Red Card Frenzy

Anyone want to shed some light and tell stories on the red card massacre taking place in the area. Whats the story and were they justified.  Both sides of the story.  And why is it happening? This board needs some discussion.  Girls private dance lessons gets more post... ;D

Asking if the red cards were justified implies poor or biased officiating. It is very doubtful that this would be true, since it has not happened to this extent in previous years. This problem has to be placed squarely on the shoulders of the coaches whose teams are the primary offenders. The UIL reps that are responsible for proper conduct in athletic events in this area need to step now and do something about this, or the responsibility for this problem should pass administratively to them.

I agree I  do not want the referees to think I was questioning their calls.  I however was trying to hear what happened and get some discussion on a very dead board. The refs I have seen this year in our games did a great job.  Just wondering about 3 or 4 reds at a time. I agree also it is the responsibility of the leaders. NO DOUBT. 

I've seen a few given and they were all deserved. A couple were for foul language so there is no argument there. Another one was for stopping a clear goal scoring opportunity (field player grabbed the ball with both hands as it was going into the goal in a JV game!). Another one I saw was a 2nd yellow (of which the first foul was just dumb)! I think overall, players are committing stupid fouls. The yellows given in most of the games I've seen were just dumb fouls! Overall I would say either poor coaching or lack of coaching.

it's a softer game than it used to be, too.  just watch old highlights from the EPL from maybe 15-20 years ago.  challenges that weren't even called back then are now yellows and reds.  the rules are a lot stricter to try and keep players safer.

There is a fine line in letting the players play on and a card - language is showing no self decpline on the field or respect for the ref. I am all for player safety and I need to put that out there before my next statement. When we are able to get a team to the second or third round (rarely)the game is more physical and what would be called here, is a play on by the playoff refs. Personally I like to see the refs let them play and have the game decided by the players. BTW this is coming from a Dad who had to take his son to the ER after a game to get stitches from physical play on the field. There was no foul was called, it was two players playing hard nose soccer( no cheap shots ).     

I believe in letting the players play the game. However, many players are more into going after the player instead of the ball!  If the play is hard and physical but the players are fighting for the ball, keep the cards in the pocket, but when it escalates to going after the player with no play on the ball, cards need to fly! I've seen quite a lot of attacking the player and no cards given.  I can say that 95% of the cards I've seen given, red and yellow, were deserved!  I've also seen serveral dangerous plays go un-carded which only opens up the game to escalation.  Yellow cards given in the right situation will most often keep a game under control.  Every overly physical game I've ever seen could have been avoided with better use of yellows!

Going for the ball is not a justification for dangerous or reckless play.  The general iq for soccer here is poor.  HS games have many kids who lack a basic understanding of the game.  Kids on the field recklessly challenge players claiming "I got the ball."  Glad to know that the officials are being more forceful here -- the quality of officiating in this area has been poor, poor.  So much so that if you had a very skillful kid, you may opt out of hs ball as it is more dangerous to a kid like that (being on a field with kids at or near his or her skill level is a better deal for the kid).  HS games involve great discrepancies in skill level on the field.  That can be dangerous for the very advanced players.  Here is a quote from "Advice to Referees":

"Making contact with the opponent before the ball when making a tackle is unfair and should be penalized.  However, the fact that contact with the ball was made first does not automatically mean that the tackle is fair. [i]The declaration by a player that he or she has "got the ball first" is irrelevant if, while tackling for the the ball, the player carelessly, recklessly, or with excessive force commits any of the prohibited actions." [/i] (italics in original)

And, on top of that, using insulting, offensive, or abusive language is a sending off offense (red card).  A lot of people do not know that either. 

Not relevant to this topic put two spring cup's ago I did a study on cards given and title's won for a particular season. Lonestar the club out of Austin is known for their physical and often considered dirty play.

I went to the website that showed the National Cup titles ( highest available in Spring Cup Play)  And the Lone Star Club had more cards than Albion, Challenge and Eclipse combined. These are brackets from U11 to U18  but a crazy coincidence they also had 70% or better of the state titles... I do not promote violence in soccer... that's Football... I like composure and tatical precision enhanced by elite atheleticism and speed.

but their aggression seemed to be rewarded with titles.. I actually watched them try to beat a team  into submission but it actually worked against them... like a boxer they punched themselves out. And the opponent which I was rooting for took charge of the second half and won the game 1- nil!!

[quote name="texcoug" post="1193686" timestamp="1331135173"]
Going for the ball is not a justification for dangerous or reckless play.  The general iq for soccer here is poor.  HS games have many kids who lack a basic understanding of the game.  Kids on the field recklessly challenge players claiming "I got the ball."  Glad to know that the officials are being more forceful here -- the quality of officiating in this area has been poor, poor.  So much so that if you had a very skillful kid, you may opt out of hs ball as it is more dangerous to a kid like that (being on a field with kids at or near his or her skill level is a better deal for the kid).  HS games involve great discrepancies in skill level on the field.  That can be dangerous for the very advanced players.  Here is a quote from "Advice to Referees":

"Making contact with the opponent before the ball when making a tackle is unfair and should be penalized.  However, the fact that contact with the ball was made first does not automatically mean that the tackle is fair. [i]The declaration by a player that he or she has "got the ball first" is irrelevant if, while tackling for the the ball, the player carelessly, recklessly, or with excessive force commits any of the prohibited actions." [/i] (italics in original)

And, on top of that, using insulting, offensive, or abusive language is a sending off offense (red card).  A lot of people do not know that either.
[/quote]

High school soccer has their own set of rules and they are not governed by the LOTG. For instance, swearing is a yellow card unless at the ref when it's a red.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86