National Anthem

Do you place your hand over your heart during The National Anthem?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you place your hand over your heart during The National Anthem?

• Yes
    • No

Do you place your hand over your heart during The National Anthem?

This topic was brought up bc some players were not doing so before a game last week. I think everyone places their hand over their heart during The Pledge of Allegiance, but it seems less people do so during the NA.

Ur thoughts?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1173781" timestamp="1328657559"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=95659.msg1173771#msg1173771 date=1328656710]
Another question, do you put your right hand or your left hand over your heart like Obama does? ;) ;D
[/quote]Liar, he uses both hands.
[/quote]
AAW doesn't even have to watch Fox News to get that information.  ;)

[quote name="Wampus Kitty" post="1173820" timestamp="1328663930"]
absolutely why would you even ask... its to honor your country
[/quote]
It was brought up on another thread about a team not placing their hand over their heart. Someone spoke their mind about it, and stated the school district should do something about it.

I noticed that the Beaumont schools, in particular, dont put their hands over their hearts for the NA.  Not sure why they dont do that but just the way it is...I saw one person from a BISD school actually talking on his cell phone while the song was being sung....pretty sad really that someone cant put down their cell phone, stand tall, put their hand over their heart and face the flag for 3 minutes. 

Hand over your heart just shows respect.

I was at an Orangefield girls game a few weeks ago.  It was time for the anthem....the cd quit working after the beginning of the song and the entire gym started singing and finished the anthem without missing a beat.  It was a quite a moment that made you proud to be from a small town where the National Anthem is still respected.  Glad I was a part of that moment.  :)

[quote name="texas2step4u" post="1174124" timestamp="1328678217"]
I noticed that the Beaumont schools, in particular, dont put their hands over their hearts for the NA.  Not sure why they dont do that but just the way it is...I saw one person from a BISD school actually talking on his cell phone while the song was being sung....pretty sad really that someone cant put down their cell phone, stand tall, put their hand over their heart and face the flag for 3 minutes.
[/quote]So, how many Bmt. games have you attended this season?

Some people will find ANYTHING to complain about.... ::)..you guys CAN'T be serious here....Do you watch college basketball? The players usually line up and place their right hands on their teammates shoulders....Mr. Baller, (the guy that started this madness) find something else to gripe about..... ::)

I will admit that I stand up but I don't put my hand over my heart but I'm not intentionally being disrespectful IMO. Is it written in stone that this is a way to show respect for our country or is this a preconceived notion? Don't fly off the deep handle, I am merely asking a question.

[quote name="uandme08" post="1174190" timestamp="1328709116"]
I will admit that I stand up but I don't put my hand over my heart but I'm not intentionally being disrespectful IMO. Is it written in stone that this is a way to show respect for our country or is this a preconceived notion? Don't fly off the deep handle, I am merely asking a question.
[/quote]As I said earlier, I think the regulation states even in military uniform and inside you can stand at attention w/o saluting. Maybe some military guy can comment. So as a civilian, certainly standing at attention is acceptable.

I believe standing at attention IS acceptable, although I do place my hand over my heart. What makes my blood boil is when people do not remove their hats or when people talk and laugh during the song. I will actually say something to them afterwards if they are talking during the NA.

[quote name="Death Valley fan" post="1174153" timestamp="1328700988"]
Hand over your heart just shows respect.

I was at an Orangefield girls game a few weeks ago.  It was time for the anthem....the cd quit working after the beginning of the song and the entire gym started singing and finished the anthem without missing a beat.  It was a quite a moment that made you proud to be from a small town where the National Anthem is still respected.  Glad I was a part of that moment.  :)
[/quote]I am sure it is a moment you will never forget--wish I had been a part of it as well.  Our country is not perfect by any means but still a heckuva place to live!

A little military service will make you appreciate the meaning of the National Anthem and what it represents.
It bothers me more that people talk and goof around during the NA but most reflect what their parents do and if their parentsdon't correct them, it will eventually become meaningless.  How many kids know the sacrifice of what happened in Vietnam?  They become less and less because Veterans Day and Memorial Day are treated like any other holiday and some places treat them like another day of the week.  in our scool system the option is there to be in school on those holidays but not MLK Day.  Something is wrong with that picture.

[quote name="WordMan2" post="1174272" timestamp="1328713966"]
A little military service will make you appreciate the meaning of the National Anthem and what it represents.
It bothers me more that people talk and goof around during the NA but most reflect what their parents do and if their parentsdon't correct them, it will eventually become meaningless.  How many kids know the sacrifice of what happened in Vietnam?  They become less and less because Veterans Day and Memorial Day are treated like any other holiday and some places treat them like another day of the week.  in our scool system the option is there to be in school on those holidays but not MLK Day.  Something is wrong with that picture.
[/quote]Definitely wrong with this picture. Most schools use MLK Day as a staff development day, not a holiday. ;)

[/quote]
:o WHAT? MLK Day? NEDERLAND ISD DID NOT observe the MLK Holiday...It was a TEACHER INSERVICE DAY...Man don't get me started, please...Hey, by the way...your hood is showing... ::)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1174284" timestamp="1328714411"]
[quote author=WordMan2 link=topic=95659.msg1174272#msg1174272 date=1328713966]
[/quote]
:o WHAT? MLK Day? NEDERLAND ISD DID NOT observe the MLK Holiday...It was a TEACHER INSERVICE DAY...Man don't get me started, please...Hey, by the way...your hood is showing... ::)
[/quote]LOL! You are your father's son.  ;D

I just found this by googling National Anthem etiquette.  I never really thought about there being any sort of prescibed rules regarding etiqutte during the palying or singing of the National Anthem prior to reading this thread although I am not suprised to find that there are.  I guess standing, removing my cap and placing my hand over my heart is just what I saw others do when I was young and now feel it is what is neccessary to show proper respect to my country.  Below is the information I found:

In 2007, Congress addressed this for the first time in 36 USC 301. This U.S. Code therefore created the first mandated national anthem etiquette.

The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and placing the right hand over the heart (the salute). Uniformed personnel, firefighters, law enforcement officers, and military personnel in uniform should render a hand salute.

When the national anthem is played or sung, U.S. citizens should stand straight and rigid and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the singer. 

[quote name="Puma" post="1174303" timestamp="1328715219"]
I just found this by googling National Anthem etiquette.  I never really thought about there being any sort of prescibed rules regarding etiqutte during the palying or singing of the National Anthem prior to reading this thread although I am not suprised to find that there are.  I guess standing, removing my cap and placing my hand over my heart is just what I saw others do when I was young and now feel it is what is neccessary to show proper respect to my country.  Below is the information I found:

In 2007, Congress addressed this for the first time in 36 USC 301. This U.S. Code therefore created the first mandated national anthem etiquette.

[b]The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and placing the right hand over the heart (the salute).[/b] Uniformed personnel, firefighters, law enforcement officers, and military personnel in uniform should render a hand salute.

When the national anthem is played or sung, U.S. citizens should stand straight and rigid and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the singer.
[/quote]

Not sure why anyone would have a problem with this but it's a free country!

[quote name="LumRaiderFan" post="1174319" timestamp="1328715895"]
[quote author=Puma link=topic=95659.msg1174303#msg1174303 date=1328715219]

[b]The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and placing the right hand over the heart (the salute).[/b] Uniformed personnel, firefighters, law enforcement officers, and military personnel in uniform should render a hand salute.

[/quote]

[b]Not sure why anyone would have a problem with this but it's a free country![/b]
[/quote]

This is what I thought too....Its not like the kids were wearing black gloves and holding a fist in the air in protest! GOODNESS! ::)

It bothers me more that people talk and goof around during the NA but most reflect what their parents do and if their parentsdon't correct them, it will eventually become meaningless.  [b]How many kids know the sacrifice of what happened in Vietnam?  They become less and less because Veterans Day and Memorial Day are treated like any other holiday and some places treat them like another day of the week[/b].  in our scool system the option is there to be in school on those holidays but not MLK Day.  Something is wrong with that picture.
[/quote]

My husband is a military veteran and we have ALWAYS attended the Veterans Day and Memorial Day services that are put on sometimes we attend both the morning one and the afternoon one with our children.  We have a glad flying out side of our home since the day we were married.  We have also taught our children to respect the flag and its meaning.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476