165plus pitches?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Numberoneonly" post="1188361" timestamp="1330484960"]
Just watched a kid throw 165plus pitches in a high school game.....wth don't want to give any names but Jesus.
[/quote]

Pitch count is extremely overrated as a injury prevention tool. As long as the  pitcher maintiained good mechanics throughout the game and properly recovers he should be fine. Injuries can happen when the pitcher tires and looses his mechanics manly when the arm drags behind the body or the  pitcher drops his elbow below the shoulder. Those two things will put massive amounts of stress on the shoulder and elbow which will lead to injuries. However as long as the pitcher had good mechanics throughout the game he will be fine.

Dice K once threw back to back 9 inning games when he was in High school. Now I wouldn't recommend that, but it shows that the number of pitches does not directly relate to injury.

[quote name="westend1" post="1188387" timestamp="1330486165"]
BS.  You don't throw a kid 165 pitches, especially early in the year in a meaningless game.  Pathetic.
[/quote]

Its not BS. I never said I agreed with the decision. I just said the the number 165 means nothing. Its more about when the pitcher tires and looses his mechanics. Depending on what shape the pitcher is and other things such as  the weather a pitcher can tire at 80 pitcher or 170. The number alone is overrated.

[quote name="bmtball" post="1188399" timestamp="1330486769"]
Come on. Dice K consistently had weak arm and ended up with Tommy John surgery. A high schooler throwing that many pitches asks for trouble later in his career, if not this year.
[/quote]

Threw back to back 9innings games as an 18 year old, but his arm was so weak that he dominated in Japan and made it to the majors years after? Remember dice K didnt even get to mlb until he was 27. What ever arm problems dice K had were not becasue he threw too many pitches in high school.

[quote name="baseball25" post="1188428" timestamp="1330488132"]
Falcon thats way to many pitches this early in season!! its that simple
[/quote]

Never said it wasn't. I just think people focus on the number of pitches way too much. Pitch count can be usefull,, but it shouldn't be the only thing determining when a pitcher should come out. Some coaches will put a limit at 100, but in reality 100 is just a number. Some pitchers will tire before they get to 100 and some are capable of going much further.

Guest UHCoog14
Just be sure and update us on this kid in about a month. His arm will be beyond "dead". No reason this early in the season to go that deep in a meaningless non-district game.

I played against Josh Beckett in HS.  His dad had him on a pitch count and let him throw 75 pitches in the daytime and 85 at night.  He would go to the dugout and tell the coach when his son had to come out of the game.  Our parents talked to Beckett's dad and asked him why he did that.  His response was, that kid has a Million dollar arm and I'm not letting the jack#$% in the dugout ruin that. 

Seems like Mr. Beckett knew what he was talking about.

Guest basketball25
I mean i have thrown that many pitches in college but it was late into the season, alot of major league pitchers  have pitch counts the first 3 months atleast, my cousin went over 125 for the first time in his major league career just last yr!!

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1188490" timestamp="1330492957"]
I played against Josh Beckett in HS.  His dad had him on a pitch count and let him throw 75 pitches in the daytime and 85 at night.  He would go to the dugout and tell the coach when his son had to come out of the game.  Our parents talked to Beckett's dad and asked him why he did that.  His response was, that kid has a Million dollar arm and I'm not letting the jack#$% in the dugout ruin that. 

Seems like Mr. Beckett knew what he was talking about.
[/quote]

I know a few of other dads that did the same thing....two or in the minors and another fixin to be.  165 is a felony !

[quote name="football" post="1188571" timestamp="1330519930"]
Mr Becckett would have to find another high school for his son!! Probably way too many pitches this early but it is the coach's call.  If you don't like it, take your kid down the road to one of the experts on here and let them stick with select ball.
[/quote]

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
I take it you or your kid had a bad experience with baseball.

pitch count is completely underrated in high school.  Kids and coaches talk about it like they have reached milestones.....kid threw 128 pitches in the game. I agree there is no magic number, each kid has his own limits depending on their physical condition, size, strength, and of course mechanics.  Japan has a completely different conditioning strategy and train for duration and control vs explosive and effective.  Seems to me the experts are pretty close on the 100 count and three full days of rest for men in excellent shape and have the most training.  After all, millions of dollars on the line, its worth their while to get it right???  Yet HS coaches go way way over it all the time, especially early in the season when it means absolutely nothing.  Last game of season, don't advance unless you win, kid is not planning on next level play....at least that is an attempt to rationalize putting a kids arm health in jeopardy.  You see it every year, kid pitches full game once a week, pitching till his arm is hanging and he's not affective 100-140 pitches, and they wonder why they can't advance in playoffs:  their best arms on the team are DEAD.  I know it's not malicious but it is way more important than they realize.

Guest basketball25
http://www.boydsworld.com/breadcrumbs/2005_ncaa_pap.html

I am  on that list and you know what my arm kills me everyday from the wear and tear from that 2005 yr and I was never the same in 2006, plus I need to get my elbow cleaned out because I hurt every single day!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder