Hamshire-Fannett AD/HC now open

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the absolute stupidest arguement on this forum... It's this simple.

[u][b]Assuming[/b][/u] that kids have a SIMILAR skill set, receive SIMILAR levels of coaching ( to better understand the game and it's situations ), and are afforded SIMILAR opportunities to play - THE BIGGER, FASTER, STRONGER KID WILL ALWAYS WIN.

Count on it.

Now, can we please get back to who would be a good fit for the H-F athletic program...?

[quote name="Football Freak 1" post="1192378" timestamp="1330957004"]
This is the absolute stupidest arguement on this forum... It's this simple.

[u][b]Assuming[/b][/u] that kids have a SIMILAR skill set, receive SIMILAR levels of coaching ( to better understand the game and it's situations ), and are afforded SIMILAR opportunities to play - THE BIGGER, FASTER, STRONGER KID WILL ALWAYS WIN.

Count on it.

Now, can we please get back to who would be a good fit for the H-F athletic program...?
[/quote]You forgot to include the older kids who for whatever reason were held back a grade ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1192350" timestamp="1330955152"]
I think basic weight training should start in middle school.
[/quote]

You are correct, but "some parents" write or have a "very qualified sports trainer" write some excuse for their kid to not participate in the workouts.  At both the middle school and high school level, right Dove!  ::)

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1192409" timestamp="1330959946"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=96529.msg1192383#msg1192383 date=1330957235]
Typical "football" response.
[/quote]

This is after all, the football forum
[/quote]
And this is what we are discussing...the selfish, self centered nature of football fans and coaches in particular...BFS (Bigger, Faster, Stronger) is a very good system for athletics...but football coaches fail to realize that other sports do not always require brute strength to be good...Give me SKILL and Strength over the STRONGEST, BIGGEST, kid anyday.  I agree with much of what you guys are saying about getting stronger, but I think skill development is just as important.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1192119" timestamp="1330886513"]
Wildcatter, apples and oranges.  Sutherland has only, if I count it correctly, 3 on his team and only one starter who played football for Coach Martel.  HF had AT LEAST 3 starters who were playing football for Price.  It is easy to say let the basketball team start with it's skill set in August as opposed to November, but are you going to tell the football coaches that his players have to be training for another sport that they are currently in season for football?  I don't think so. 89falcon is right on.

BTW, how are we talking about BASKETBALL training in the FOOTBALL forum.
[/quote]

89falcon is correct on the weight training!

HF had ALL but three play football.  One of those three started, and they all happened to be seniors, and are all multisport athletes.  So everyone was in the weight room year round.  Obviously it has helped these kids become a more competitive program!

[quote name="killingmesmalls" post="1192411" timestamp="1330960242"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=96529.msg1192350#msg1192350 date=1330955152]
I think basic weight training should start in middle school.
[/quote]

You are correct, but "some parents" write or have a "very qualified sports trainer" write some excuse for their kid to not participate in the workouts.  At both the middle school and high school level, right Dove!  ::) 
[/quote] The person in question had to stop lifting weights based on doctor's orders, not a trainer because blood was found...........wow! Doctor said stop with the weight lifting for awhile. Someone at HF High (you maybe?) felt he was ducking from weights. He had been complaining about pain for awhile but he still did the weights. Now, do you really want me to bring this up......hmmm?  WOW! Sad! And at the middle school, the younger never stopped lifting. So what is your point, dude? 8)

Where are all the football nuts on the basket topics??  Basketball nuts want to come on the football site and blather on about how weights training is specific to football and that Athletic Directors should promote all sports.  You  live in Texas which is in the south where football is dominant.  You have an education but are obviously not educated.  Do the math University of Texas had a profit of 89 million dollars this year in football so they can make millions of dollars in one home game.  Now in high school a football game will have the football team which can be as large as 100 members then you add on the cheerleaders, drill team and band.  That is a ton of students that are a part of every Friday night.  So when you pay Coach Price 80K to rebuild a athletic program the one with the most impact is football.  Dove you can move to another school and please do but it is always the same football is and always will be king.  If you find recruiting in High school acceptable but UOS workouts not then you are hypocritical.  ask DV to explain to you what that means

[quote name="Dove Hunter" post="1192446" timestamp="1330965478"]
Where are all the football nuts on the basket topics??  Basketball nuts want to come on the football site and blather on about how weights training is specific to football and that Athletic Directors should promote all sports.  You  live in Texas which is in the south where football is dominant.  You have an education but are obviously not educated.  Do the math University of Texas had a profit of 89 million dollars this year in football so they can make millions of dollars in one home game.  Now in high school a football game will have the football team which can be as large as 100 members then you add on the cheerleaders, drill team and band.  That is a ton of students that are a part of every Friday night.  So when you pay Coach Price 80K to rebuild a athletic program the one with the most impact is football.  Dove you can move to another school and please do but it is always the same football is and always will be king.  If you find recruiting in High school acceptable but UOS workouts not then you are hypocritical.  ask DV to explain to you what that means
[/quote] Reading is so FUN-DUM-MENTAL! Where have I said weight training is not acceptable?  ::)

Such cavemen.... ::).."uga, uga, football king around here! uga!"...Look, I am fully aware that BECAUSE of all of the extras pertaining to football (band, cheerleaders, drill team , etc.) the gate at games makes a considerable amount of profit, FOR THAT REASON ONLY...Take all of that away from HS football games, as it is in basketball, and you will see a CONSIDERABLE drop in revenue. I would like to add that at OZEN HS in 2000-2003, I would be willing bet that the basketball program made more money for the school and the district than the football program did, due to the simple fact that we played more HOME games, while having one of the largest followings in SE Texas, while the football team played at Lamar University's stadium, so it IS possible... UOS works for football, because football DOES NOT REQUIRE MUCH SKILL, with the exception of a few "skill" positions...Maybe you should re-think your "king" football theory, because, it is not what it used to be..Particularly HERE in SE Texas...When was the last time a SE Texas team won state again? 1987 West Orange Stark, maybe? Its been a long time since football was "king" around these parts... ;)