. 

But one action he would NEVER agree with, is leaving a teenage kid unsupervised in another town.  It was his expectation that when I left town on a school function, that my safety was looked after and leaving me in another town unsupervised, no matter how tempting that action would be and how little time it was, would not be looking after my safety and would not be defensible under any circumstances....even the Coach has acknowledged that.

I guess the question that should be asked is would you be so apt to support the decision of the coach if he had left your kid, even having done what these young men did, alone in a town an hour away.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder