**#5 SILSBEE vs. #1 LAVEGA Broadcast**/La Vega wins 61-59

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="MBaller#1" post="1192075" timestamp="1330879388"]
Will silsbee's talent level drop off after next year or will they have another good group coming  up after this group
[/quote]

The Best player in Silsbee is 11ys old Devin Harper ranked #1 in his class, i saw 6 Jr. High kids that better better than 97% or the JV and Freshman players...

[quote name="SHS_Mayor" post="1192112" timestamp="1330884607"]
[quote author=MBaller#1 link=topic=97059.msg1192075#msg1192075 date=1330879388]
Will silsbee's talent level drop off after next year or will they have another good group coming  up after this group
[/quote]

The Best player in Silsbee is 11ys old Devin Harper ranked #1 in his class, i saw 6 Jr. High kids that better better than 97% or the JV and Freshman players...
[/quote]
I think you mean Devon McCain.  His class (5th grade) is filled with talent.

I am confused. The Silsbee players are always dancing and taunting the opposing teams. You reap what you sow. I can't believe that some people have the gall to complain about the coach from LaVega's antics after the game. Your players' bad sportsmanship is second to none. Some of the players were calling the HJ boys teasing them and asking them how it felt to have to go home. Now I ask the same question, how does it feel to have to go home?

[quote name="cbosha" post="1192125" timestamp="1330887533"]
I am confused. The Silsbee players are always dancing and taunting the opposing teams. You reap what you sow. I can't believe that some people have the gall to complain about the coach from LaVega's antics after the game. Your players' bad sportsmanship is second to none. Some of the players were calling the HJ boys teasing them and asking them how it felt to have to go home. Now I ask the same question, how does it feel to have to go home?
[/quote]

First of all you are talking about kids, they are talking about a grown man.. Now I will say your son is one of the most well mannered I gave seen but I have seen HJ players running their mouths during games as well as throwing elbows and tripping players.  Most teams have some. As far as calling players, these players must be friends to have each others numbers.  So I am sure, they were giving each othera hard time like most friends who compete do.

I don't care if it is a kid or if it is an adult. Bad sportsmanship is bad sportsmanship.. When Silsbee beat us the first time, they were taunting our players, dancing, taking their shirts off. It was ridiculous. When we won, we just walked off of the court. You cannot compare our kids to your kids. When I think of Silsbee, the first thing that comes to mind is "ghettofabulous". They need to teach the kids how to behave with some class. By the way, you were referring to my nephew, not my son. I am logged in under my sister's name, because I don't have a profile. ;). My nephew has some "home training".

Glad they lost in similar fashion. Parents called me all night telling me HJ has no heart and can't handle pressure. They even had the nerves to call me at half time when they were up 11. Told those parents Hj was up double digits also. They went on to say, we aint yall, we got guards and a coach. Lmao

[quote name="Tebowing" post="1192140" timestamp="1330892928"]
Glad they lost in similar fashion. Parents called me all night telling me HJ has no heart and can't handle pressure. They even had the nerves to call me at half time when they were up 11. Told those parents Hj was up double digits also. They went on to say, we aint yall, [b]we got guards and a coach[/b]. Lmao
[/quote]

Coach???  Hahahahahahahahaha!!!  Silsbee has a great coach in Sigler, but I would take Sutherland all day over Sigler!!!  Have of Silsbee would as well!!!

After the first game you had a reaction to a game winning shot. A knee jerk reaction.  In the second game after a shot at the end that put HJ to the win, the player turned mouthing to the Tiger fans. Same type of reaction, no big deal in my opinion. Just kids being kids, heck of I had made either shot, I would have been celebrating and I am definitely far from ghettofabulous!

Seems a few hawk fans are bitter that an over-achieving Tiger team beat the "best since 91" Hawk squad. Must really bother them that a team that consists mostly of multi-sport players routinely beats their one sport only school's tail.

Cue the more state champs argument now from them. They have a long time before they can get excited about basketball season rolling around again. We in Silsbee will go watch the ghettofabulous baseball team compete for district, then a good Tiger football team, then we'll watch our basketball team win district again. HJ fans are lucky in the fact that they can start saving up their gas money for next season now, so yet again next year they can claim to travel better than anyone.

Why would we be bitter? Ultimately it is just a game. It is my understanding that Silsbee does not have any basketball state championships. We have 2 girls basketball state championships and 3 boys state championships. I don't understand how you guys can call us a one sport school, because if I am not mistaken, we also have several golf and tennis championships as well.. We at HJ understand that it is more then a game, it is about character building as well. This is a concept that you guys don't seem to get. Who plays music and has their bench players dance to it 3 minutes before half-time? Isn't that what happened during the first playoff game? Classless, to say the least. I am glad you guys lost, it made my night. I slept very well.  :P

Dont recall any music before halftime of any playoff game. I will say this though it really takes a lot of 'class' for any adult to come on here and repeatedly call a group of kids classless. Sounds like the definition of 'ghettofabulous' to me.

Have tried my best not to chime in on this but I can't help myself.  The difficulty, of course, is only seeing things from my perspective which includes an obvious bias to Hj just as everybody else on here has to the team he or she supports, whether or not they wish to acknowledge it.  When I saw Mr.Bosha's name come into play, I decided to give my 2 cents worth.  In spite of my HJ  bias, I can honestly say I  have seen few if any players who have ever conducted themselves more properly than Mr. Bosha does.  This is going to serve him well after he" probably doesn’t make the NBA" and has to go out in this world and provide for himself.  He understands there is a certain protocol that ought to be followed and he will not waste a bunch of years learning to adjust to that protocol or failing to adjust and not getting where he would like to be.  He already understands that beating your chest and making the "slit your throat" signal, among other things really won't work in the long run beyond basketball.( I am not sure it even works in basketball - it may very well give more motivation to an opponent)  He understands he has a responsibility to play as well as he can and to attempt to beat his opponent at the game of basketball by playing well  rather than some pathetic cheap tactic that some employ  because they believe it gives them "the edge" and they think creates respect from their peers.  Yes, these are young adults and they are going through a process of learning what to do.  Some are much further ahead on the learning curve.  Those that our "behind  on the curve" are not the exclusive property of any team and can be found most anywhere.  For the adults on this board, we all know who is "ahead on the learning curve" and who is "behind on the learning curve".  For those who are behind, I think it is a disservice to them to defend their actions or simply to say it was ok because some other guy behaved the same way or possibly worse.  Those tactics that I mentioned earlier are shortcuts and will be less and less effective as time goes by(after high school).  If we continue to defend and justify that behavior, it will simply encourage them to maintain that conduct which ultimately will provide disappointing results.  I have seen a number of games this year (not just HJ games) where the individual about to jump to start the game offers a handshake to the opponent.  When the opponent refuses, I have a problem with that.  Please don’t tell me its because he is "trying to get his game face on" or is "focusing on what he needs to do" because we both know that simply ain't the case.  I have seen some games where losing teams refuse to shake hands with the opposing team  after its over and it is not justifiable, particularly with comments like " he is despondent over the loss or he is just a highly spirited competitor- give me a break.  It  simply puts those individuals "further behind on the learning curve".  If you get too far behind on that curve, there is a good chance you are going to be a substantial under performer in the much larger game of life where so many more years are involved.  If you want to try to help these kids not to fail in the bigger game, encourage them to behave properly and don’t try to justify inappropriate actions.  They can do that and still be very successful at basketball.  None of the above is directed at a specific team, coach, or player.  However, if the shoe fits - -

We at Hj win with class and we lose with class. You guys just lose.  ;). I speak the truth, but I don't blame the kids. I place the blame on the adults who allow them to behave in such a way.. I am far from ghetto. I have 2 college degrees, I own 2 homes etc. I just think it is a shame the type of example you guys are setting for these kids. You are this website defending them instead of trying to correct the behavior.

[quote name="ST413" post="1192149" timestamp="1330893661"]
After the first game you had a reaction to a game winning shot. A knee jerk reaction.  In the second game after a shot at the end that put HJ to the win, the player turned mouthing to the Tiger fans. Same type of reaction, no big deal in my opinion. Just kids being kids, heck of I had made either shot, I would have been celebrating and I am definitely far from ghettofabulous!
[/quote]I agree with the Silsbee win.  C'mon, man!  You just hit a miracle turn around jumper from 35 feet away at the buzzer!!!!  I'd be running around like a maniac.  Shirts off?  Is that taunting?  I wasn't aware of that.

I can't (and won't) speak for the HJ win, because I didn't see it.

Nash you are correct about Bosha, he iis in the games I have seen has better our just as good behavior as anyone else on the court. And I have not always come on here and defended actions even of our players.  The first playoff game had an incident that I saw that was a reaction but definitely the wrong reaction.  We dont need those types of actions.  Maybe some of the celebration after the first game went overboard but in that situation how anyone would react.  These trans knoe each other all too well. They have many friends on thr other team.  I know whenever I am competing in those situations we are always giving each other h@ll! As long as it is clean, I see no problem  if it is dirty or hateful that is completely different. As I have said, I have seen some good and some bad out of each team.  I do feel that there has been some bitterness from some on the HJ side ever since the Tigers beat then because they felt that we shouldn't have been able to stay close. This has been a great rivalry its a shame some fans from both sides have to cast such negative shadows over it.

[quote name="ST413" post="1192189" timestamp="1330900632"]
Nash you are correct about Bosha, he iis in the games I have seen has better our just as good behavior as anyone else on the court. And I have not always come on here and defended actions even of our players.  The first playoff game had an incident that I saw that was a reaction but definitely the wrong reaction.  We dont need those types of actions.  Maybe some of the celebration after the first game went overboard but in that situation how anyone would react.  These trans knoe each other all too well. They have many friends on thr other team.  I know whenever I am competing in those situations we are always giving each other h@ll! As long as it is clean, I see no problem  if it is dirty or hateful that is completely different. As I have said, I have seen some good and some bad out of each team.  I do feel that there has been some bitterness from some on the HJ side ever since the Tigers beat then because they felt that we shouldn't have been able to stay close. This has been a great rivalry its a shame some fans from both sides have to cast such negative shadows over it.
[/quote]

Not sure about the "bitter because we shouldnt stay close" theory.  It never matters in those games who is #1 and who isnt ranked or who is undefeated and who is playing 500 ball.  The games are likely to always be competitive because of the rivalry.  Silsbee was the supposedly clear cut favorite last year but found themselves behind in the first game by double digits, on their home floor, more proof that anything can happen when these two teams play and it is foolish to expect dominance by either team.  I guess in my old age, appropriate conduct/ behavior becomes more important to me and I just believe we ought to encourage it and never defend it.

I dont have a problem with that, yet earlier in the year someone on here made a comment that Sean has had problems with his temper. He was defended to no end.  I can from the 6 or so HJ games I saw this this year, he did quite well in that respect, but I had seen that problem myself on the past.

Thanks Steve Nash for the compliment. My nephew understands that there are consequences to his actions. If he gets out of line, he will be reprimanded accordingly. That's why I don't think you will ever see him do the"slit your thought" sign and you won't see him doing the "stanky leg" dance at half-time of any game.

[quote name="ST413" post="1192192" timestamp="1330901702"]
I dont have a problem with that, yet earlier in the year someone on here made a comment that Sean has had problems with his temper. He was defended to no end.  I can from the 6 or so HJ games I saw this this year, he did quite well in that respect, but I had seen that problem myself on the past.
[/quote]

I have no doubt about that.  But if you will get real honest here, we tend to see/acknowledge the "problems" that we want to see/acknowledge as opposed to acknowledging all of them.